Wiki Posts
Search

An extrordinary and true experience from Friday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Update from the OP

Hello all. I am the OP and I thought I'd post an update.

The customer service response from US has not been up to par.

As of the original post, I had made several phone calls that all ended in disconnections. Only during one of these calls did I actually get to speak to a CR, but I must blame Cingular or Motorola for that premature termination. After about 1 hour, he started the cycle of putting me on hold while he was holding for his supervisor. When he came back for the third time, he couldn't hear me, so he said such and hung up.

Anyway, I waited for things to die down a little a tried again today. Here's how that went.

I called the Gold desk. I thought I'd start with just requesting a refund. The CR had me verify my identity and Gold status and balked a little so then I started telling the story. It might be my upbringing, but I found it difficult and embarrassing to relay the public urination points of the story. Shortly after the most disturbing points of the story had been told, she told me that she wanted to speak with her supervisor and put me on hold.

When she came back she very sweetly explained that neither her nor her supervisor would be able to help remedy such a horrible event and that I would be better served by the customer relations desk. I asked her how certain she was of this and she reiterated. She was happy to connect me and gave me a sincere "I truly hope they can help you there". Then I could hear the phone ringing again and that blasted loop started up again. (In case you don't know it yet US will be serving Athens and Zurich - they are very proud).

So now I'm in the infernal loop when a CHAIRMAN'S PREFERRED agent answers and identifies herself as such. I imagined that I had been shot right up the ladder to someone who could really make things happen.

Shortly after I got going, she sounded confused and determined that the Gold agent had made an error and that her desk is not the right place to tell 'trapped on a people mover, peeing on the ramp' stories and that the Gold agent was acting correctly by attempting to transfer me to Customer Relations. The CP agent gave me the number to write down in case of another problem and then she transferred me. To her credit, she stayed with me on the line until we heard a pick up and I had been placed on hold.

Within seconds of her leaving, the Customer Relations queue dropped me. It even said "no one is able to take your call, please try back later. Your call will be disconnected."

ARRGH!

So then I called the number myself (the CP agent had given it to me). I was placed on hold, got the music, followed by a ringing. The ringing stopped and a loud static roar came through the other line. I don't know if it was a fax or what.

So now, I'm starting to get frustrated. (I hope you can recognize my calm demeanor - I swear I'm not one of those embarrassingly confrontational people you've seen in these situations before. Verbose, perhaps, but not a hot-head).

I call the Gold desk back. My call is answered fairly quickly, a different Gold agent listens to my brief explanation of the telephone debacle and says that he'd like to process a refund of the unused portion of the flight. He put me on hold while he was on hold with his supervisor, checked back in every few minutes and in about 10-15, he explained that they would be processing a refund.

Because my unused portion was the "thu-fare" on the way to my final destination, the value will have to be calculated by the Refund Department. He can't see it or guess what it will be - but he assured me that it is being processed and the RD will post a credit to my credit card within 10-14 days.

He reconfirmed my ticket numbers and gave me the number to the RD. He suggested that because they are extremely backed up it will take all of the 10-14 days and that even if I call now, they will likely not be able to tell me anything yet.

I have not been down this road before with US. Am I getting the run around? Are there any wise words regarding refunds on a "thru-fare"?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Gasbiz
I have not been down this road before with US. Am I getting the run around? Are there any wise words regarding refunds on a "thru-fare"?
You are definitely not getting the runaround. You refund should go through without a problem. I've had similar situations with refunds and thru fares when being IDB/VDB in the middle of a trip. Just wait a few weeks and the refund will show up. The reservation agents will not be able to give you an exact refund amount as the refunds dept will have to break down the fare, taxes, PFCs, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; US Gold; DL Silver
What a nightmare! I commend your ability to stay cool -- I'd have been incandescent with rage by that point.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Hi Gasbiz- Give the refund department a reasonable amount of time to process the refund. I assume you paid for the ticket via credit card? Check your online credit card statement for the next 2 weeks or so.

