Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Summer Success Redeeming Mileage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Thumbs up Your Summer Success Redeeming Mileage

Just curious how every one's success has been this year? I was able to score 3 Envoy tickets to Europe in July @80,000 miles each....
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
One Envoy Saver for the dates and routes I wanted, one very reasonable Q fare for the same dates and routes. These were open-jaw IND-LGW//DUB-IND and PHX-LGW//DUB-PHX tickets in June/July. Q fare open-jaw with immediately confirmed upgrade was $1024.

One business class ticket on NZ LAX-LHR for the dates I wanted and 80k. Too bad I have to buy a companion ticket at $4,000 to go with...

Getting my sights set on something big next March and waiting for the 330 mark to hit...

The ANA web site makes the process so much easier when booking on *A partners. Anyone who hasn't yet setup an account should do so.

Last edited by vysean; Apr 3, 2007 at 7:14 pm Reason: added route/season info
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:00 am

330 mark? 03/30/08 or 330,000 miles for around the world or what??
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: US CP
I just booked one PHL-LGW Envoy saver award for last week of June, return end of August - hooray!

Last edited by Sally4th; Mar 31, 2007 at 6:35 am
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: US SP
Back in December, I booked two FRA-LAX Envoy saver for June, return in July.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Heinrich
330 mark? 03/30/08 or 330,000 miles for around the world or what??
Award inventory is first made available 330 days in advance. One strategy for getting those tough-to-get award seats it to try to book 330 days in advance when some inventory is first made available.

I was lucky this year and grabbed an Envoy seat for a cruise out of Rome in August at 330 days out.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Thumbs up Still working a parlay

At the 330 day mark last Aug we booked 2 coach seats at a premium 100K each to Ireland for July '08. (Only thing available). In Dec '07 we were able to change one ticket for a 80K Milage Saver Envoy seat and one for a Premium Envoy at 160K. We check several times a week hoping another 80K will show up, but unless they reconfigure that flight's plane there's little chance 'cause there's only one seat in "F" left.
Eileen
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-LifetimeP, HH-G
Looking for a little help here on milesaver awards for Europe

Originally Posted by Sally4th
I just booked one PHL-LGW Envoy saver award for last week of June, return end of August - hooray!
The 330 strategy used. Something has changed in the very recent past (since 01 JAN) where there is absolutely NO availability of milesaver tix for overseas. Check yourself. I've been looking now for quite some time for a milesaver ticket, primarily from PHL to several Europe destinations without success. I've looked from other cities as well and am not finding anything. I would be curious to see if others are finding the same result. I would think availability for me, as a Chairman's would be as open, if not more open, than others, but that's not what I'm finding. I seriously am thinking that the lack of availability is somehow tied to my account number in a negative way. I truly hope I'm just paraniod about this and that others are not finding availability as well. I've looked for either an Envoy or Coach milesaver seat from now through next Feb with no luck. Having flown and used several million miles over the last 20 years, I know how to look for tix. If someone else could look at availability for PHL / LGW or FRA or CDG or AMS or MUC through your accounts and let me know what you find, I'd really appreciate it. As I mentioned above, I really hope you don't find availability because that would indicate my account has somehow been flagged for some reason.

Let me know.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by 1Phillyflyer
The 330 strategy used. Something has changed in the very recent past (since 01 JAN) where there is absolutely NO availability of milesaver tix for overseas. Check yourself. I've been looking now for quite some time for a milesaver ticket, primarily from PHL to several Europe destinations without success. I've looked from other cities as well and am not finding anything. I would be curious to see if others are finding the same result. I would think availability for me, as a Chairman's would be as open, if not more open, than others, but that's not what I'm finding. I seriously am thinking that the lack of availability is somehow tied to my account number in a negative way. I truly hope I'm just paraniod about this and that others are not finding availability as well. I've looked for either an Envoy or Coach milesaver seat from now through next Feb with no luck. Having flown and used several million miles over the last 20 years, I know how to look for tix. If someone else could look at availability for PHL / LGW or FRA or CDG or AMS or MUC through your accounts and let me know what you find, I'd really appreciate it. As I mentioned above, I really hope you don't find availability because that would indicate my account has somehow been flagged for some reason.

