Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I flew, but I really didn't fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:04 am
Original Poster

I flew, but I really didn't fly?

I booked a flight through United on USAirways metal, took the flight and waited two weeks for my miles to post...nothing. I called US up and gave them the flight numbers and all the other stuff and they find no record of me even being on the flight.

I have a baggage claim ticket and a printed receipt from paying with my credit card, but according to them I never got on the flight. The agent asked if I had my boarding pass and I told her no, I don't keep that sort of thing, it was just by chance that I had kept the baggage claim ticket. So she talks to her supervisor and basically says that there is no proof of my even taking a flight with them so I cannot receive my miles.

Granted its only about 7,000 miles, but I think its a far scarier thing that I flew on a plane and there is no record of me doing so. I called United and they have no idea about what's going on. My question is how do I call and press more US or United. Neither seem to know that I flew.

I'm not sure how ethical this would be, but since either airline has any record of me flying what's to stop me from calling and disputing the charges on my credit card?

And for my final point....this would be the reason why the boss should not be in charge of 'planning' buisness trips. It could be that its just my boss, but more likely I'm the unluckiest person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, US Air- CP, United 1P, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
When you called United, did they showed te flight coupons were used for those flights? If so then you might have them send you a copy of the VCR which shows that the flight coupon for that flight is used which means you have flown on the flight.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
I'm a little confused on if you are trying to get UA Mileage Plus miles or US Dividend Miles. This may help us identify who you should work with more.

However, bottom line is that you need the boarding passes 99.99999% of the time to prove you were on a flight. The matra around here is that you keep the boarding passes until, at least, the flight posts to your FF account. (Some folks keep them forever.)

As for disputing the charge, that's up to you; I wouldn't do it.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
sounds like you were intending to use your DM account on a United flight - if that was the case, i agree 100% with the previous poster, gotta keep the boarding passes until the miles show up.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, US Air- CP, United 1P, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Why wouldnt you dispute the charge, what does he have to loose?

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
I'm a little confused on if you are trying to get UA Mileage Plus miles or US Dividend Miles. This may help us identify who you should work with more.

However, bottom line is that you need the boarding passes 99.99999% of the time to prove you were on a flight. The matra around here is that you keep the boarding passes until, at least, the flight posts to your FF account. (Some folks keep them forever.)

As for disputing the charge, that's up to you; I wouldn't do it.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I really don't want the miles on United, I have never flown with them. I want the miles posted to my US account. I really don't fly them all that much either but I'm almost to a free ticket with them.

I have no idea why/how my boss booked the US flight through United, but what's done is done.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
The flights are Codeshare, so I can see that happening. I don't know the particulars, but the actual ticket # may be helpful and United should be able to find that for you.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by xflyboy2005x
Why wouldnt you dispute the charge, what does he have to loose?
Karma.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You can be absolutely positive that the airline has data on you actually boarding the flight. Just think of the revenue management, controls, SarBox, etc. implications of not having that from an operations and controls standpoint.

Heck, just doing weight and balance calculations they would almost need to track that data.

But why should they do they work when they can have their customers do it?

Not unique to them.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
You can be absolutely positive that the airline has data on you actually boarding the flight. Just think of the revenue management, controls, SarBox, etc. implications of not having that from an operations and controls standpoint.

Heck, just doing weight and balance calculations they would almost need to track that data.

But why should they do they work when they can have their customers do it?

Not unique to them.
I love a bit of pointless cynicism. Very helpful.. If the OP persists with the issuing carrier - UA - they should easily provide him with ETKT numbers which should resolve this situation.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:04 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by warbo
If the OP persists with the issuing carrier - UA - they should easily provide him with ETKT numbers which should resolve this situation.
Which may just show that it wasn't "pointless cynicism".

Surely someone in the DMSC could take the OPer's info, call their counterpart @ UA, and straighten this all out. But then they'd have to do the work instead of having the OP "persist".....

Jim
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: V-Flyer Black
Ok so you need a boarding card to claim miles.

So whats to stop me from buying a ticket and checkin online or just going to the airport and not boarding the flight and claiming the miles? Prefect mileagfe run then?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Which may just show that it wasn't "pointless cynicism".
Sorry if my experience working with airline revenue management systems (long ago) and confirming that they undoubtedly have a record that the OP flew on that plane was considered pointless. I thought it might be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.