Kiosks: why can't I...

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2007, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Kiosks: why can't I...

1) print a receipt?

2) change seats?

I always do OLCI, so I wonder if that's the answer to #2 (I've already picked a seat, why would I want to do it again). But I would like to be presented with my options (although yesterday, I did get a message that I couldn't change seats because my cabin was full).

And I never see an option to print a receipt...I always have to ask a TA (and never a GA because they "can't do it" or "don't have the right card stock").
Old May 4, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bitburgr
1) print a receipt?

2) change seats?

I always do OLCI, so I wonder if that's the answer to #2 (I've already picked a seat, why would I want to do it again). But I would like to be presented with my options (although yesterday, I did get a message that I couldn't change seats because my cabin was full).

And I never see an option to print a receipt...I always have to ask a TA (and never a GA because they "can't do it" or "don't have the right card stock").

You should be able to change seats at a kiosk. I have been given that option when I do. However, I have not been able to print a receipt since the cutover to QIK.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I don't know about changing seats at a kisok once you've done OLCI, but I do know there is an option to print a receipt right after printing your boarding pass online. I do that all the time for business expense purposes.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
I haven't had trouble selecting seats at the kiosk (even after OLCI). It still doesn't read my credit card or recognize my DM# (though next time I'm going to try zero padding the DM# to see if that works). With respect to the receipt, I don't think I've seen that option since before cutover.

A bizarre thing happened the other morning though. I got an email with the subject "US AIRWAYS - CONFIRMATION CODE: XXXXXX." It was a receipt for a flight I had taken WEEKS ago. I didn't ask for it, and I'm not accustomed to getting them automatically. The tag line at the bottom reads: "A GREAT NEW FEATURE ON USAIRWAYS.COM ALLOWS YOU TO CREATE YOUR OWN RECEIPT,
SIMPLY GO TO USAIRWAYS.COM"

Weird.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've had no success changing seats at the kiosks in BOS (I've always done OLCI beforehand). Other cities, I have been able to change seats (again, with OLCI).
Old May 4, 2007, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I don't know about changing seats at a kisok once you've done OLCI, but I do know there is an option to print a receipt right after printing your boarding pass online. I do that all the time for business expense purposes.
I have been able to change seats and reprint BPs after OLCI at kiosks in TRI, CLT, EWR, LGA. I can print a receipt online, but not at a kiosk.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:50 am

From their recent press release about forthcoming customer service initiatives:

Improved Kiosk Technology

Since moving to one reservations system in early March, self-service kiosks in many of the airline's eastern region cities have not operated with acceptable reliability standards. US Airways has begun a replacement plan that will bring in 600 new state-of-the-art machines. The first deliveries will arrive in late May.
I suspect this problem is related.
Old May 4, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Twice recently, the kiosk had asked me if I would like to move up to an earlier flight. I found this amusing because both times, it was about an hour after the earlier flight had already departed!
Old May 4, 2007, 10:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Why can't I swipe my DM card or my credit card to check in? That always annoys me. I used to be able to walk right up, swipe, and voila my reservation is right there.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I have found a variety of things I could not do at the kiosks (these were from Aug 06 through March 07), all blamed on the merger, change of systems and how purchased (online vs corporate vs other sites). No clear answer other than they don't have everything well integrated. One employee mentioned this had to do with whether the ticket was purchased 'internally' through the USAir or America West systems.
Old May 4, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: CO/DL:Gold, UA:PremExec; Marriott:Gold, Hilton:Silver
FWIW:

Right after the conversion, I noticed I wasn't able to print out a receipt at a kiosk anywhere I fly (all East destinations). I asked the TA at PIT, and she told me that management turned it off because people were printing out the receipts and leaving them there and it was a big waste of money. I found this odd, and said so - I was met with a response of "well, that's how it is. I'll be happy to print you a receipt back here if you really need one." I did, and she did, so we were all good.

Since I originate in PIT, I have taken to printing the receipts on-line during OLCI or asking for one in the Club - they're always happy to help out.

As for the changing seats thing - I just noticed that on my way from ORF to PIT yesterday...very odd...
Old May 4, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
It's the East "former Sabre" vs West "always been Shares" You can do both on a West Kiosk, but not East. They are replacing the East Kiosks with newer HW running a US logo'd version of the West (and even a little more functionality).

AZ is correct, their news release is referring to this. I don't have an idea on timing.
Old May 4, 2007, 2:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by KevAZ
It's the East "former Sabre" vs West "always been Shares" You can do both on a West Kiosk, but not East.
The irritating thing is that you used to be able to do both on
the East kiosks, back when US was a borderline real airline.

Speaking of which (but totally offtopic), anyone notice the
resemblance of the HP logo to that of Whataburger? Main
difference being that you got what you paid for at
Whataburger.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
To revive this 3-year old thread, it is still not possible to print a receipt at an US kiosk. I mailed them about this but no answer, wouldn't this be a very logical thing to be able to do?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by robbert
To revive this 3-year old thread, it is still not possible to print a receipt at an US kiosk. I mailed them about this but no answer, wouldn't this be a very logical thing to be able to do?
You used to be able to print one -- very easily. Who knows why they would have taken the feature away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.