Search

Improved Bump Vouchers Debut August 1!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Anyone?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'm also interested to know if anyone has had any success turning these into a $200 voucher. I have a RTFC set to expire in the next few months and so far I've found the thing to be completely worthless.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:15 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by OverpaidSlacker
i don't think this has been made clear yet:

let's say mrs. overpaidslacker and i picked up bump vouchers for a domestic flight on july 21st (which we did). will these vouchers, which were issued on july 21st and which remain unused at the time of this post, be eligible for "conversion" into $$ toward a future, mileage-earning flight (since they will be redeemed after 01august), or will they remain valid only for a rtfc?

with fingers crossed, i am:
I would try exchanging these at the LAS or PHX Customer Service counters located inside the terminals or the equivalent CLT/PHL locations if the elite line won't do it for you.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:31 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
I should have rephrased: I've gotten $600 from United for a DOMESTIC bump - which makes $400 for a Europe bump seem positively Scroogeish.
I was on a TWA flight from MCI->STL back a few years ago that was way overbooked around Thanksgiving. They were offering 2 Free tickets + $200 cash for each of 4 people to take a voluntary bump.

One family of four took them up on the offer...

...Of course, TWA went bankrupt not too long thereafter.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I did this by letter

I took a bump last year on USAir, had the free ticket voucher and planned on using the voucher in 07. Since the vouchers come out of the same bucket as FF tickets, I had to wait so many days out before I could book my ticket. When that time approached, website was down and wasn't working properly for weeks due to merger so I couldn't even see availability.

I wrote to USAir explained the situation and asked for a dollar amt. credit voucher instead of the free ticket. Mailed it certified mail of course. Within 8 weeks I received a letter with $250 credit for a flight. It was an American West voucher and I redeemed it immediately. Of course I had to go to the airport to have it ticketed. I don't know if I'll receive miles for my trip since I did have to add a few dollars to it. I should but you never know these days.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by OverpaidSlacker
i don't think this has been made clear yet:

let's say mrs. overpaidslacker and i picked up bump vouchers for a domestic flight on july 21st (which we did). will these vouchers, which were issued on july 21st and which remain unused at the time of this post, be eligible for "conversion" into $$ toward a future, mileage-earning flight (since they will be redeemed after 01august), or will they remain valid only for a rtfc?

with fingers crossed, i am:
I don't know whether this has been discussed in other threads, but the short answer is yes. I picked up a bump voucher for a PHL-YUL flight in early May, so before the new vouchers were introduced. I wanted to exchange it for an early March flight from BDL to Vancouver/Calgary or Edmonton. I called US yesterday to ask if there's any availability, but of course there wasn't. I went to the US counter at BDL today to double check it. The agent told me she's not able to book it at the counter (she was able to check and confirm there's no availability, though). She said I should always call the US first, book a flight, and then come to a US-served airport to exchange the voucher within 24 (48?) hours. It is always necessary to come to the airport, because they treat vouchers as payment, so no electronic exchanges are possible.

I asked her about the $$ conversion for a flight, and after talking to her supervisor she confirmed this is possible. So now I am going to to strike a better deal and use the $300 from the voucher to partly pay for a trip to Hawaii. And now I have a question: the lowest fare from BDL to HNL in March is $558 + tax. It's in the L-class. I noticed there were somewhat cheaper fares in December in the T-class. Do you think the March fare may go down (e.g. if there are special offers), or is it unlikely and I'd better book it as soon as possible?

Btw, the US guy on the phone told me that I could try to call him again on Monday, because they always refresh their award availability on Mondays, so there may be new seats available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.