Wiki Posts
Search

Sorry Golds - Amex Centurions are now Platinums

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM
Sorry Golds - Amex Centurions are now Platinums

While browsing the Amex Forum I came upon this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699012

It seems that Amex Centurions are getting an unexpected bump to Platinum DM status from Gold. Instead of competing for upgrades with the Centurion-granted Golds on the same level, it looks like BIS Golds will now have another group in front.

I hope that Tempe remembers to back those folks out when they are adding up the numbers of DM members that increased status in 2007!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
It is because of crap like this this full-fare BIS CP has left the airline.

I was tired of seeing silvers and golds up-graded while I sit in the back. I was told they wanted to give others a chance for first.
And that I should by my ticket firther in advance to get the UG. IN the past I was rewarded for my high fare last minute ticket, but not from this group in Tempe. There for US has slid from the top spot to # 5 on my booking preserences in the past four months.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Yaaahooo...another wild ride about to happen!!!

Glad this DOESNT happen at CO!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: US CP
un-freakin-believable
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:57 pm

This is the reason I refuse to REQUAL as a Platinum next year on my dime...someone else will have to pick up the tab from now on or NRSA travel.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wonder what I have to sign up for to get CP status? It has to be coming next...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:57 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Glad this DOESNT happen at CO!
Yes, it does. Centurions are Gold on CO. Like US Plat, that's one tier from the top. Same difference.

Further, to have a Centurion card you have to spend a huge amount of money on AMEX plus pay a not insignificant fee. There's not exactly an over abundance of Centurions who I'd expect to be "stealing" upgrades.

The only way this is a make-or-break issue is for folks looking for something to complain about. Compared to the "fools Golds" this set of people is likely to be very, very minimal.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
...Further, to have a Centurion card you have to spend a huge amount of money on AMEX plus pay a not insignificant fee. There's not exactly an over abundance of Centurions who I'd expect to be "stealing" upgrades. ...
I agree. Centurions have a history of charging six figures annually (somehow the 150k figure sticks in my mind, but how would I know ) and these folks would much prefer to fly paid First Class on competing airlines if they had a choice, methinks...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by kudzu
I agree. Centurions have a history of charging six figures annually (somehow the 150k figure sticks in my mind, but how would I know ) and these folks would much prefer to fly paid First Class on competing airlines if they had a choice, methinks...
Its 250k now.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:34 pm

Yes, it does. Centurions are Gold on CO. Like US Plat, that's one tier from the top. Same difference.

Further, to have a Centurion card you have to spend a huge amount of money on AMEX plus pay a not insignificant fee. There's not exactly an over abundance of Centurions who I'd expect to be "stealing" upgrades.

The only way this is a make-or-break issue is for folks looking for something to complain about. Compared to the "fools Golds" this set of people is likely to be very, very minimal.
Agreed. I'm sure there's a large # of Centurions who just pay the F fare.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by bhd87
Have a few friends with the black card. They take advantage of the comped status for upgrades (when they clear) on shorter flights (DC to FLL for example). But each one of them pays for F on longer flights (i.e. DC to LAS/LAX/SFO/DEN). Doubt it will really have much of an impact.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never spent enough to become centurion(150k then), but did spend over 100k a year on the card. had many friends who spent that kind of money with the card. most comes from business expense. would be very difficult to rack up 250k on the card on personal expenses with an income under 2 or 3 or 5 mil.

we were all small business owners. 90+% was on business expenses. everything from raw materials to office supplies to equipment to hotel rooms and company lunches.

none of us flew in F. most flying F are on business expense. either paid by the company, or by the client, or just an UG. not all, but a lot of them.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I am not certain that is is the number that is the issue

I think the real point of the post is just another step in the ever decreasing value of the FF product. Tempe is looking for additional revenue stream and Amex was will to give them some money. It reminds me of the joke where the punch line is; "We have already determined that you are a whore, now we are just negotiating price".
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bhd87
I know a couple of Centurion cardholders and they're both rather thrifty nickels. They pay the large annual fee because it is a good value for them, not because they are free spenders.

If you don't want the free upgrades, why pay for a Centurion card?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K

Ummmm..not really

CO is:
To Achieve You Must Travel
Silver Elite 25,000 Elite qualification miles or 30 points
Gold Elite 50,000 Elite qualification miles or 60 points
Platinum Elite 75,000 Elite qualification miles or 90 points

US is:
How to Qualify Silver Gold Platinum Chairman's
2007 Preferred Qualifying Miles 25,000 50,000 75,000 100,000
2007 Preferred Qualifying Segments 30 60 90 120

So...if you fly 90 segments or 75K on CO, you will NOT compete with the centurions...but if you do that on US...you WILL! And with the diminishing F cabins...even ONE may make a 75K/yr ff'er miss an u/g.

Too bad for all of the ff'ers "stuck" with US!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.