Wiki Posts
Search

Free Upgrade To Economy Plus on United?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Free Upgrade To Economy Plus on United?

Hello,

I've recently made SP on US and I have a question about getting upgraded from E to E+ on United. I'm flying on a United ticket and have no United status (my DM # is on my reservation).

I spoke to United reservations and they claimed I need to be Preferred on United to be upgraded for free to Economy Plus.

US SP reservations says I can try to be upgraded when I arrive at the airport, but not before then.

Does anyone know the real answer?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVP
in all my experience on UA, they have put me in E+ over the phone. i would call again and just ask for a seat assignment, if they give you something in the back of E, just remind them that you are *A Silver and see what they say. This could be a new policy?
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Well, I am US Silver, and I got E+ on United just last week. So, if it is a change, it must be pretty recent... I would just follow the time-honoured advice, call again, and try with a different agent. Don't wait till the airport; they might run out of E+ seats.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:34 am

Programs: US, AA
Yes, E+ is awarded on a first come first serve basis. So, waiting until the day of departure is a bad idea. There were some reports that the India call center did not know how to handle these things. Hopefully, you will not get routed there when you call.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I flew UA on 3 international flights this year and always gotten E+ with my US GP number without any problem. My next trip is in two weeks with UA again. On that reservation, initially the reservation agent told me the system did not allow her to assign E+ seat to me. Then she put me on told for about a minute and came back with an E+ aisle seat and the middle seat next to me blocked.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:08 am
Original Poster

On my 3rd call to United I finally got someone who knew what I was talking about (after being on hold for 5-10 minutes while she checked with her supervisor). US SP are eligable for upgrade ahead of time, there are just no seats available on my flights. I'm traveling on the Monday after Thanksgiving, so I'll give it a shot when I check in at the airport!

All 3 phone calls were via a call center in India. First 2 reps knew nothing about the DM program (one never even heard of "Silver"). The 3rd rep was pretty decent. Ironically enough, the way I became SP was by flying to Bangalore. I guess what goes around, comes around :-)

Thanks again for the help!
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: US, UA
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I flew UA on 3 international flights this year and always gotten E+ with my US GP number without any problem. My next trip is in two weeks with UA again.
OT: US or UA ticketing? Given the choice, would you internationally fly US coach or UA E+, if price were the same, with DM accrual? Pros/Cons?
Old Nov 11, 2005, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I would call back a few days in advance. I don't recall what Premiere upgrade windows are (7-3-1?), but it stands to reason that some E+ seats will open up at the time the 1K & 1P upgrades clear. This presumes, of course, that there is upgrade availability at the time the windows open up. Otherwise, get to the gate about 90 minutes in advance, and schmooze up the gate agent in the hopes of having them slip you into an E+ seat at the time they clear a Premiere.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 3:48 pm

Programs: US, AA
Originally Posted by chowder
OT: US or UA ticketing? Given the choice, would you internationally fly US coach or UA E+, if price were the same, with DM accrual? Pros/Cons?
UA E+ hands down! You still get bonus miles, you get more legroom. What more can you ask for? That is assuming that you are not upgrading to envoy somehow.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 4:13 pm

sdlevi27 ,

Looks like you got your question answered... Welcome to FlyerTalk!!!

-Chris
Old Nov 12, 2005, 3:51 am

Programs: US-CP
hmm. You know, I'd confirm "unavailable" E+ with online seat maps before taking the UA reps' word for it. I don't want to turn the thread into an outsourced center vent-o-rama, but sometimes the answers you get - particularly regarding seat availability - on calls to them are outright incorrect.

If there are E+ seats still for sale online, I'd recommend calling again if you really want one. If not, SS255's suggestion to check again at the UA elites' upgrade windows is a good one.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:12 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Upgraded a February trip by phone to E+ yesterday with no problems. Trip originally booked on United.com with US DM number. Myself (SP) and wife. Quick phone call: done in 2 minutes.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
keep calling til you get someone who knows something

[QUOTE=Karen_123987]hmm. You know, I'd confirm "unavailable" E+ with online seat maps before taking the UA reps' word for it. I don't want to turn the thread into an outsourced center vent-o-rama, but sometimes the answers you get - particularly regarding seat availability - on calls to them are outright incorrect. [QUOTE]

I have had many problems with the UA Indian call center. Most of the operators are clueless. They read scripted responses that usually have nothing to do with what you just asked them. It's almost like talking to a machine.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
If I'm flying on United to Asia - any way for a US CP to upgrade to envoy? Why can't US have flights across the pacific?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by chowder
All my international flights on UA this year were to South America on UA tickets, so UA was the only choice between the two. As for European trips, my home base is PHL so US would make sense to me since I have a better getting a direct flight. And I have not once found UA to have a better price to Europe coming out of PHL. So in that case, I would pick US coach over UA E+.
As for A/C, E+ seats on UA 767-300 ER are much better than US 767-200. But it is a tough choice between UA 767-300 ER E+ and US Airbus A330-300 coach because I really like Airbus On-Demand IFE.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Nov 14, 2005 at 11:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.