Wiki Posts
Search

CP Denied Status Upgrade Despite Seat Available

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
CP Denied Status Upgrade Despite Seat Available

I have CP status on US and when my 7-day window passed for my elite upgrade on a PHX to BOS flight, I received the standard email stating that I had failed to secure an upgrade but that they would keep trying for me. Although I know PHX is a hub and this is a high-demand flight for F, I really wanted my F seat, so I called the CP desk to see if they could switch me to a different flight where my instant upgrade could be assured (despite the fact Id have to pay the fare difference and change fee). The agent told me that only one flight was showing a seat available for upgrade... and it happened to be the exact same flight I was already on, the only difference being a different originating flight to get me to PHX! She realized that this made no sense (if a seat was available for the PHX to BOS leg, I should have snagged it already, automatically) and got her supervisor to help. She returned with good news - I was given the seat with no need to change my flights or pay anything - but she commented that "my supervisor had to open up the inventory". I asked her if there was a problem with the auto-upgrade system that might cause this to happen again in the future (a seat being available but not awarded to me), and she said she has no idea.

So, my question for you guys is this...

I am pretty good with my flying knowledge, but I dont fully understand how a seat could be available but a CP would be passed up within the 7 day window. Does US hold one or more F seats past the 7-day window for long-haul flights, hoping that someone will buy it last minute, and then release it for upgrade at a later point? If not, any guesses how this happened to me? Should I be trusting of the auto-upgrade in the future? It has worked for me 80% of the time in the past, but I havent flown since the rez migration, so that is what has me worried.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:37 am

Programs: None
The consensus of opinion around here seems to be that US holds about 25% of FC seats till day of departure. Whether that's high, low, or about right seems to be a matter of opinion, but it means that there are seats available for anyone wanting to purchase F/C.

Seems like I've read posts that indicate the system may not give the upgrade unless it's available for all segments origin to destination (or vice-versa).

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mooper
Does US hold one or more F seats past the 7-day window for long-haul flights, hoping that someone will buy it last minute, and then release it for upgrade at a later point?
Yes, they do this. It just makes business sense - why give it away if someone may buy it. I'd guess every airline does it and I have problem with it - as long as it's a reasonable number, not half the cabin, and the seats are released in the proper order before departure. I'm not convinced that US gets those two parts correct.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Seems like I've read posts that indicate the system may not give the upgrade unless it's available for all segments origin to destination (or vice-versa).

Jim
I frequently get my upgrade email with only one segment upgraded. A day or two later I usually (95% of the time) get the second segment upgraded.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by mooper
...Should I be trusting of the auto-upgrade in the future?...
Trust, but verify (where have I heard that before? )

Short-haul upgrades I don't really care much about, but, like you, I want to be comfortable on the longer flights and will try hard for the upgrade.

I've been upgraded on one segment, and waitlisted for connecting flight too. The new system only does a sweep for upgrades once a day (probably at night). If seats become available during the day, the lucky Preferred who calls will get those before those standing in automatic queue. Maybe that's what happened, and perhaps the comment about the supe "opening up inventory" is doublespeak for a "manual upgrade".
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The other possibility that comes to mind is that a direct flight--one with the same flight number, but a stop in PHX (or wherever)--comes into play here. If you have a direct flight, then there may need to be a F seat on both flights available in order to upgrade.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
The other possibility that comes to mind is that a direct flight--one with the same flight number, but a stop in PHX (or wherever)--comes into play here. If you have a direct flight, then there may need to be a F seat on both flights available in order to upgrade.
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. Flying out of MHT most everything is a connection.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
In my case, it isnt a direct flight... I change planes in PHX. Thanks for the input, everyone. I am assuming, based upon what has been said, that it was simply a "holdback" seat and the supe was kind enough to push it over to me. My faith in US is just a hair higher now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.