Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jeans in First - Threatened to be moved to coach

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I agree with this. Also, the threat to "reseat" can only mean that the FA thought the passenger was a non-rev. No FA would reseat a paying passenger.

OH no? - THE FA did it on my PHX_MRF flight. Put two non-revs in this couples seats and then "resat" the couple.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
This is all so infuriating- US employees making up their own rules and enforcing them against passengers. I have no problem with US enforcing its written rules and will certainly comply with US's rules as a passenger- but this ticks me off!

At the LGA FC ticket counter recently, one TA yelled to another, "Hey, do we charge change fees for Preferreds?!"

If I can fly at most four or six flights a week and know US's rules, why can't its employees?!
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jan_az
OH no? - THE FA did it on my PHX_MRF flight. Put two non-revs in this couples seats and then "resat" the couple.
Did you mean MFR?

I'm sort of speechless. I fear that I'd be removed from the aircraft in handcuffs if this happened to me. I most certainly would not give up the seat. On the bright side, I guess I wouldn't have to wait on hold with Customer Relations; I'm sure that the media would adequately communicate the flight disturbance.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by jan_az
Were they wearing jeans?
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Wow, this might break a US thread record after everyone "weighs in".

Who really gives a rip? The issue is a pissed off union employee playing God. Anything new here? No? Try NW, or DL or...... unions facilitate this kind of behavior. Protect and pretend is their motto in order to shake down employees for a portion of their pay. And the good ones get screwed as always under unions.

I am not convinced this happened. If so, then why didn't the original person complain to US? Why is it here? Anti-union? Could be. I don't make up stories to kill unions, I have enough real ones to scare you out of your union card.

So let's laugh about it and drop it.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by par8thed
Is this a new policy for paying customers?

My wife is Silver with US, and was flying PDX-PHL last night on the redeye (flight 303, operated by America West). Her ticket was for coach, but scored the all-important upgrade for a redeye flight (yay!).

However, once on the plane, she gets up to use the restroom. Upon leaving the restroom, the flight attendant stops here and makes the statement (and I quote my wife):

"She (the FA) said, 'You're not allowed to be wearing jeans in First Class. I normally remove people and reseat them in coach for this. However, I'm going to let it slide just this once, but be sure you don't wear them next time.' As we were deplaning shortly after 7:00 AM, the same FA mentioned to me 'Be sure to remember next time! No jeans!' "

I'm not sure how to react, and neither is my wife. Is this the policy? Neither of us work for US; we're just simply paying customers, so the non-rev dress code doesn't apply here.

Thoughts? Is this to be expected? Is this policy, or just an over-reaching FA?
I think there is a very obvious answer here that nobody seems to be getting. I think there is a 99% chance the FA was making a joke. Either her delivery or your wife's senses were off (redeye), and your wife completely misinterpreted. I think that is the only reasonable explanation here.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by masonuc
I think there is a very obvious answer here that nobody seems to be getting. I think there is a 99% chance the FA was making a joke. Either her delivery or your wife's senses were off (redeye), and your wife completely misinterpreted. I think that is the only reasonable explanation here.
I do not think that the FA would have been joking. That would be one stupid mistake to even joke about that with an F passenger, bc it could(should) cost the FA their job.

I hope the OP posts again when he receives a letter from US, or some other compensation. This is absolutely rediculous.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am in 1D on a flight to PHL that leaves in about an hour...and I am in jeans. Guess I should behave myself!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by masonuc
I think that's very possible. I've had playful FA's in the past who reach a bit far for a joke and are so dry that you wonder for a minute if they are serious.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: US Silver
I suppose it could have been a joke, but to say it twice? I would imagine the OP's wife looked more than a little bug-eyed at her the first time she said it: you'd have to be pretty self-absorbed not to notice that a "joke" of this sort had gone down like a lead balloon, so to repeat it, you'd have to be completely unaware that you'd caused offence. Anyway, it's been my experience that female FAs will on occasion joke with male passengers, but are less inclined to with female ones: it's just a different dynamic.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
The only scenario that makes sense to me is that the FA thought the OP's wife was a non-rev for some reason.
Correct. And the fact that she did not read the manifest/did not confirm that the passenger was not a non-rev is horrible. I would be VERY insulted, and would certianly tell the FA to mind her own business.

Subsequently, i would write a complaint about the FA's behavior and.... oh, wait, its US we are talking about, no one ever cares about what we write to them, so scratch it, I would just suck it up.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I think that's very possible. I've had playful FA's in the past who reach a bit far for a joke and are so dry that you wonder for a minute if they are serious.
That was my initial thought when my wife shared this with me. However, it was very clear to my wife that it was not meant as a joke. My wife is used to me dead-panning the delivery of jokes , so she would have definitley picked up on it.

We are awaiting response, and will absolutely post the feedback, if there is one. ^

The overall sentiment is clear, though: Not US policy, not HP policy. Zero research done on the part of the FA to identify my wife as a Silver status paid flyer, and not a non-rev.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:54 pm
PHXFqtvl

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
This has been burning me up for awhile: I was standing behind a "young" guy at the US customer service booth in the DCA gates a few weeks ago. He was angry he didn't get upgraded when the flight had F open for upgrades. The CSR told him they don't don't upgrade people in "jeans, t-shirts and baseball hats." He had all three on. But when my wife and I got seated in F, I saw people with all 3 too. Granted, he wore his hat sideays and it didn't have a preppy Gap style. Is it all in how you wear it? I guess so.
He was most certainly a non-rev - and that is not appropriate attire at all for a non-rev to fly in first. I could see a FA getting it wrong by looking at an old manifest, but the CSR's won't because they are looking at his reservation. If he threw any kind of fit, there is a bet that he, or the employee's whose benefits he is traveling on, will have his travel privilages suspended. That is a super no-no and can lead to terminiation.... As for regular paying passengers (upgraded or not), there is no dress code other than common decency.

Dress code for non-rev traveling in F class do not allow blue-denim clothing, but denim is allowed as long as it is not torn or faded and in a dark color other than blue.

Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by PHXFqtvl
He was most certainly a non-rev - and that is not appropriate attire at all for a non-rev to fly in first. I could see a FA getting it wrong by looking at an old manifest, but the CSR's won't because they are looking at his reservation. If he threw any kind of fit, there is a bet that he, or the employee's whose benefits he is traveling on, will have his travel privilages suspended. That is a super no-no and can lead to terminiation.... As for regular paying passengers (upgraded or not), there is no dress code other than common decency.

Dress code for non-rev traveling in F class do not allow blue-denim clothing, but denim is allowed as long as it is not torn or faded and in a dark color other than blue.
I never thought of that. I bet you're right. He seemed way too young for elite. He was at most college age, the same age as our baby sitter who is a bigtime non-rev UA FF due to a parent. And she knows the drill for dressing and behavior for F. What I didn't mention and what was mostly "burning me up" was that he was Latino. I felt like that was why he was getting shunned in large part for that. But he did look sloppy.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Elites have to be a certain age and/or dress a certain way? I believe we have a number of younger elites as well as non-business elites on this forum, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.