If the refund amount is not satisfactory, I would file a dispute with your credit card issuer. They should be able to help resolve the issue to your satisifaction.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Hello all. I am the OP and I thought I'd post an update.

The customer service response from US has not been up to par.

As of the original post, I had made several phone calls that all ended in disconnections. Only during one of these calls did I actually get to speak to a CR, but I must blame Cingular or Motorola for that premature termination. After about 1 hour, he started the cycle of putting me on hold while he was holding for his supervisor. When he came back for the third time, he couldn't hear me, so he said such and hung up.

Anyway, I waited for things to die down a little a tried again today. Here's how that went.

I called the Gold desk. I thought I'd start with just requesting a refund. The CR had me verify my identity and Gold status and balked a little so then I started telling the story. It might be my upbringing, but I found it difficult and embarrassing to relay the public urination points of the story. Shortly after the most disturbing points of the story had been told, she told me that she wanted to speak with her supervisor and put me on hold.

When she came back she very sweetly explained that neither her nor her supervisor would be able to help remedy such a horrible event and that I would be better served by the customer relations desk. I asked her how certain she was of this and she reiterated. She was happy to connect me and gave me a sincere "I truly hope they can help you there". Then I could hear the phone ringing again and that blasted loop started up again. (In case you don't know it yet US will be serving Athens and Zurich - they are very proud).

So now I'm in the infernal loop when a CHAIRMAN'S PREFERRED agent answers and identifies herself as such. I imagined that I had been shot right up the ladder to someone who could really make things happen.

Shortly after I got going, she sounded confused and determined that the Gold agent had made an error and that her desk is not the right place to tell 'trapped on a people mover, peeing on the ramp' stories and that the Gold agent was acting correctly by attempting to transfer me to Customer Relations. The CP agent gave me the number to write down in case of another problem and then she transferred me. To her credit, she stayed with me on the line until we heard a pick up and I had been placed on hold.

Within seconds of her leaving, the Customer Relations queue dropped me. It even said "no one is able to take your call, please try back later. Your call will be disconnected."

ARRGH!

So then I called the number myself (the CP agent had given it to me). I was placed on hold, got the music, followed by a ringing. The ringing stopped and a loud static roar came through the other line. I don't know if it was a fax or what.

So now, I'm starting to get frustrated. (I hope you can recognize my calm demeanor - I swear I'm not one of those embarrassingly confrontational people you've seen in these situations before. Verbose, perhaps, but not a hot-head).

I call the Gold desk back. My call is answered fairly quickly, a different Gold agent listens to my brief explanation of the telephone debacle and says that he'd like to process a refund of the unused portion of the flight. He put me on hold while he was on hold with his supervisor, checked back in every few minutes and in about 10-15, he explained that they would be processing a refund.

Because my unused portion was the "thu-fare" on the way to my final destination, the value will have to be calculated by the Refund Department. He can't see it or guess what it will be - but he assured me that it is being processed and the RD will post a credit to my credit card within 10-14 days.

He reconfirmed my ticket numbers and gave me the number to the RD. He suggested that because they are extremely backed up it will take all of the 10-14 days and that even if I call now, they will likely not be able to tell me anything yet.

The Google tells me that your should send a link to this thread to the following email address:

[email protected]

Do it. It is the right thing to do in my opinion.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: None
Gasbiz,

Here's three contacts in case you don't get the refund. First, the DOT and from their website:

The Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD) operates a complaint handling system for consumers who experience air travel service problems. Consumers can call, write or e-mail the ACPD to register their concerns about airline service. You may call the ACPD 24 hours each day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time. Letters and e-mails will be reviewed and acknowledged and will be forwarded to an airline official for further consideration. Our mailing address is:

Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
400 7th Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20590

Our e-mail address is [email protected]

Whether you call, write or e-mail, please be brief and concise in the description of your problem and be sure to include the following information:

* your name
* address
* daytime phone number (including area code)
* name of the airline or company about which you are complaining
* flight date
* flight number
* origin and destination cities of your trip.

If you write, you should also include a copy of your airline ticket (not the original) and any correspondence you have already exchanged with the company.

