Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, Rotten Cust Service Getting Worse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by KevAZ
The "hang up and call back" suggestion is just plane solid human waste.
Wow, what a post.

You're entitled to your opinion and that's fine. I also used to be under the school of thought that I'd rather deal with an outsourced person who actually was paid a decent (for them) wage and liked their job as opposed to the US alternative.

I've since changed that thought process as I have engaged in way too many mind-numbing discussions with the outsourced call centers (not limited to US) that I find myself reaching for the end button if I hear a tinge of an accent (although I generally give them a try). Try calling the general baggage services number and see how far you get. It's a non-stop to frustration land.

But here's the bottom line. No one is going to look out for you except you. Philosophies aside, that's the honest truth.

If you want to fly to Australia on an award ticket then it's up to you to make it happen. And you can make it happen.

As much as I'd love to see someone expose the truths of award availability, attn'y general or not, it comes down to FF programs are nothing more than marketing schemes. The airline / hotel chain / car rental company etc. sets their own rules. It's up to us to play by those rules.

If we don't like the rules, and the changes. We can pack our bags and move over to someone else. And play under their rules.

(For the record, by no means does this post reflect that I condone US' actions. I just try and take a practicle approach to it.)
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have had the same feelings of frustration as you do KevAZ, and many others on this board too. However, I have indeed learned that hanging up and calling back works, and it isn't a waste of time if you get what you want.

Best advice, call early AM eastern time when it is not busy and you'll likely get an agent with time on his or her hands and willing to help, and if you are prepared, knowing what's available, even better.

My last three calls, most Asia, were arranged in 15 minutes, Business for 2. Last call was an attempt to book business with Virgin. First agent said can't be done while many seats were available on the Virgin site. Next I got an agent who was all excited about learning how to do this and no effort was too much (calling supervisor, Tempe, etc.) to do this.

As we all know, this LCC management is not interested in customer service. That doesn't mean, however, that there are people on the front lines who see it as their job to help you and are good at it.

Don't ask me why I'm still with US, during every trip I come up with reasons to finally move on. Guess part of what keeps me are the moments where you meet the people who are willing to go the extra mile (or just do their job properly).

As for score:
1. SQ
2. ANA
Hope to fly Thai next month.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by belynch
No one is going to look out for you except you. Philosophies aside, that's the honest truth.
I know I'm a bit off topic but that is really the basis of a most excellent philosophy called "Objectivism" to which I subscribe If you've read Atlas Shrugged or the Fountainhead then you know a bit about it already.

Anyway, while a lot of interesting points have been made, ultimately this quote is the best advice, not only in this situation but in ALL of life's situations!

Sean
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Oh, I know Ayn Rand well and subscribe to her philosophy. Should give you an idea why I have no mercy at pulling the trigger on useless baggage that sucks expenses yet adds no value. And frequently this includes CEOs (Nardelli/Home Depot).

I've decided to fight fire with fire, and am documenting all of the premium *Alliance seats available at any given time over the next few weeks, then will turn the data over to the AZ Republic. It'll be their call as to whether they believe it's newsworthy. Given the home town airline seems to act like they are in the big time with *Alliance but apparently aren't, one would think that this is good, hard fact finding news.

Last edited by KevAZ; Jan 27, 2007 at 9:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.