Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Choice Plat; US Airways CP
US Airways Club

I was wondering if the club membership is worth it? Never been before and just want to see opinions on it.

I have been a member to Crown Club and World Perks Club for two years now, but with having to travel US, I find those memberships near the end.

Does US have free drinks like the others?... I did not see it listed on their site. IF not, are they expensive?

Thanks in advance for all your advise and help!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Alcohol is not free. All I have ever purchased is beer. The price for that is either $4.00 (Bud Light) or $5.00 (others).

The help you receive from the reservations agents in the club is great, as is the mostly quiet place to relax or work. I am sure that is not different from your other clubs.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for snacks they typically have yogurt, mini-muffins, and graham crackers in the morning, snack mix during the day, and sometimes something a bit better at night. Definitely nothing great...
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
If you like the other clubs to which you belonged, then you'll appreciate the benefits of US Club membership. A quiet respite and agents who can handle you needs from the smallest seat change to the chaos of an irregular op are universal to club membership. Is it worth is for you? Only you can decide.

As for me, every time there's a problem, the ability to run to the club and be number 2 or 3 (and not 22 or 23) is invaluable, especially when there's only a few seats left on the next flight that would be LONG gone by number 22 or 23 in line.

Certainly don't join the club for reasons of amenities, food, or free booze, which doesn't exist.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You could also buy a daypass type thing at the desk and try it out.

The free stuff from the skyteam clubs - alcohol, internet, etc is not free at US.

Also where are you going to be based/going to/connecting thru?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I dropped my membership last year when the price went up and the bonus miles disappeared and I haven't missed it a bit. There is free internet in both PHX and LAS for West flyers and usually decent working space most of the day at some lesser-used gates (i.e. high A gates in PHX, B gates at LAS).
Food is always better outside of the clubs.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:03 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nutzz
I have been a member to Crown Club and World Perks Club for two years now, but with having to travel US, I find those memberships near the end.

Does US have free drinks like the others?... I did not see it listed on their site. IF not, are they expensive?

!

As a recent convert from US to Skyteam, I will tell you that I was surprised at how GREAT a worldclubs membership was compared to a US club membership.

First off, you can NOT use a partner lounge, unless you pay more. Second, you can NOT use the partner lounge unless you are FLYING that partner...ie..UA has a RCC at ORD, but as a USclub/RCC member, I could NOT use the RCC 100 FEET from the US gate while flying US!!!!
WC/PC do not do this...as I routinely visit CRC/WC flying CO, and PC/CRC flying NW! ^ ^

Also, US has FEW clubs compared to WC.

US has, IMO, horrible "food" offerings compared to bagels, and FRESH muffins.

US charges for alcohol.

US charges for wifi.

US clubs are usually smaller, IMO.

To me though, the fact that you have to be FLYING US to use their club..can not be flying even a PARTNER...is a MAJOR downfall, and NOT worth more then about $50 a year.

Just my opinion...as many in here will tell you that it is great to pay for drinks and have sub-par food offerings.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

To me though, the fact that you have to be FLYING US to use their club..can not be flying even a PARTNER...is a MAJOR downfall, and NOT worth more then about $50 a year.
I have never run into that. No matter what airline I fly, I have always been able to access US clubs
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:12 am

Don't join US Club....

As a recent convert from US to Skyteam, I will tell you that I was surprised at how GREAT a worldclubs membership was compared to a US club membership.

First off, you can NOT use a partner lounge, unless you pay more. Second, you can NOT use the partner lounge unless you are FLYING that partner...ie..UA has a RCC at ORD, but as a USclub/RCC member, I could NOT use the RCC 100 FEET from the US gate while flying US!!!!
WC/PC do not do this...as I routinely visit CRC/WC flying CO, and PC/CRC flying NW! ^ ^

Also, US has FEW clubs compared to WC.

US has, IMO, horrible "food" offerings compared to bagels, and FRESH muffins.

