Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Elites: Do your seat assignments disappear or is it just UA flyers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Whenever I book a USAir flight on ual.com, it seems that my seat assignments disappear if it's a USAir metal flight rather than USAir codeshare on UA metal. Doesw this constantly happen to USAir flyers too?

Latest case in point: I have an itinerary next week on a UA ticket that is USAir on the outbound, USAir codeshare flights on UA metal on the return. I just called USAir reservations (and it sounded like I got an India call center) and was told that my return seat assignments were just whatI had expected. But on the outbound I had been switched to a window seat from my confirmed aisle seat; I was then told that no aisle seats were available. When I pointed out that I was a Star Alliance Gold, she was able to assign me the exact same aisle seat I originally had....

This is really getting to be a pain..
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
Whenever I book a USAir flight on ual.com, it seems that my seat assignments disappear if it's a USAir metal flight rather than USAir codeshare on UA metal. Doesw this constantly happen to USAir flyers too?

Latest case in point: I have an itinerary next week on a UA ticket that is USAir on the outbound, USAir codeshare flights on UA metal on the return. I just called USAir reservations (and it sounded like I got an India call center) and was told that my return seat assignments were just whatI had expected. But on the outbound I had been switched to a window seat from my confirmed aisle seat; I was then told that no aisle seats were available. When I pointed out that I was a Star Alliance Gold, she was able to assign me the exact same aisle seat I originally had....

This is really getting to be a pain..
Sounds like they are prepping to be the next airline to implement charges for exit row and aisle seats...
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by flyingnew
Sounds like they are prepping to be the next airline to implement charges for exit row and aisle seats...
Nope but had this as a *GOLD flying on UA. As a US, I checked-in and had bulk-head (boarding pass and all - online), but when I went to board, was told it was wrong and I was in row 12.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:10 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I can't say that I would trust united.bomb for anything.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL

Amen to that.. my friend!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former US1; IHG Spire Ambassador; AVIS First
I have lost seats on HP a few times, but never on UA, and I book most of my UA tix thru usairways.com.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL

Ya, I definately agree. Even though many compline about usairways.com I definately prefare it over ual.com. aa.com is real slow too

the americawest.com and usairways are my 2 fav's
other than that www.lot.com and www.airnewzealand.com is real nice as well!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Ya, I definately agree. Even though many compline about usairways.com I definately prefare it over ual.com. aa.com is real slow too

the americawest.com and usairways are my 2 fav's
other than that www.lot.com and www.airnewzealand.com is real nice as well!

Wow! This book is going to be one tough read
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I feel as though (*gold) I have my seats changed on UAL metal about 25% of the time. Never has it happened though after I printed my boarding pass. I have been bumped out of E+ on a full flight before though.

M
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:49 pm

US and UA res agents do not generally have direct access to each other's seat maps, despite the codeshare. Therefore, if you make a seat assignment on a US plane through UA, or vice-versa, the seats are requested but not guaranteed. Although the agent can see the likely availability of seats, it doesn't necessarily mean the other airline can confirm them. Maybe this is the problem? It's always best to make seat assignments with the airline on whose metal you are flying. Hope this helps...
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former US1; IHG Spire Ambassador; AVIS First
Originally Posted by warbo
US and UA res agents do not generally have direct access to each other's seat maps, despite the codeshare. Therefore, if you make a seat assignment on a US plane through UA, or vice-versa, the seats are requested but not guaranteed. Although the agent can see the likely availability of seats, it doesn't necessarily mean the other airline can confirm them. Maybe this is the problem? It's always best to make seat assignments with the airline on whose metal you are flying. Hope this helps...
Interesting. I use the seat maps on Orbitz to check availability for seat assignments before making reservations on a particular flight, etc., and usariways.com to book tix, even on UA. Without exception, my seat selection shows occupied on Orbitz after I complete the reservation. I haven't lost a seat on UA yet, and have always got my original selection.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Au contraire ...

My worst problems with losing seat assignments have been as
a US elite on a US ticket and a US flight. With my Mileage Plus
number in there, things are usually fine.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:29 pm

no problems, but come to think of it I typically call to confirm seats/get better seats with each airline on these mixed itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.