Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incompetence at Every Level

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:08 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by formeraa
While I am sympathetic to all of your trials, there are OTHER airlines out there. If I were a very frequent flyer, I would not put up with US's current antics and general lack of service.
Ditto: I will book around them for a while until I hear that their computer problems are resolved (or unless the alternative is DL through ATL). They lost my return flight from LGA to RDU on Sunday, and I came very close to being stuck overnight.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by VA Maddog
To the OP - You did a good job of documenting what you observed. I really would urge you to send that in an email to the VP's in charge of Cust Service East and West. You might have to dig around a bit to get thier email addresses or the email addresses of thier admns. They should read what you wrote. Both the Managers on duty at IAH and PHL that night should be spoken too in my humble opinion.

Providing misinformation , in my mind, is far worse than no information. Ideally they just should have been honest with the folks in IAH.

45 minutes a person for rebooking is ridiculous. Maybe thier hope was that the others in line would grow tired and just leave.

What was the cause of the delay in the first place? I'm thinking something under the airlines control if they were offering hotel vouchers. BTW - The FA on board probably just repeated what the GA in IAH told her about connections -why I don't know - trusting sole that she apparently was - and gullible.

This is so typical of US and one of the main reasons I quite flying them. I brought this up, the denial of late flights, and someone pointed out that they had recently been rebooked on a US itin; but only after a 3 hour delay. Most airlines, real ones, try to deal with this proactively before it gets like this. If they see something is going to be late they acknowledge it and try to fix it prior to even the initial scheduled departure. I remember one time standing in line at the gate at LGA while I was on the phone to the CP desk. My flight had a connection and I was worried. They assured me that the flight would depart on time. I mentioned that on time was in 1 minute and the plane wasnt boarding yet (A320) so I found that somehwhat hard to believe. They just said it was showing on time. Spent the night at a hotel in CLT that time. The no way off the plane is a common problem too and has been for years at PHL.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I typically fly HP/US since I live in the PHX area. Thankfully, things haven't been quite so bad here, at least for me.

Back in Jan, I flew UA LAX-PHX, mostly due to convenience of schedule. They had issues with getting the plane to LAX, then it had maintenance, etc...we ended up leaving 2+ hours late (I was wishing I had taken the HP flight). Anyway, after we boarded, the FA passed out forms and we had a choice of getting MP miles or a $25 cert. I requested the $25. By last week, I had completely forgotten about the whole thing and written it off...got my mail and there was a letter from UA. The cert was for $100. I'm still shocked...now just planning when/where to use it. It was definitely a fantastic gesture, and they'll get more business from me because of it.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Why were you waiting for 45 minutes at the re-booking desk if you did not have a flight?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Why were you waiting for 45 minutes at the re-booking desk if you did not have a flight?
This was explained in the thread. I was helping a passenger who I had befriended AND I was curious to see how US would handle everything since they seem to botch so much these days.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
While I am sympathetic to all of your trials, there are OTHER airlines out there. If I were a very frequent flyer, I would not put up with US's current antics and general lack of service.
I completely agree, but living in Philadelphia doesn't give me a lot of choice. I've recently booked several flights on UAL and despite that I need to make connections it gives me pleasure to not be giving US the business. But a lot of times it's just not feasible to book elsewhere.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
For the record, I'm sure they weren't getting rooms. It was probably blamed as 'weather' or ATC related...

Can't say the last time I saw US part with a hotel room or meal voucher.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm
I typically fly HP/US since I live in the PHX area. Thankfully, things haven't been quite so bad here, at least for me. . .
I'm largely the same, in terms of West flights; most go according to plan and the staff and FA's out of PHX are the same professional folks they were pre-merger. I don't know how I'd survive if they weren't. Well, I do know -- I wouldn't.

Unfortunately, my East flights, TA flights, DM interactions, CP res interactions and website problems are another story entirely.

There was a time not too many years ago when America West was as bad, on many fronts, as US is now. Parker and his team turned that around -- in stunning fashion. I'm really hoping they have an ability that's rare amongst management teams -- to turn around a growing mess of largely their own creation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.