Wiki Posts
Search

When will West Planes get Empower???

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
When will West Planes get Empower???

I know this has been asked before and it was not definitive. As they get ready to mix more flights as East or West (and then start mixing fleets when the Certificate merges) it would be nice to have a consistent product. I would like to see that I am on a A319 or A320 and I am going to get Empower... I think they did a nice job at making the East more like WEst to cram more seats in, now lets try and keep the product the same...

I know they are going to add in flight entertainment, but let's add some power to those darn seats too... At least give us First and a Preferred zone that has power..

Any news?? Any idea if this is coming???
Old May 8, 2007, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
I know this has been asked before and it was not definitive. As they get ready to mix more flights as East or West (and then start mixing fleets when the Certificate merges) it would be nice to have a consistent product. I would like to see that I am on a A319 or A320 and I am going to get Empower... I think they did a nice job at making the East more like WEst to cram more seats in, now lets try and keep the product the same...

I know they are going to add in flight entertainment, but let's add some power to those darn seats too... At least give us First and a Preferred zone that has power..

Any news?? Any idea if this is coming???
While I am a big US supporter, I have to say that I wouldnt hold your breath with Empower being installed on West aircraft. I think it will end up being like United where some aircraft have it, some dont, only certain seats have it, some dont, etc.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Wasn't there a big brouhahas a while back that they were considering ripping 'em out of the US fleet? It may have even been pre-merger during BK2. Be careful wishing for a consistent product: you might get exactly what you ask for, but not what you want.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I do hope they put it in at least in FC pretty soon for the A dub planes. I use the empower for my pc all the time and it is pretty nice to have.

Most likely they will just take it out of every plane to make the fleet all the same.
Old May 8, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
I checked a US Club recently and it didn't seem to be frozen over, so I would say that there will be a long wait for this.

I carry two batts that cover me for 5 hrs on my lightweight Dell. I don't think I want to work more than that on a rotten domestic flight.
Old May 9, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Agree that this is a real pain and needs to be fixed...especially w/the PHL-SFO 'non-stop' flights making hour-long fuel stops more than 1/2 the time...
Old May 9, 2007, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I am just seeing the notifications on the new IFE,etc.. if they are making seat changes and "improvements" they should be able to add Empower to the seats (or even regular power).
Old May 9, 2007, 10:40 am

I'm not an engineer but I suspect in-seat power is an option when the plane is built and would be costly to add as an after-market feature.

Besides, it means the west 319 and newer 320 fleet would likely have to swap-out those award winning squeaky FC seats.
Old May 9, 2007, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by Jim_F
I'm not an engineer but I suspect in-seat power is an option when the plane is built and would be costly to add as an after-market feature.
That would make a lot of airlines upset.

Empower is just 12/24V power, so can easily be included in all the wiring for the IFE or controls in the seats. Issue would be though that they'd need a place for some fuses and would need to take into account the amount of amps all those ports could be wanting for and competing with other systems.
Old May 9, 2007, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jim_F

Besides, it means the west 319 and newer 320 fleet would likely have to swap-out those award winning squeaky FC seats.
it can't be *that* costly. the infamous pennypinchers at AA have installed it in every plane in the mainline fleet (700 of them), with the exception of the 19 757's that are being sold to DL.
Old May 9, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jupper
Empower is just 12/24V power, so can easily be included in all the wiring for the IFE or controls in the seats. Issue would be though that they'd need a place for some fuses and would need to take into account the amount of amps all those ports could be wanting for and competing with other systems.
That was my point - the increased electrical demand needed for power ports would likely involve upgrades to core supply systems on the aircraft. It might be less of an issue for the dozen or so F seats but outfitting an entire aircraft would be another story.
Old May 9, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
But really how many people use them? Less than 5% would be what Im guessing...
Old May 9, 2007, 2:17 pm

Slim Chance

I doubt it will happen. Everything at US is about being cost neutral. I have even heard Doug say that they don't intend to add power to the west aicraft right now. However, with a new seat and IFE system that is allegedly coming out late this year or early next year, there may be a slim chance of power with the new seat. Time wil tell... don't hold your breath though.
Old May 9, 2007, 3:31 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Cactus1
I doubt it will happen.
And I agree, if only because the vast majority of the planes are leased (all the West planes). That means they'll eventually be going back to the leasors.

What is possible (likely??) is that new airplanes will have empower so that the transition to having it on all the fleet will happen over time. That will depend, in part, on the cost of that option and competitive pressures.

Jim
Old May 10, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
"Never" would be my guess, knowing the new management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.