Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is US right? Mileage calculation when same flight # with a stop.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Is US right? Mileage calculation when same flight # with a stop.

On a recent "direct" flight from PIT - PHX - SLC under one flight # I wasn't credited with miles. I informed DM service center and they posted 1659 miles and 1 segment to my account.

However, the actual miles flown were PIT-PHX=1813 and PHX-SLC=507, which is a total of 2316 miles. I then write back. Their response is...
"A "segment" is defined as travel taken under one flight number. A
segment may be either direct or nonstop."
I can deal with it being just one segment but I'm guessing they are only crediting me 1659 miles because it's the DISTANCE BETWEEN PIT and SLC not the actual miles flown! I'm taking a similar RT to SLC in a couple of weeks and am not at all happy about getting a total of 1800 fewer preferred miles than actually flown!

I've been on this forum for a couple years but never heard of this policy. What have others experienced?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PittDoc
I've been on this forum for a couple years but never heard of this policy. What have others experienced?
That's the policy -- they credited you consistent with it. Even when you have an "unscheduled aircraft change" in the connecting city, and connect to a different gate & aircraft, the same applies.

It's all about the flight number. If a single number, you receive one segment and the mileage from the origin to the destination as though it were non-stop. If it's two flight numbers, you receive 2 segments and the mileage for both flights.

In my experience, most airlines handle it this way -- and have for as long as I can remember.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
This is correct. Be wary of "direct" flights. You should only have received mileage PIT-SLC, not PIT-PHX-SLC.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:54 am

Quick question, relating not to the airline but type of flight #.

If I did AirNZ AKL-LAX-LHR or AKL-HKG-LHR and assuming each routing had the same flight # on both segments, how would they know how much miles to credit me. Unlike PIT-SLC that DL flies on, there is no airline that flies AKL-LHR directly, thus no example set which would indicate how many miles to give me, or do they just use some great circle mapper tool to indicate how many miles I get(trying to give me the least honestly possible?).

Also, I've heard from one guy/gal on FT that if you re check in or reprint your boarding passes somehow at your connecting airport city, you can trick the system somehow.

That said, you won't be seeing me on a direct flight # anytime soon, unless it's Papeete, Tahiti, PF to Bora Bora, PF via Riatea, PF for which I don't get miles anyway!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Click on http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...x#recmilcredit and look at bullet "1."
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Well I certainly learned something new today. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yep, I will almost never even consider a one flight number flight. I am in it for the miles and segments too.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I always try to avoid direct flights for this reason. When I cannot, I have had success going to the gate at the stopover point and asking them to credit the 2nd leg to a different carrier. I have not had success on US or UA just reprinting the BP, despite others reports otherwise.

Example: flying UA HKG-ORD-PHL on a direct flight. Put UA MP # in the record. In ORD, at the gate for the PHL leg, as GA to put US DM number in and reprint the BP.

It has worked for me, and there is little downside if it doesn't in the case I cited as ORD-PHL is only about 700 miles and HKG-PHL is almost identical to HKG-ORD.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I remember being put on HP when US had weather troubles in PHL some 7 years ago. Lost out big as there was 1 flight number for BOS-PHX-SEA and that's a big dog leg route. Not only a plane change in PHX but the connecting plane turned back after 1/2 hr in flight (thankfully there are lots of spares in PHX at night). Got the miles for the cancelled US itinerary and it's all merged into my successor account now.

If you ever face a similar situation in the future, try changing seats at the intermediate airport. I once did this on another airline (once partnered with HP but no longer) and got miles for A to C as well as B to C (for a A-B-C routing).
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
UA has the same policy.

Example, a few years ago UA 882 was sold as BOS-BKK with 2 stops. If you flew that, you got credit for one segment and miles for BOS-BKK (8522 miles).

In reality, UA 882 made stops in ORD and NRT prior to arrival in BKK.

I remember flying out of BOS on the flight to SFO which was one gate over from UA 882. Then when I got off the SFO-NRT flight, UA 882 was just pulling into the gate next door at NRT. Wasn't the same aircraft obviously, but kinda weird.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 7:31 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
If I did AirNZ AKL-LAX-LHR or AKL-HKG-LHR and assuming each routing had the same flight # on both segments, how would they know how much miles to credit me. Unlike PIT-SLC that DL flies on, there is no airline that flies AKL-LHR directly, thus no example set which would indicate how many miles to give me, or do they just use some great circle mapper tool to indicate how many miles I get(trying to give me the least honestly possible?).
It's called a Ticketed Point Mileage (TPM) Manual:

http://www.IATA.org/ps/publications/tpm.htm
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by KVS
It's called a Ticketed Point Mileage (TPM) Manual:
Or if you just want to get the distance the DOT uses, go to the BTS table.

You'll find that if kinglobjaw could find a direct flight ORD-XXX-MDW he could get about 16 FF miles.....

Jim
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:40 pm

BoeingBoy you are the best.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What's odd is that US's website sometimes still seems to list the miles as if the flights were separate #s. For example, they said for a recent IAD-BLF-BKW-IAD r/t that it would be 1500 miles. I knew better and expected only 1000 (since all flights are 4918), and got what I expected.

I suppose I could have deplaned at BLF and asked to change seats, but didn't feel like bothering.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: US GP; MR PL
same thing happened to me going from EWY-MCO-DCA. luckily, the mileage was about the same, but i was PO'd that i didn't get my 2 segments...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.