Community
Wiki Posts
Search

penalty for not trying to get VDB's first?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
penalty for not trying to get VDB's first?

To make a long story short we were supposed to fly out of DCA to FLL today with confirmed space but no boarding passes. Although at the gate in plenty of time (at least 30 minutes) the gate agent refused to deal with us as well as other passengers and even a FA trying to get the jump seat.

The plane left without her attempting to get us on.

In order to write a complaint, I'ld like to know what the penalty US faces for not seeing if we could get on or checking if other passengers were willing to take another flight.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:38 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It is a violation of DOT policy -- with some conditions attached. See http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi.../flyrights.htm

Our rules require airlines to seek out people who are willing to give up their seats for some compensation before bumping anyone in- voluntarily.
in the Overbooking section

Good luck getting anything from US tho!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 1:20 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
You're entitled to IDB (involuntary denied boarding) compensation per the US Contract of Carriage (COC) and that amount is $400 or a free ticket, in their discretion. I would call, relate the story and threaten to file a DOT complaint if they don't act and I'd hold out for the cash. That amount goes down to $200 if they rebooked you and you got to your destination within 2 hours of when you were scheduled to and $0 if you got in within an hour. The full COC is here and the relevant section is section X:

http://www.usairways.com/common/reso...f_carriage.pdf

My question is whether you made it to FLL. They should have made an effort to rebook you on another carrier if they had no space on their flights.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
Originally Posted by us2
You're entitled to IDB (involuntary denied boarding) compensation per the US Contract of Carriage (COC) and that amount is $400 or a free ticket, in their discretion. I would call, relate the story and threaten to file a DOT complaint if they don't act and I'd hold out for the cash. That amount goes down to $200 if they rebooked you and you got to your destination within 2 hours of when you were scheduled to and $0 if you got in within an hour. The full COC is here and the relevant section is section X:

http://www.usairways.com/common/reso...f_carriage.pdf

My question is whether you made it to FLL. They should have made an effort to rebook you on another carrier if they had no space on their flights.
Thanks for the info.

We ended up taking the next flight to SoFlorida and flew into PBI.

That gate agent was great. Thanks Yolanda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.