Wiki Posts
Search

Why are fares so freakin' high??????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Why are fares so freakin' high??????

...or is it just that I am cheap? I keep trying to find a cheap fare to PHX from PHL and I can't find anything much less than $375. I flew that route in January for (I think) $150. What gives? Does this have to do with the reservation migration crap or what? Help?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Peak flying season is approaching, so I would expect fares to be higher in spring and summer.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:20 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Agreed. I know the whole year I've noticed higher-than-normal fares. I took a trip out to CVG a few weeks back and it cost me almost $1500 coming from ORF. Yet I went from RDU-PHL-PDX for $109 each way. It's that airline math none of us understand...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:58 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Bear in mind that at $150, PHX-PHL is probably not profitable. Am I the only one who thinks that $375 for a near-transcon isn't so bad? (not that I wouldn't prefer to pay $150 of course)
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
CVG is a terrible expensive airport to use, as DL controls over 80% of the flights there. I find DAY to be 45 minutes away and a much cheaper option. CMH also works.

If the PHX to PHL price is no good for you, try into EWR, MDT, or BWI. All are 90 minutes or less by car to PHL. Oh, you can try ACY and ABE as well.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
... Am I the only one who thinks that $375 for a near-transcon isn't so bad? (not that I wouldn't prefer to pay $150 of course)
I agree. Something to do with high oil prices, perhaps?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by honeytoes
...or is it just that I am cheap? I keep trying to find a cheap fare to PHX from PHL and I can't find anything much less than $375. I flew that route in January for (I think) $150. What gives? Does this have to do with the reservation migration crap or what? Help?
Just did a quick search and May 8th to 12th PHX to BWI nonstop is ony 97 bucks each way on a A320. Save yourself quite a few bucks and FLY BWI!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Bear in mind that at $150, PHX-PHL is probably not profitable. Am I the only one who thinks that $375 for a near-transcon isn't so bad? (not that I wouldn't prefer to pay $150 of course)
No, you're not.

And it's spring break/Easter/Passover. AZ is a nice warm-weather destination.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I've been monitoring LAX-AVP for flexible dates around 7/4, and every combination is pricing out at $700+. That's just ridiculous, considering the competitors are all in the $350-$500 price range. If the prices do not drop soon, I will just give up and book UA.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SS255
I've been monitoring LAX-AVP for flexible dates around 7/4, and every combination is pricing out at $700+. That's just ridiculous, considering the competitors are all in the $350-$500 price range. If the prices do not drop soon, I will just give up and book UA.
I've found PHX-AVP fares for $180+tax. DL and NW have gotten quite competitive on this route, and US matches most of the time, except when their PHX-PHL flights are full. I paid $220 all-in last Sept for PHX-AVP.

My Mom is visiting tomorrow through next week (peak season here in PHX), her roundtrip was $200 all-in. But she is flying DL...through ATL coming and CVG going back. CVG is one of the most depressing places I've been, even worse than PHL.

Watch farecompare, get alerts on travelocity, etc...and be ready to buy at a moment's notice.

To the original poster wanting cheap PHL-PHX fares, check Southwest for the same dates. If their cheap fares are sold out, US will just match what they have available (since it is just WN and US that do this route nonstop). BWI is a great tip, I've used that several times for a cheap trip.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by honeytoes
...or is it just that I am cheap?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Maybe I'm still remembering my $775 three-weeks-in-advance transcons from years ago, but $375 for this route seems reasonable.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Agreed. I know the whole year I've noticed higher-than-normal fares. I took a trip out to CVG a few weeks back and it cost me almost $1500 coming from ORF.
CVG is insanely expensive to fly arrive/depart from. Connecting through it isn't bad at all. I live 6 miles from there and will travel to DAY or CMH to save nearly 50% in some cases - connecting through CVG. I just booked on DL for a flight to LAS. Out of CVG it was $700+, out of CMH I got an M fare for 150% mileage bonus for $650.

However, the OP is correct, fares are creeping higher. Two years ago CMH-CLT-LAX in October was about $210, last year same weekend it was $400 for this year same weekend it's $510. Obviously you need to account for inflation and such but I got sort of spoiled with the low fares back then. For my routes, US has priced themselves out of the competition.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by photojojo
CVG is insanely expensive to fly arrive/depart from.
I will second that. A week ago I priced a short-notice trip CLT-CVG at an unbelievable $1300!!!! For a 1 hour flight on a CRJ....No thanks, wound up driving instead and making stops along the way.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by CLTUSCAPTIVE
I will second that. A week ago I priced a short-notice trip CLT-CVG at an unbelievable $1300!!!! For a 1 hour flight on a CRJ....No thanks, wound up driving instead and making stops along the way.
Welcome to FT. Don't blame you for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.