US charges for alcohol.

US charges for wifi.

US clubs are usually smaller, IMO.

Just my opinion...as many in here will tell you that it is great to pay for drinks and have sub-par food offerings.

I too left the dark side after many years of US Club membership and purchased a CO President's Club Membership last year. Paid $350 for one year and have never regretted it whereas my US Club membership had historically been provided complementary due to loyal business and the grandfathered clause that CP's in the distant past were given club membership complementary. That changed in the HP/US merger and was sent a notice to join Club for $300. When faced with that choice I looked at other clubs and am happy I joined CO's club. There is a night and day difference between the two. Good choice of edible snacks throughout the day, complementary wine/beer, spacious seating and phones that work routinely.

If US were to upgrade their club experience I would have no problem paying $300 a year or something in that range. Surely I appreciated the years of complementary membership but due to the decline in amenities I really found it only offerd a quiet place away from the gate. Beyond that it was not comparable to other clubs.

I must admit in fairness that the US west clubs are a bit nicer though smaller. They have some better snacks and the staff at both clubs are nice but this still pales in comparison to the AA, UA, and CO club systems.

Hope this helps in answering your questions.

US1@ORF
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I am a CO Presidents club member and I am in a Crown Room Club right now, there is a Presidents club 10 gates away but I was still allowed in the CRC.....and I am flying US!! As a member you get complete access to DL, CO, and NW clubs no matter what airline you are flying. Personally I think SkyTeam clubs are much better than US clubs. That said I still value US clubs as a quiet place to relax. The club is great for irrops! --Oh and I really like the Flavia Coffee machines!!!
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
If you like the other clubs to which you belonged, then you'll appreciate the benefits of US Club membership. A quiet respite and agents who can handle you needs from the smallest seat change to the chaos of an irregular op are universal to club membership. Is it worth is for you? Only you can decide.

As for me, every time there's a problem, the ability to run to the club and be number 2 or 3 (and not 22 or 23) is invaluable, especially when there's only a few seats left on the next flight that would be LONG gone by number 22 or 23 in line.

Certainly don't join the club for reasons of amenities, food, or free booze, which doesn't exist (emphasis mine)
Well said. The issue is not a comparison of clubs. How much flying the OP does on US would be important in his determination whether a Club membership is worth it.

Most times you won't need a Club membership, probably never miss it. The few times you get stuck during irregular ops at a hub is when the value of the Club membership becomes readily apparent. Like insurance, it's always too expensive until you need it.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:13 am

Living in CLT it is hard to avoid flying US and the only clubs in CLT are US, but I have RCC membership instead. I can access the US clubs when i'm flying US and the RCCs regardless of who i'm flying. There is no additional fee for that like there is with RCC access with US Club membership.

You could always review the cities you fly through frequently and see if a Premier Pass membership may be worth it. I think most hubs have at least 1 participating club. That could be the best bet if you frequently fly many airlines.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
That is simply wrong. If you have a US Club membership and can get to the US Club you can access it. You may be confusing this with the multi-tiered pricing structure where you have to pay an add-on to your membership if you want access to partner lounges when flying the partners. But you can be flying WN and go to the US club if you are a US member. In fact, CO/NW/DL have far more restrictive access policies.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs down

I'll echo others here: food is not good but the quiet and ability to make a change without standing in line with Ma and Pa Kettle was nice. However the decision to change their policy on charging for alcohol without making it up to those partially through the year chased me away.

I don't trust US' contracts. I could see them instituting a visit charge midway through the year, just like they did with the rotten US East alcohol policy going to the West.

I went with Priority Pass and will never return to US' Club program
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:16 am

So I have never been in the US Air Club, but just got an e-mail with a free one-day pass. I will be in CLT this Saturday... is there a particular club that is better than the others? Of course..I have no idea which concourse my flight is going out of..

On another note.. why can't they let you use miles to purchase the membership... I'm sure more people would use it and maybe it would get better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.