Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US transcons to west coast after 8pm - meal in F?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
US transcons to west coast after 8pm - meal in F?

US 419 (PHL-LAS) departs 8:35pm daily (US metal).

AA/US "in the air" section on their sites state no full meal in F for flights departing after 8:00pm local time.

However, in the reservation detail for the flight booked in F, the flight status says "Meal: Dinner."

The two seem to be contradictory - does anyone have recent experience from flying west on a similar US transcon after 8pm whether a full meal was served or not? Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this applies to US, I'll move to the US forum.

I think we may have a thread on this subject...if someone can find it, please send me the link.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
There's generally an exception period for true transcon. Perhaps LAS also falls into this bucket.

The 8:30p PHL SFO gets food, as does the 8:30p PHL LAX.

The 10:10p CLT SFO does not get food.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Last time I flew a post 8:00 transcon (BWI-PHX), they provided snacks but no meal.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Last time I flew a post 8:00 transcon (BWI-PHX), they provided snacks but no meal.
At 1,999 miles, I don't think AA/US considers that flight to be transcon.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I have taken that PHL-LAS flight before and it does receive a meal in F. Granted, this was approximately 8 months ago, so I cannot guarantee it is still there, but at least you have one more piece of information when making your decision.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than trying to parse whether a given flight is a TCON, why not ask US the direct question about the specific flight.

The US practice has always been to add meal service to specific flights in highly competitive markets. Thus, maybe a surprise.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Rather than trying to parse whether a given flight is a TCON, why not ask US the direct question about the specific flight.

The US practice has always been to add meal service to specific flights in highly competitive markets. Thus, maybe a surprise.
Unfortunately, US will most probably just repeat back to you what is on the website, which is not always correct. As an anecdotal example, a few years ago I flew PHL-AUS. The website said that there was no meal (in both directions). I asked US directly about this (both over the phone and through their web portal), they said there was no meal.

Thankfully, through FlyerTalk, I learned that there was a meal. And indeed, once I took both flights, there were meals on both. Hence, it has shown me that asking US this is kind of pointless as they just tell you what their screen says, which may be wrong. The best way to find out is to use a site like FlyerTalk to find someone with experience on the route to give you a definitive answer.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by 76toPHL

AA/US "in the air" section on their sites state no full meal in F for flights departing after 8:00pm local time.

However, in the reservation detail for the flight booked in F, the flight status says "Meal: Dinner."

The two seem to be contradictory - does anyone have recent experience from flying west on a similar US transcon after 8pm whether a full meal was served or not? Thanks!
This is for US METAL only:

After 8pm, you'll have a meal on all flights from the hubs (PHL/CLT) to west coast cities, including DEN, PHX, and LAS. You will not, however, get meal service on flights from spokes to the PHX hub, such as BOS, DTW, ORD, or BWI. At certain times of the year, DCA-LAS operates with a 9:00pm westbound departure. This flight does not get a meal service, either. There used to be several late night departures to the former HP hub in LAS, which is part of where this policy came from.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 76toPHL

There is dinner served on this flight. Verified on 08May2015.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
This is for US METAL only:

You will not, however, get meal service on flights from spokes to the PHX hub, such as BOS, DTW, ORD, or BWI.
I know you did not intend to include ORD in a list of "spokes". Non-sticker UGs on ORD-PHX for Plats on pmUS metal have been rather enjoyable. I will be sad when they are gone. I am 4/4 this year on that route.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Confirmed - they did serve a meal on the 8:35pm PHL-LAS flight in F.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I know you did not intend to include ORD in a list of "spokes". Non-sticker UGs on ORD-PHX for Plats on pmUS metal have been rather enjoyable. I will be sad when they are gone. I am 4/4 this year on that route.
I meant in reference to the US network. ORD is an AA hub, but regardless, does not get a meal to PHX if the flight is after 8pm.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Unfortunately, US will most probably just repeat back to you what is on the website, which is not always correct. As an anecdotal example, a few years ago I flew PHL-AUS. The website said that there was no meal (in both directions). I asked US directly about this (both over the phone and through their web portal), they said there was no meal.

Thankfully, through FlyerTalk, I learned that there was a meal. And indeed, once I took both flights, there were meals on both. Hence, it has shown me that asking US this is kind of pointless as they just tell you what their screen says, which may be wrong. The best way to find out is to use a site like FlyerTalk to find someone with experience on the route to give you a definitive answer.
The agents generally have access to the same information that we do on-line. Unlike those of us who discuss these things for years on FT, most agents simply give the information that their computer tells them (which makes complete sense to me).

If you have concerns, then contact Customer Service. Those agents are empowered to find answers to questions and can contact the meal services group to get clarification on this issue.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Update as of 8/9

Last night, US metal - ATL-PHX-SEA itinerary, 8:55PM departure - on time - scheduled for 3:18 from wheels up.

ATL-PHX
- F received PDB, second drink pass after takeoff, immediately followed by warm nuts (very good), then second pass offering a refill on the nuts (still warm). Then, approximately 15-30 mins later, offered option of meal plate or cheese plate, I opted for the cheese (pepperjack, mozzarella, and one additional - thought it was blue cheese, red/green grapes, crackers - perhaps others can verify). Saw that the meal plate includes prosciutto, and two additional meats. Multiple drink passes until flight route deviation due to a significant light show (West Texas/New Mexico) - smoothed out until arrival which coincided with a t-storm over the field. Significant bumps/tossing, got to about 3,000 ft until go-around, did about 30-45 mins tour of PHX, before second try without incident.

PHX-SEA
- PDB > warm nuts/chocolate chip cookie. Flight time 2:15+, fairly smooth (fell asleep soon after takeoff).

Pleasant surprise with the offering, as I was kicking myself for not arriving at ATL early enough for a pre-flight meal to last me until 1:30AM PST arrival in the Emerald City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.