Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delays due to JFK runway construction: able to change to LGA/EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Delays due to JFK runway construction: able to change to LGA/EWR?

I read in the New York Times that JFK runways are under construction this summer, and in case of winds or other bad weather, JFK will be down to 1 runway, resulting in potentially huge delays.

I have a ticket for a flight to JFK this Sunday, with rain expected. Great.

How hard will it be to switch to a flight to LGA or EWR? I will ask at the US Airways/Admirals Club at CLT.

Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
On the pmAA side of things, I've found them to be pretty flexible during IRROPS (particularly for elites and/or in the club). Know what you want, ask for it, you may get it.

However, if rain and low visibility occur, LGA and EWR will probably back up as well. Not as bad as JFK with the runway issue, but LGA turned into a pit of despair pretty easily whenever a cloud floats by.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I don't know of any airline that lets someone change their ticket because of a perceived possible delay in the future. But good luck trying anyway!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
ty97, thanks. Turns out that skies were clear today, but this will surely happen again, so I appreciate the advice!

Fanjet, thanks; to clarify, I would have asked to change only if I were at the airport and the JFK flight was delayed at that time.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Glad to see that you didn't have any problems.

IIRC The runway construction started back in mid March. I'm not sure how often they actually needed to go down to the single runway. I've been lucky and haven't had any of my JFK flights affected.

This past winter, during IRROPS, I've had no problems changing inbounds from JFK to EWR or LGA. In all cases this had been after my original flight had been significantly delayed or cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.