Wiki Posts
Search

FLL-PHL: strange pricing on 4/30

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
FLL-PHL: strange pricing on 4/30

I booked a PHL-FLL rt, 4/26-4/30, for $219 a month ago. USair.com is now showing my outbound Flight 955 at $49, but my return Flight 1690 is $314. I noticed that there are four other return flights on 4/30 that are priced at $49 -- even though Flight 1690 has more open seats than any of those other $49 flights. In fact, Flight 1690 is a 757 and it's only 1/3 booked at this time. If my return flight were priced at $49, I'd call to claim a credit voucher for about $100.

Does anyone understand why flights on the same day would be priced so differently when the loads don't explain the difference?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: None
Purely a guess, given the nature of airline pricing...

WN offers fares as low as $49 on that route (and they're sold out of those seats on the 30th. I assume that US would match that fare and may still have a one or two seats available at that price on the other flights but not yours.

Possibly at that time of the morning on a Monday, there's more business traffic that's not looking for the lowest fare.

Jim
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum;
US 1690 is the first flight of the day and on Monday, in particular, it is usually fully booked. There are a lot of commuters on that flight who can book months in advance. I believe the commuters on that flight were instrumental in getting the flight to leave at early on Monday--6:15am vs 7:50am the rest of the week -- so they can get to work early. If you check Southwest today, their cheap seats are gone all day and the cheapest seat available is $164. I travel the route twice a month and find the fares all over the place.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Jim and flywheeler,

I figured that Flight 1690 would be a popular flight, but I just found it strange that so few of the seats are booked at this time. Thanks for your replies.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: US CP, DL nothing
I've been looking at ILM -> WAS for various dates in June and something is def messed up. Showing ~$900 base for most options to DCA and BWI. For example, price out ILM-BWI June 23- June 24 and most options are above $500. This route can easily be had for <$160 r/t most of the time. Seat maps for these segments are wide open.

I'll check it tomorrow I suppose.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cessnadriver
I've been looking at ILM -> WAS for various dates in June and something is def messed up. Showing ~$900 base for most options to DCA and BWI. For example, price out ILM-BWI June 23- June 24 and most options are above $500. This route can easily be had for <$160 r/t most of the time. Seat maps for these segments are wide open.

I'll check it tomorrow I suppose.
Keep checking!!! I just re-checked the return flight that I specified in my original post, and the price just dropped from $314 to $49! I called and claimed my credit voucher. ^
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:13 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by tommyleo
the price just dropped from $314 to $49! I called and claimed my credit voucher. ^
That's great, at least for you. Guess they finally realized that those 100+ empty seats weren't going to all sell for the higher fare after all.....

Jim
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:17 pm

They also eliminated the early FLL-DCA flights this summer, which may increase loads on the early flight to PHL/CLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.