Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closest airport to Boone NC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
CLT would be the best option. GSO is about 120 minutes away (here in Winston, it's about 90 minutes to Boone), while CLT I'd say is about the same distance, but by the time you layover in CLT and take the 30 minute trip up to GSO, you'd be past Hickory more than halfway to Boone. AVL is in the same exact boat as GSO in this situation as well.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman, SWA, United, AA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fly Southwest to RDU and drive from there for the cheapest route.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:18 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by jec42644
That would be a good 60-90 minutes past GSO depending on time of day and traffic levels around RTP and the greater GSO area. However, if you have the time and want to save $$, consider RDU.

l4pi and others CLT strategy is definitely worth looking into.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:23 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Hmmm....yeah...go ahead and fly into RDU and save a couple of bucks and ADD more headaches...3 extra hrs to Boone. Right!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
I went to Boone last October and flew into CLT. I found a very cheap flight on Airtran from BOS and paid to upgrade.

FYI the drive up to Boone can be very foggy so allow plenty of time for some slow going.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by jec42644
Well, actually, US is matching WN's $59 + fares on several off-peak days/times MCO-RDU-MCO...

As for the extra driving time from RDU to Boone....I wouldn't do it unless I had to. Like others here, I'd fly into CLT and drive from there.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5S, Starwood Gold
Somebody mentioned going through HKY enroute to Boone. While US 321 is the most direct route, you may want to check on the status of construction that has been underway on US 321 near Blowing Rock. If this construction is still ongoing (as this link seems to indicate) I would HIGHLY recommend that you take I-77 north to US 421 North. This route is freeway/4 lane highway and will save you a lot of headaches.

Just a thought.

Jammer
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
TRI is the closest, but if you decide to fly into NC, I personally would recommend GSO. The reason is that GSO like a small town feel airport to me. I have driven there to fly quite a few times for some good fares and I liked coming in and our of there.

This is the distance, according to Mapquest: Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 58 minutes. Total Est. Distance: 106.18 miles. The route is NC 68-S to I-40 W to US 421 N.

I have also driven to CLT to fly (I am doing so this weekend, as a matter of fact), but being a hub it can be very busy. The stats for CLT are Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 54 minutes. Total Est. Distance: 95.03 miles. The suggested route is I-85 S to US 321 N.

PS. One more shameless plug for TRI--NO LINES at check in, NO LINES at security! Easy to pick up and turn in a rental car. Our two US kiosks work. DL even has kiosks and a Medallion line! The people are really nice!

Last edited by me4yankees; Apr 12, 2007 at 4:40 pm Reason: Fly TRI!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. It looks like I will be flying into CLT. I also found out today there is a NASCAR race that weekend in CLT. I am familiar with that area. Sounds like I should just enjoy the scenery on the way to Boone.

I guess I should get my ticket now before all the NASCAR fans snap up the cheaper tickets.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by safetymom
Thanks again everyone. It looks like I will be flying into CLT. I also found out today there is a NASCAR race that weekend in CLT. I am familiar with that area. Sounds like I should just enjoy the scenery on the way to Boone.

I guess I should get my ticket now before all the NASCAR fans snap up the cheaper tickets.
Absolutely!
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:09 am
sm2

Programs: US-Chairman's, Hilton-Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Sofitel
I live in the Boone / Blowing Rock area and travel weekly via US Air. 99% of the time it is Charlotte unless I have meetings in the Kingsport area, and then use TRI but that is a connection in Charlotte and takes a lot longer. A lot of my flights are to MCO so direct to Charlotte and drive is the fastest way.

I always make it home from CLT in 1.5 - 1.45 hours.

Leave the Airport (Little Rock if Car Rental) and take 85 south for 15 minutes to exit 17, HWY 321 North. Bottom of the ramp make a left. You will be on this section of Hwy 321 for approx 25-30 minutes depending on how fast you drive (65mph), until you reach Hickory. Still on Hwy 321 all they way to Boone another 45 - 60 minutes or so, again depending on how fast you drive.

****ONE ITEM OF NOTE****

Just outside of Blowing Rock, they are widening Hwy 321 and the entire road is closed on Tuesdays and Thursday from Noon - 2:00pm for blasting.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:56 am

I remember being in Boone when I was a child. My parents took me and my sisters to a Wizard of Oz themed amusement park. I think it's been closed since the early 80s and now might be a housing develpment.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by JayBrian
I remember being in Boone when I was a child. My parents took me and my sisters to a Wizard of Oz themed amusement park. I think it's been closed since the early 80s and now might be a housing develpment.
The Land of Oz is still open one time per year, as per one of my work colleagues took her kids last year.

Link: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...actionNo==3764

Last edited by me4yankees; Apr 13, 2007 at 7:59 am Reason: Add link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.