US Int'l Gold Line Not Taking Calls Today 2/1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Benny8444
Welcome to UA ^
Have a good flight.
Hint-Sometimes UA will offer an upgrade to C (business class) for $550. make sure to ask at checkin.

Ben
Thanks Ben, she's sitting right behind me and I suggested it to her. I was a near 2M UA customer but haven't flown them in almost 10 yrs. So that's news to me. $550 is a smoking deal. She did get E+ even on short notice, so that's nice. She did mention the US Gold problem and that she's going to be making this trip often over the next few months. Looks like that worked. That's my gal!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I agree with KevAZ.

NOTHING should ever get in the way of a customer trying to give you money.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Uh yeah, I agree about the sarcasm. "Ma Kettle" deals with pharma benefits computer systems all day long and "Pa Kettle" works with airline res systems and many other web enabled eCommerce customers every day (among other things). I can't get into details why.... neither one of us likes to call, we do everything on the web. But she can't due to "client restrictions." That's all I can tell you. Expedia, etc won't help.

So yes, darn it, she needed to buy a ticket over the phone to LHR but couldn't. And am I bit touchy about people that have never run a call center acting like this isn't a big deal? Yes! I've run them and the fact they can't sell an int'l ticket to a FF customer tells me everything I need to know about their call center mgmt. Short of a coast to coast shut down of all the major cities US serves, there's no reason not to accept calls, pay the $0.02/minute to leave the customer in a queue and eventually get to them. To tell them to go away and don't bother us sends a solid signal. Especially when it's been all day long

I doubt that Doug Parker and Scott Kirby are aware of this, so I'll give them some details as well as suggestions on how they can prevent the same in the future.
It seems like people are forgetting about United Airlines and the mess they dealt with with the horrible storms in Denver. You could not get through to anybody on any phone number, domestic, international, premier, 1k, etc. You couldnt even get through to India. This problem can happen with any airline, even the best ones, so back off of US Airways (and no I am not an employee of US). How is it US Airways fault that people with Domestic reservations started calling the international line?? I am sure if US Airways could have taken every call, they would have, it was just not possible. As with any phone system there are only so many calls that can be held queue at any one time. Its has to do with the amount of available trunk lines. When all those trunk lines are filled, you will either get busy signals or a message that all lines are busy call back later (such as with this situation). It also better that US Airways just said to call back from the get go, unlike UA that would make you go through the horrible voice response system, only to get a busy signal afterwards.

So stop complaining and get on with life. Also, I am sure Doug Parker and Scott Kirby are well aware of what has occured, so let them be.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Chairmans, Air Tran Elite, NWA Silver, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
I agree with KevAZ.

NOTHING should ever get in the way of a customer trying to give you money.
US Airways as with any other airline cannot control every single thing that can possibly affect their operations. So saying that NOTHING should ever get in the way of collecting money, is impossible. Granted US may have made some not so customer friendly decisions lately, but do you seriously think for one minute that they would willingly give up business?? Think about it!!
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
Just curious, why couldn't you book it online?
If it's a customer with an Apple computer, it appears that US made the decision this week to stop supporting Apple's browser Safari. (see US/Mac thread)

I have not been able to buy a ticket on the usairways.com for the last five days.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flight62
Kev
Please check the weather channel. Your reaction is very typical of those living in the wonderful desert SW. Please be aware that right now the concern is dealing with thousands of customers dealing with a winter storm heading up the east coast.

Your response is out of line AND sad, sad, sad!!
No offense but that response is very typical of what's wrong with the service industry and airlines (especially US in particular). Using the weather as an excuse is sometimes valid. Too often its used to cover up the fact that the airline will only operate perfectly in perfect operations system-wide. With a national network, that's 50% of the time at best. The storm was moderate at worst and really a low-grade winter storm. It cannot be used as excuse not to answer other callers calls. It's an excuse fo the company to cut corners and not hire enough phone agents.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603
No offense but that response is very typical of what's wrong with the service industry and airlines (especially US in particular). Using the weather as an excuse is sometimes valid. Too often its used to cover up the fact that the airline will only operate perfectly in perfect operations system-wide. With a national network, that's 50% of the time at best. The storm was moderate at worst and really a low-grade winter storm. It cannot be used as excuse not to answer other callers calls. It's an excuse for the company to cut corners and not hire enough phone agents.
sts603 - thanks for the reasonable insight. I've seen both positive and negative from you; just as I have posted. I am not bashing US on every front, just where it needs to be brought to light. I had to laugh at another person's post about Parker and Kirby are aware of the problem. I sometimes stroll the halls of US' HQ. This is a very large company and has many lanes of focus going at top speed. No, it is not possible that either of these fine gentlemen (and I mean that in a positive way as I like both of them) are aware of what was happening. This level of reporting doesn't make it to the COO and CEO level.

I did point out that I've run call centers for a global air express company and I recognize the effect of various weather issues on an airline's customer service line. I didn't mention this to bash US for the heck of it. It's clearly a blind spot for them and I hope to get it out in the open with US customers that haven't abandoned them.

To summarize: Love the UG, as a Silver I made it 94% in '06 ^ ^ ^ ^ and now am up to Gold. I finally have been able to bust open my 750,000+ DM miles to book 3 Biz class to SYD and back ^ ^

I am still P.O.'d about the change in the Ts&Cs of the Hub Club's policy on alcohol included early into my last year of that program. And I am appalled at the lack of consistency in quality and staffing of US' call centers.

I never mentioned plastic cups, old leather seats, F food etc. that I see here all of the time since that doesn't make a dent into my choice of carrier. Not one whit. The above does. <End of rant.>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.