Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Match? Does it get me anything?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Status Match? Does it get me anything?

Trying to figure out if I should try for a US status match from UA.

Long story short, used to fly UA a lot and had a truckload of miles but stopped flying for a while and had no status this year. New job requires me to go from PHL-PHX, LAX and SEA on a semi regular basis. The boss flies US so I have to fly US. With virtually zero miles in my US account, I decided to accrue miles on UA for most of my flights this year.

Now looking back that might not have been the best idea. When I fly to SEA next week, I will qualify for Premier on UA which does little for me if my flying is going to be on US.

So would it be worthwhile to ask for a status match? Would I have a better shot at F upgrades with US? Do the FTers think that I would be granted the match?

I guess in the end, it can't hurt to apply since I get nothing if I don't ask. And I expect flying to be on US for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr_edward_p
\ The boss flies US so I have to fly US. \.

I would get a new job. With a boss like that, wonder what other bone-headed moves he/she will make???

Seriously, US is a shell of what it was. Dont expect anything, and your expectations will be met!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I would get a new job. With a boss like that, wonder what other bone-headed moves he/she will make???
Well, its not quite that bad. Basic reasoning is that we fly together. If I were to take a connecting flight on another airline soley for miles purposes and ended up being late to business meetings that would be bad. If we are both late, I can lay it on him.

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Seriously, US is a shell of what it was. Dont expect anything, and your expectations will be met!
I am more irritated about how bad things have been out of PHL than anything US has done (although I guess they are intertwined).
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: US CP; Marriott Silver; SPG Gold; PC Platinum
So would it be worthwhile to ask for a status match? Would I have a better shot at F upgrades with US? Do the FTers think that I would be granted the match?

I guess in the end, it can't hurt to apply since I get nothing if I don't ask. And I expect flying to be on US for the foreseeable future.
As Premier with UA, they would match you to DM Silver. If you are flying on biz days (Sun night/Mon morning and Thur night/Friday morning), I think you are going to have a difficult time getting upgraded on those flights.

But as you were saying you have to start flying on US, so I'd go ahead and get the status match. Just don't have an expectation of getting upgraded frequently. It's also a once in a lifetime deal so make sure you'll use it.

You will get the 25% bonus miles, ability to book exit row seats and board early. Nice to have even if you aren't sitting in 1st.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tombyron
As Premier with UA, they would match you to DM Silver. If you are flying on biz days (Sun night/Mon morning and Thur night/Friday morning), I think you are going to have a difficult time getting upgraded on those flights.

But as you were saying you have to start flying on US, so I'd go ahead and get the status match. Just don't have an expectation of getting upgraded frequently. It's also a once in a lifetime deal so make sure you'll use it.

You will get the 25% bonus miles, ability to book exit row seats and board early. Nice to have even if you aren't sitting in 1st.
I figure upgrades will be tough to get, but the boss occasionally has sweet talked the agent into upgrading me as well when he isn't sick of seeing my face. So I should luck out from time to time if I have my own status.

Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:38 am

I figure upgrades will be tough to get, but the boss occasionally has sweet talked the agent into upgrading me as well when he isn't sick of seeing my face. So I should luck out from time to time if I have my own status.

Thanks for the info.
Sweet talk shouldn't be necessary if, say he's Chairman's Prefered and your reservations are linked, you will "assume" his status for the flight (for upgrade purposes) and be upgraded as well.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
I wouldent status match but if I where you instead I would jump ahead of the game and try elite status on for size:
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...?c=us_hp_00199
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Tom92591
I wouldent status match but if I where you instead I would jump ahead of the game and try elite status on for size:
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...?c=us_hp_00199
Why would you pay for something you can get for free (and not be required to fly the prescribed miles over 90 days) The only reason I can see doing this would be to save your "free" lifetime status match.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond BMI Silver
If the op went for gold or Platinum they would be able to have a better chance for upgrades to f and a higher rdm miles bonus.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:39 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by tombyron
Sweet talk shouldn't be necessary if, say he's Chairman's Prefered and your reservations are linked, you will "assume" his status for the flight (for upgrade purposes) and be upgraded as well.
I agree with this... and with status on UN, you can help him for those times when you need an alternative to US and still get *A miles. I wouldn't waste the match given the current CS problems with US.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: UA, AA
Even without the match, just by accruing to US the OP should be silver within 5 or 6 trips.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Ask your boss to nominate you to SP. Problem solved.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Ask your boss to nominate you to SP. Problem solved.

If that is predicated on him being Chairman's Preferred, that won't work. He is only platinum.

Under the program where you can pay to try Preferred, I assume it would be possible to pay up for gold once I received the US silver status match? That would seem to provide more value.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 7:48 pm

Under the program where you can pay to try Preferred, I assume it would be possible to pay up for gold once I received the US silver status match? That would seem to provide more value.

Yes you can do that and save yourself $200 (it would cost $200 to go from Silver - Gold, instead of $400 to go from nothing - Gold)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.