Let me know.
I did a quick check this morning. PHL to LGW. There is saver coach availability today, with lots of return saver coach availability the last 2 weeks of April and most of May. Saver Envoy PHL to LGW is available today and tomorrow, with lots of return availability similar to saver coach.

I realize that leaving today may not be practical, but was just checking for any availability. If you suspect something is amiss with your account, then don't sign in. You are not required to sign in to check award availability. I was not signed in when I saw the availabile dates.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
I just booked a ticket for a friend RT to Dublin leaving after work on 5/25 and returning 6/3. It was 100K but at least it was available...
Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: USAirways - Platinum, ICHotels Platinum
Star Alliance dwindling benefits for Award tickets (and the mysterious Green dot)

Let me tell you a tale......Way back when the America West / USAir merger was announced and put together, I was pleased to see when reading the USAIR magazine that at least Kalispel MT (FCA) would be serviced by USAIR.....it was designated a seasonal destination but that was better than nothing since my wife's family lives there and we were planning a trip this summer to see them. I began calling in December for a June 2007 trip....I kept getting answers monthly that because it was seasonal destination that I would have to call beack because it the system would not let them book the trip yet. So I kept calling back.... Then at the end of Feb 2007 I was told that USAIRways was cancelling servicing that city. I have been trying to see if I can use miles to get them via the much heralded star alliance partners. I have been told though that even though United flied from PHL to FCA via DEN, that since the DEN / FCA leg is operated as "United Express/Sky West" that my miles are no good. I am not a happy camper. I guess I put too much stock in the alliance.....I have spent 6 hours on the phone today complaining.

I think USAIR should have told the customers back when that they would not be servicing FCA due to weather or whatever the reason is. They should not have continued to have shown Kalispel as a seasonal destination. It now appears in the current magazine as the only green dot in the entre world with no legend to explain what a green dot designates.

I think USAIR should have told its employees who man the phones that they would not be servicing FCA this summer....then they could have told me back in December and I would have accumlated miles with Unted directly. I was told by one employee today that it did not matter that the employees did not tell me anything, she said I should have followed the instructions and to have gotten more information by signing onto www.usairways.com and read up on the matter there (even though there was nothing to read up on).

I think USAIR should go to bat for the value of miles with its Star Alliance partners. I told one of the many secretaries of Doug Parker that she should tell Doug to have lunch with the United CEO and tell him he should include flights operated by United Express with a "slash" after it.

I told her to ask FDoug for the 3 $525 tickets it will now cost me to fly the family since I was mislead by USAIR.

Signed
A Platinum USAIR Frequent Flyer who will now less loudly defend USAIR

Last edited by tracythomasj; Apr 3, 2007 at 6:17 pm
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tracythomasj
I have been told though that even though United flied from PHL to FCA via DEN, that since the DEN / FCA leg is operated as "United Express/Sky West" that my miles are no good.
This is incorrect, I recently booked an UA IAD-DEN-PSC award, with DEN-PSC on Skywest. Try calling back.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:57 pm

As you suggested I called back and spoke to a 5th person on the platinum number...Tried to book PHL to DEN on United and then DEN to FCA on United Express/Skywest...no go. If you used to be able to book an award ticket on a United Express leg/Skywest, well times they are a'changing.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:47 pm

Out of curiosity I called back again....found Carol who knew how to do it.....unfortunately they only had one seat left and I need 3.....will ask them to open it up for me since they were at fault for not knowing how to get it done these last several months. Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by tracythomasj
Out of curiosity I called back again....found Carol who knew how to do it.....unfortunately they only had one seat left and I need 3.....will ask them to open it up for me since they were at fault for not knowing how to get it done these last several months. Thanks
I had problems booking an award on UA with DM miles because many of the agents are not familiar with the best way to search for UA award seats. One agent who knew how to search said it was because she was specifying UA in her search while some of the other agents were specifying *A which returns less availability. I read in another thread that UA flights are available for DM miles if there are more than 4 award seats remaining as they save the last 4 for UA Mileage Plus awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.