Next, the company:

[email protected]
[email protected]

You probably noticed that a complaint to the DOT is automatically shared with an executive of the company. Not much gets their attention like a communication from the DOT, so I'd be surprised if you didn't get a call from someone in the executive suite the day the DOT contacted them.

Jim
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by mrhotelman
You are definitely not getting the runaround. You refund should go through without a problem. I've had similar situations with refunds and thru fares when being IDB/VDB in the middle of a trip. Just wait a few weeks and the refund will show up. The reservation agents will not be able to give you an exact refund amount as the refunds dept will have to break down the fare, taxes, PFCs, etc.

Interrupted trip aka "rule 260" (there really is no such CAB rule anymore, bur the term is still used) refunds are computed using a rather arcane formula that I wont bother going into here. An experienced ticket agent should able to do without a problem. Or rather, should have been able to so in Sabre. I have no idea how to do it in QIK. Was never covered in the training. But the refund dept should be able to do it.

Last edited by Dont call me Shirley; Mar 21, 2007 at 3:36 pm Reason: correcting fat fingered typing
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

another update

Thanks everyone for the tips and sympathy.

By the way, the email that I sent to the Gold desk on Friday night still remains unanswered. On Saturday morning, I got a seemingly automated message that included this:

"Due to the nature of your issue, we are forwarding your email to US Airways Customer Relations. They will be directing their response to [my email address]."

Still waiting.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Still waiting.
Don't hold your breathe, they don't respond.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Personally I would think that situations that lead to people peeing in public are public health issues that need to be reported to the proper authorities in the Maryland state department of health.
Old May 2, 2007, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Update from the OP

In conclusion, I would like to let everyone know that US refunded an amount for the unflown last leg (roughly equal to the amount I spent on the rental car that night) and sent a nice apology letter with an additional $400 flight voucher related to the inconvenient experience.

Except that the process took about 6 weeks in all, I am satisfied with the response. Would you be?
Old May 2, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
. . . Personally I would think that situations that lead to people peeing in public are public health issues that need to be reported to the proper authorities in the Maryland state department of health . . .

Granted, that poor woman must have been mortified, but she was in an extraordinary (and embarrassing) situation that's not as much about public health as it is about another US operational breakdown.

Ride a subway or walk the streets in any big American city and there's tons of folks pissing all over the place. If they do so in front of the mayor's house then it becomes a public health issue. Otherwise, it's just another day in America.

Barry
Old May 2, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
. . . Personally I would think that situations that lead to people peeing in public are public health issues that need to be reported to the proper authorities in the Maryland state department of health . . .

Granted, that poor woman must have been mortified, but she was in an extraordinary (and embarrassing) situation that's not as much about public health as it is about another US operational breakdown.

Ride a subway or walk the streets in any big American city and there's tons of folks pissing all over the place. If they do so in front of the mayor's house then it becomes a public health issue. Otherwise, it's just another day in America.

Barry

But the people who piss in subway and streets make the decision to do so. The woman in question above was forced to do so (she had no other choice) because of a USAir screwup. Big difference.

Then again, I believe that urine is actually sterile. So techically it may not be a health issue after all. It just smells.
Old May 2, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Yes, urine is sterile in a healthy person, but my issue would be that of the sexual offenders.

I have a male friend who relieved himself in public. He was caught doing so and is now technically a sexual predator (or whatever they are called) and must register himself when he moves, etc. I'd have held it in for fear that some moron would call attention to that fact and I'd be eternally labeled a sicko.
Old May 2, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
Except that the process took about 6 weeks in all, I am satisfied with the response. Would you be?
Thanks for the update. I think I would be satisfied too. I'm definitely willing to cut extra slack considering the operational nightmare that was US in March '07. If this sort of thing happened during regular operations, I'd be quite a bit more critical.

Slightly OT, but considering the 6+ week delay that many have reported in getting satisfaction, I can't help but wonder what sort of lasting impact March will have on US in Q2. I don't know specifically how the accounting works, but I presume that these refunds and vouchers are all expenses that get booked against Q2 revenue. '07 outlook keeps getting dimmer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.