Search

oneworld Emerald Priority Seat Booking [on US]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
oneworld Emerald Priority Seat Booking [on US]

Hi everyone.

I was booking first class tickets from SFO to PHX and when it came to choose the seats, first row was unavailable although I had put in my BA EC number ahead of the seat booking step. I am a BA Gold/OW Emerald, don't Emerald members get to choose first row on OW member airlines while booking?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:53 am

I don't think that AA reserve front row seats for elites in the same way that BA do - certainly not IME on domestics anyway
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:13 am

Maybe they are already taken? Blocked?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I find bulkheads on AA to have restricted legroom, I would recommend avoiding them. IME bulkhead window seats tend to be the last to go on domestic AA flights. As AyeCaramba points out, these are not considered coveted seats so generally there isn't a clamour to get them.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA does not consider Row 1 to be a preferred / priority seat and it isn't. Row 1 is often blocked for gate use for disabled and others. Not sure why OP wants the seats, but he could certainly call AA and ask them to unblock a seat. Whether AA does that for him won't have anything to do with status.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

I am not particularly fussed about those front seats, however they are blocked, not taken. I just wanted to know what the deal is.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Is it a US flight? Blocking row 1 seems to be standard for US.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57
Is it a US flight? Blocking row 1 seems to be standard for US.
Yes, it is a US flight. I wonder why they would block first row as a standard.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread moved to proper forum.

/Moderator
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:04 pm

Hi there,

I have a question which is somewhat linked but OWS not OWE.

A member of US Airways staff telephone reservations staff just shouted at me on the phone and told me I couldn't reserve a seat on a US Airways flights despite my OWS status (with BAEC).

Both my flights are in economy. I simply wanted a Preferred seat on a domestic flight, which I can usually have no problem with US Airways. Not an exit row, just a normal seat which I've reserved and sat in before between BOS-PHL.

I also wanted to grab an exit row seat on an international seat from PHL-GLA. I'm not sure so sure about entitlement to this as I'm OWS and not OWE. She full on shouted at me and said that I'm not Platinum or Executive Platinum so I can't have the seats. I even directed her to my OWS which she said that she could see but would not move my seats.

It should be note that both seats that I wanted are showing on the US Airways website as available, the lady confirmed that was the case but that she wouldn't be moving me to either of them.

Whats the case with US Airways exit row seats in Y on international flights (e.g. PHL-GLA)? Can a OWS access an exit row seat or is it just for OWE? I couldn't find much guidance on the US Airways website as it just kept forwarding me to MCE seating guidelines on the AA website.

Simon.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Soly
Yes, it is a US flight. I wonder why they would block first row as a standard.
It's usually done to accommodate passengers needing physical assistance. For planes with first class, they'll usually hold back on assigning row 1, but it will fill up as other seats are taken, with 1A being usually assigned to the last passenger to get into F. You may be able to get them to move you in advance by calling in, and you're likely to be able to via either web checkin within 24 hours of departure or at the airport assuming the seat you want remains available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.