Wiki Posts
Search

How to make a stop without paying extra? SFO-PIT-PHL-ITH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Smile How to make a stop without paying extra? SFO-PIT-PHL-ITH

Hi,

I booked my ticket online yesterday for SFO to ITH with this routing SFO-PIT-PHL-ITH-PHL-SFO. They have direct flight from SFO to PHL at the other time.

I want to make a stop for one day at PHL before going to ITH. I tried to change the reservation online and they are charging me around $200 for using multi-city booking and they take SFO-PHL, PHL-ITH, as 2 segments.

I am wondering if there is any way for me to avoid paying $200 extra?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:00 pm

Programs: US SP
Originally Posted by wahaha1
Hi,

I booked my ticket online yesterday for SFO to ITH with this routing SFO-PIT-PHL-ITH-PHL-SFO. They have direct flight from SFO to PHL at the other time.

I want to make a stop for one day at PHL before going to ITH. I tried to change the reservation online and they are charging me around $200 for using multi-city booking and they take SFO-PHL, PHL-ITH, as 2 segments.

You're probably out of luck. Most fare rules don't allow a stopover.

If you're booking a ticket for personal travel, this might be a good opportunity to use miles. Award tickets allow a stopover at a US hub which is on a valid routing (PHL certainly qualifies here). Although you might have to call a few times to get an agent that actually knows how to do this.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: US SP, Amtrak GR
Generally when flying to ITH you get to stay in over in PHL anyway regardless of your schedule... especially days like today
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by wahaha1
Probably not: if I recall, the rule for stopovers on a single fare is 4 hours or less on a domestic (US/CA) flight, or "the next available flight". I have managed to have good luck with the US Express carriers (especially EAS routes) by planning "long" (5+ hour) connections to the last flight of the day going home.

I think you're out of luck, as Asimu Pawa said earlier in the thread... though I'm not sure if ITH is an EAS route.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
For awhile HP offered a layover at LAS for no extra money. I believe I took them up on it once but can't recall when the option went away. It was a fun perk.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: US SP
Originally Posted by billybob123
though I'm not sure if ITH is an EAS route.
I doubt it, given that 2 different airlines serve ITH (US and NW) and US serves it to two different destinations (LGA and PHL). Is there a list of EAS routes online somewhere?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by asimu pawa
I doubt it, given that 2 different airlines serve ITH (US and NW) and US serves it to two different destinations (LGA and PHL). Is there a list of EAS routes online somewhere?
I'm more of an upstate NY EAS guy anyway! Never been to the "far south" of NY State for flying.

As for the EAS route listing...

EAS Markets (PDF file with nearest hubs, but not with the EAS flight):
http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/rural/proximity.pdf

EAS Flight annual report, up-to-date as far as I can tell (e.g. OGS/MSS/ART changes to BOS from PIT starting April 9):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Air_Service

(excluding Alaska)
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your opinions..

I am now so regret about not using mile for this, if I know earlier that I need to stop PHL, I wouldn't buy the tix on the website. Since the tix is non refundeble, seems that I have no choice but to pay $200 extra for this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.