Wiki Posts
Search

Standby only available for earlier flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP
Standby only available for earlier flight

I was talking to the CP desk today, and she advised me that now, on certain fares, standby is only allowed on an earlier flight, not on a later flight. She said this was the second change since early October, and now she has to look up the fare before providing availability info. I looked up the fare I was on, and sure enough:

NOTE - STANDBY - STANDBY PERMITTED FOR EARLIER APPLICABLE FLIGHT ON SAME DAY AS TICKETED FOR 25.00 USD NONREFUNDABLE FEE. ALL FARE RULES OF TICKETED FARE MUST BE MET. AFTER EACH TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE STANDBY IS NOT PERMITTED

Whether the airport enforces this or not is a "holnother" story.

Last edited by la2clt; Oct 26, 2005 at 8:39 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1k, Qantas, Delta, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
What a weird rule. I haven't seen that before. I really don't understand how it helps either the airline or its customers to make the rules even more complex and capricious. What's next...? Standby permitted only on odd numbered flights to destinations beginning with vowels?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:28 am

Location: Tampa, FL , USA~ US-CP & Lifetime Club, DL-PM, CO-PE, UA-PE, AA-PLT, HH-G
Originally Posted by hoobly
What a weird rule. I haven't seen that before. I really don't understand how it helps either the airline or its customers to make the rules even more complex and capricious. What's next...? Standby permitted only on odd numbered flights to destinations beginning with vowels?
How I love the sarcasim!
Good Job! ^
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
It's funny, I wish they would specify that after ticketed departure TIME standby not permitted...

I'm at least temporarily putting my miles on United, and might make that permanent. I'd probably put them in with American if their connections weren't so inconvenient for me at the moment.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by hoobly
Apparently, you can also ONLY standby for flights within a four hour window of your original flight. ...? Why does that matter--they'd rather have me taking up space on the crowded, overbooked 3pm flight out this Friday rather than the empty 8am one I'm going to end up catching?

So, to summarize the changes implemented by our "new and improved airline":

1. No more power ports
2. A new tier of preferred (good for those who get it, bad for those who would have been "tied" as GPs with the new PPs)
3. Harder to get CP on segments
4. $25 to fly standby, but you can confirm (theoretically, I haven't had this happen yet)
5. Can't standby later than original flight on some fare codes
6. Can't standby outside a four hour window of your original flight
7. No more JIM BEAM
8. No more pets
9. Have to pay for the little kiddies
10. Flight banks coming back to PHL
11. Leaving PHL in existence
12. No rollover of status miles
13. Yanking 737's out of ILM and other cities

Feel free to add on
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by la2clt
I was talking to the CP desk today, and she advised me that now, on certain fares, standby is only allowed on an earlier flight, not on a later flight. She said this was the second change since early October, and now she has to look up the fare before providing availability info. I looked up the fare I was on, and sure enough:

NOTE - STANDBY - STANDBY PERMITTED FOR EARLIER APPLICABLE FLIGHT ON SAME DAY AS TICKETED FOR 25.00 USD NONREFUNDABLE FEE. ALL FARE RULES OF TICKETED FARE MUST BE MET. AFTER EACH TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE STANDBY IS NOT PERMITTED

Whether the airport enforces this or not is a "holnother" story.
That rule, as written means:

1. Standing by for an earlier flight costs $25.
2. Standby on a day after the flight is not permitted.

It doesn't say anything about standing by for a later flight on the same day.
So even though US policy is now that you can't stand by for a later same-day flight, the clods there didn't write the rule to state that. (Basically, since the people who drafted that didn't write it to mean what they wanted it to, I would still try to stand by for a later same-day flight.)

Brilliant move, US. Another reason I won't fly you anymore.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I believe this rule was changed again late last week to allow standby for $25 anytime on day of departure.

There is a thread about it on the HP forum.

Jennifer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.