Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question -- voluntary bump from paid FC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Question Question -- voluntary bump from paid FC

Hi -- If I volunteered to be bumped from a flight, holding a paid first class ticket, is it customary to be booked in first class on another flight, plus receive a first class voucher? I'm trying to decide if volunteering under the situation would be worthwhile. Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
That situation is rare; I've never done it, but I'd assume you'd normally be re-booked in the same class of service as the ticket you paid for, plus a travel voucher for a FC r/t ticket would be reasonable. I volunteered to be bumped from a paid coach ticket that had been upgraded to FC yesterday and I would have been re-booked in FC, but the travel voucher was $200 or a free coach ticket (which is what I had paid for).
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I believe you would be reaccomodated in first class, and since its a paid first class ticket, very likely it can easily also be transferred to another carrier if US does not have space in first.

Typically you are offered as compensation a voucher for either a dollar amount off or a roundtrip coach ticket that is typically not upgradeable.
That said if they were very desperate for volunteers, and particularly if you knew the itin you wanted to fly on the free ticket, the agent bumping you could put an authorization in the PNR for the free ticket authorizing a comp upgrade to first class. This is outside company policy, but an agent could technically do it unofficially .

That being said I would not count on them being that desperate for volunteers. Depending on the route, etc.
But really you can get whatever you and whatever gate agent/supervisor is working and whatever you work out with them. There are policies and rules but these can be overridden or overlooked if the agent sees fit or feels so empowered. Then again you might get an agent who follows the company policy exactly.

A similar paradyme exists over at UA. There "standard" compensation for a VDB is a heavily restricted domestic free ticket. However, they can also issue in lieu of that dollars off certificates depending on the number of hours of delay before the reaccommodation flight. The most is $600 for a 6 hour plus delay. Some gate agents will only issue the heavily restricted ticket called a DBCFREE while others will issue the "better" travel credits if asked. Also some will issue hotel vouchers with bumps while others are more reluctant too. Some will waive the need for upgrade certs to be used on new flight if a VDB and others won't.

Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The "Take Flight Certificate" I got for volunteering states, "$200 off may be applied toward the price of any one ticket or may be exchanged for a free rountrip restricted coach class ticket to the eligible destination [in] the contiguous 48 states." I'd assume the certificate you'd get would have similar terms.

Any way to use these certificates online?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

NYCommuter & jetsetter, Thanks very much to you both for the information. This helps with what I had in mind.

The voucher use online thing ---- I could be thinking of something else, but my memory tells me that I've seen reference to future ability to use via website, somewhere in the promises, promises enhancements to website letters we've received over the recent months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.