Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHI immigration lineup

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
PHI immigration lineup

I am a Canadian, who is considering going between YOW and IST, via PHI on US Air next month.

If I come back, I would obviously have to go through US immigration and customs lines. What are the lineups, either for the US citizen/residents' lines, or for the nonUS resident line?

PS-As a Canadian, I am getting contradictory information as to whether I can use the US citizen and residents line,or the nonUS resident line (the issue being Canadians, besides Americans, do not need visas, are not on a visa waiver program, and do not have to be fingerprinted or retinal scanned - however, Canadians still are not "US citizens or residents" - a thread on the AC forum was giving contradictory information as to whether I had the ability to use the American line, or whether I had to go onto the nonAmerican line.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It's fast--at least that has been my experience. Both lines (US and visitors) seem to move pretty briskly.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:18 pm

Don't even think about it. If you want to use the US citizen/ resident line, get a US passport or green card! Canadians are not Americans. That means you need to use the foreigner line. Got it?

I *hated* it when Canadians would try to sneak into the US citizen line at YYZ- the US citizen line is never more than 5 people with 2-3 immigration officials while the noncitizen line is like 45 minutes!
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Canadians are not Americans. That means you need to use the foreigner line. Got it?
Oh, please. How about a little more drama.

Use the shortest line -- like most Americans would.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't even think about it. If you want to use the US citizen/ resident line, get a US passport or green card! Canadians are not Americans. That means you need to use the foreigner line. Got it?
Get over it.

In fact, US citizens can often use the "Citizens" line when travelling to many European countries (it's labelled as such). But you, schistosomiasis, shouldn't--because you can get an EU passport if you wanted to use that line.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:37 am

I *hated* it when Canadians would try to sneak into the US citizen line at YYZ- the US citizen line is never more than 5 people with 2-3 immigration officials while the noncitizen line is like 45 minutes!
schistosomiasis, please don't post on this forum if you're going to write messages like this. It's unwelcome.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am a Canadian, who is considering going between YOW and IST, via PHI on US Air next month.

If I come back, I would obviously have to go through US immigration and customs lines. What are the lineups, either for the US citizen/residents' lines, or for the nonUS resident line?

PS-As a Canadian, I am getting contradictory information as to whether I can use the US citizen and residents line,or the nonUS resident line (the issue being Canadians, besides Americans, do not need visas, are not on a visa waiver program, and do not have to be fingerprinted or retinal scanned - however, Canadians still are not "US citizens or residents" - a thread on the AC forum was giving contradictory information as to whether I had the ability to use the American line, or whether I had to go onto the nonAmerican line.
My limited experience w/ PHL has shown it's entirely time dependant ... I think AMS, CDG, and FCO all come in ~ 3p. Insane lines when I came back from FCO (I am CDN too, btw).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by US_Usually
schistosomiasis, please don't post on this forum if you're going to write messages like this. It's unwelcome.
schistosomiasis' post was a little harsh but he is the same person who offered a couple of US ugrades on this forum last XMas to anyone who could use them ... Think we should cut him some slack. Seems line cutters are his pet-peeve.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
My limited experience w/ PHL has shown it's entirely time dependant ... I think AMS, CDG, and FCO all come in ~ 3p. Insane lines when I came back from FCO (I am CDN too, btw).
Which line do you use - the one for Americans, or the one for non-Americans?
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Which line do you use - the one for Americans, or the one for non-Americans?
non-CDN. I've been lucky ... A little early on an FCO-PHL flight saved me 30 extra minutes in line.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:29 am

In my experience, the lines move at about the same pace. Twenty minutes is the longest I've had to wait on about ten return trips from Europe. Also, the lines are almost faster in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.