Wiki Posts
Search

most create explanation for bad service I have seen

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
most create explanation for bad service I have seen

Recently I booked a last minute ticked on USAir.com, USAir metal. Got an exit row seat.

Sweet!

I get to the airport. "Sorry that you don't have a seat assignment. Go to the gate and they should be able to get you on the flight".

What? I show them my email confirmation showing the confirmed seat! Answer is - nothing we can do.

I send a complaint to AA.

Get this response:

I'm sorry that it became necessary to change your reserved seat assignment on your flight and I can understand your disappointment. Our records indicate that your seat was reassigned in accordance with routine security procedures. This activity is standard on occasion. However, in an effort to maintain the integrity of the inflight security process, we cannot provide more specific information.

Is this the most creative excuse ever?

Oh - and neither USAir on the flight, nor AA offered anything in compensation (drink, miles, nada)
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by rsercely
Is this the most creative excuse ever?
Sounds like FAM (federal air marshal) needed your seat. Happens all the time. Sucks when it happens but no compensation is due.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yup, likely a FAM. But you didn't pay for the upgraded seat selection, so you're not really due any compensation. Just bum luck.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by rsercely
Oh - and neither USAir on the flight, nor AA offered anything in compensation (drink, miles, nada)
The only time I've ever seen a free drink or two for a seat change was when a passenger did it on-board "voluntarily" to help the FAs get a family together.

I've never seen or heard of any other compensation for seat changes (except true class downgrades).
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do FAMs actually sit in exit row seats? Don't they generally prefer to be "up front"?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Do FAMs actually sit in exit row seats? Don't they generally prefer to be "up front"?
They could be sitting anywhere, especially if there are multiple on the flight. Based on the reasoning from AA, there's almost 100% chance it was a FAM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Only thing you are entitled to is if you paid extra for the exit row seat. Next time bring a docto's note saying you have to have the exit row.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
They could be sitting anywhere, especially if there are multiple on the flight. Based on the reasoning from AA, there's almost 100% chance it was a FAM.
And here I was thinking their sole job on the plane was to evict paying F customers Wow. So they do actually ride in coach from time to time!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by duniawala
Only thing you are entitled to is if you paid extra for the exit row seat. Next time bring a docto's note saying you have to have the exit row.
I've never heard of that working, what kind if medical issue would require the exit row but would not be disqualifying for the exit row?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doctors don't assign seats. Would just make OP look foolish.

The language suggests a FAM. All that is due is a refund of any seat fee which OP paid. There is no compensation in any event, even if OP was moved for the carrier's convenience. A CS gesture of some minor something might be forthcoming if other than FAM. But, the reassignment has nothing to do with the carrier, so no reason for them to comp OP anything.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
The way I read OP's post, it's not clear if he / she even got on the flight. If not, surely that's entitled to compensation?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:48 am

Only thing you are entitled to is if you paid extra for the exit row seat. Next time bring a doctor's note saying you have to have the exit row.
Actually isn't having a doctor's note 100% the way not to sit in an exit row - anyone with a medical condition that might interfere with the safety of an potential evacuation is prohibited by the FAA from sitting in an exit row (as well as anyone under 16).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
And here I was thinking their sole job on the plane was to evict paying F customers Wow. So they do actually ride in coach from time to time!
I think it is better for FAMs to sit in middle seat coach, so they can be more disgruntled and be more aggressive when someone is up to no good.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little bird told me that there is more than one FAM per team.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A little bird told me that there is more than one FAM per team.
Yeah, I can't imagine there's only one per team. All it would take would be Bad Guy 1 creates a situation, and Bad Guy 2 starts the real stuff while the sole FAM is dealing with Bad Guy 1. Recipe for disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.