Wiki Posts
Search

I've been cut free, help me land somewhere

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Cool I've been cut free, help me land somewhere

Well folks, its apparent that for me it is time to tip the hat to USAirways and head off into the sunset. The end of CP carryover has opened my eyes that there are better airlines out there to serve as my secondary carrier to UA.
I'll always requalify for 1K on UA but I need a domestic airline to have as a secondary. I have already experimented with AA--flew some discounted F and C tickets to make AA Platinum but realized that upgrades on all other fares will either cost you $$ or leave you in coach.

So I looked at Delta--they don't match status so there is little incentive to sit in their coach to make status.

Now I am looking at Continental. Free upgrades, nice big F Class cabins with the 757 configured as we all remember it on US. Forget upgrading internationally though. But what I here, the CO F cabin is pretty nice in terms of service and meals. Plus, since they have a real code-sharing agreement with NW, you get free upgrades on NW also ^ . Heard redeeming can be tough and there is that pesky 50% EQM for not booking on their website. But sounds like a better overall experience than dirty airplanes, attitude lousy food and PHL.

So what do you say?? Being accustomed to the priveledges of CP, where do old Chairman's Preferred cowboys go??
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Well folks, its apparent that for me it is time to tip the hat to USAirways and head off into the sunset. The end of CP carryover has opened my eyes that there are better airlines out there to serve as my secondary carrier to UA.
I'll always requalify for 1K on UA but I need a domestic airline to have as a secondary. I have already experimented with AA--flew some discounted F and C tickets to make AA Platinum but realized that upgrades on all other fares will either cost you $$ or leave you in coach.

So I looked at Delta--they don't match status so there is little incentive to sit in their coach to make status.

Now I am looking at Continental. Free upgrades, nice big F Class cabins with the 757 configured as we all remember it on US. Forget upgrading internationally though. But what I here, the CO F cabin is pretty nice in terms of service and meals. Plus, since they have a real code-sharing agreement with NW, you get free upgrades on NW also ^ . Heard redeeming can be tough and there is that pesky 50% EQM for not booking on their website. But sounds like a better overall experience than dirty airplanes, attitude lousy food and PHL.

So what do you say?? Being accustomed to the priveledges of CP, where do old Chairman's Preferred cowboys go??
On CO: be careful....lots of RJs on some routes will leave you in Y - on others, without a full-fare ticket, even as a Plat you may still well end up in Y more than half the time.

On AA: why is AA any different than UA? You still earn certs. Upgrades are free on Y/B. And unlike UA, AA EXP have free upgrades across the domestic board. Not to mention, certs are half price compared to UA.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I would go AA EXP. Free domestic upgrades (100 hours prior to departure), 4 e-vips for qualification (system wide upgrades), good F service and meals (most of the time), a club just about everywhere you go, and the employees are pretty good too. I would say if I wasn't stuck where I am now I would definitely work my way up to AA EXP instead of US CP. I'll probably look for another place to place my status within the nest year or so when I move.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by zsmith2
4 e-vips for qualification (system wide upgrades)
8 actually. But yes, if you fly an extra 100k, I think AA EXP is the way to go.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:55 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
From your profile, you are 1K, AA Plat and CP. That's close to 200k+ of flying. If you're flying that much, why not do a 1K/EXP/SP combo?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS

My brother is a Platinum on CO. Every year he spends more time in Y even on full fare tickets.... caution.....
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dukeman
My brother is a Platinum on CO. Every year he spends more time in Y even on full fare tickets.... caution.....
We all seem to know this. Any idea WHY CO has such a bad upgrade rate?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I would go with AA. Thats what I ended up doing. They are a nice compliment UA both in terms of flights and in terms of the frequent flyer program. Especially if you fly enough to get EXP I think the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Even at Platinum, while not perfect, I think the program is quite solid.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sts603
We all seem to know this. Any idea WHY CO has such a bad upgrade rate?
The mileage threshold or plat is only 75K and their hub structure makes it pretty easy to rack up the EQMs...

There are a huge number of elites on CO == lots of competition for upgrades
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:33 pm

Learn from my mistake: AA EXP is the way to go. I dated NW for a bit. Obviously I am cold to them now. If I had focused my flying solely on AA I would have gotten past PLAT and made EXP and not be sitting in WHY all the time. Also note redemption on AA is very good, probably the best in the industry.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Does anyone know UA's upgrade success rate for Premier Executive? I live on the west coast and I think UA will be my choice if things dont change @US
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:21 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
For a secondary airline, you have US anyway... so you can earn UA miles if they are the best flight for you.

I primarily stay with US/HP since I fly many times from Ontario and connection through Phoenix is great. Also, I end up in Phoenix 50% of the time.... so for me it is a no brainer..... I only fly 100-130 seg a year, so I just stay with CP.

I would not go Continental.. Elite is not so "elite" there, as it is not as exclusive as other airlines... many to compete with.

I personally would pick AA if you are looking for 1st... if you are just looking to earn miles in one spot, then AA is good for them and Alaska.....

Good luck!
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm a few months ahead of you and would recommend AA. I flew a handful of rountrips on CO before realizing that booking discount fares on my required corporate travel portal was getting me nearly nothing - I could fly round-trip 49 weeks a year and not even make Silver.

I'm mostly on UA, but you seem to have that covered. AA would be my next choice, from what I've experienced.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dukeman
This is only true when flying out of a few markets - IAH, EWR. I don't know the rate out of DCA but I fly out of CLE alot and when I'm not on a RJ (50%), I'm up front 100% of the time - all on cheap discounted coach fares. If you fly out of one of the other hubs though I hear it's totally different.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:17 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carl92103
Does anyone know UA's upgrade success rate for Premier Executive? I live on the west coast and I think UA will be my choice if things dont change @US
Crappy. I don't think I cleared a single segment where I didn't have to buy F to get on the plane. By no means is that a typical experience, though my colleague didn't do much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.