US 622 PHX-JFK 6/13 comments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
US 622 PHX-JFK 6/13 comments

I'm EXP from flying AA--so USAIR is new to me.
The flt. left on time and landed 30 minutes early, super efficient FA in FC (but NO pre-departure drinks).
My upgrade cleared at T-105.^ [For most (pure) AA flts, I've been lucky to clear EVEN at T-24.]
Shortly before boarding started, they announced they had one FC (upgrade) for sale for $269. The plane departed with 1A empty.
I was sitting in 2F, and heard the following conversation between the FC FA and the GA:
FA: There is a NON-REV on board, couldn't he be upgraded
GA: I'm NOT allowed to do that, but if YOU (FA) want to, you can. [The seat was empty for the entire flt.]

Further note: I flew LAS-PHX-JFK, I noticed one or two SPIRIT airline pilots on board; they approached the podium in LAS, showed their IDs and were handed bps; is there any direct link between SPIRIT and AA/USAIR?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by nrr
Further note: I flew LAS-PHX-JFK, I noticed one or two SPIRIT airline pilots on board; they approached the podium in LAS, showed their IDs and were handed bps; is there any direct link between SPIRIT and AA/USAIR?
Most airlines have reciprocal non-rev agreements with most other airlines. The "Other Airline" (OA) employees board last, after the airline's own employees, pass travelers, etc. I am not sure what you mean by "direct link" but this is a common arrangement between airlines.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:16 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Most airlines have reciprocal non-rev agreements with most other airlines. The "Other Airline" (OA) employees board last, after the airline's own employees, pass travelers, etc. I am not sure what you mean by "direct link" but this is a common arrangement between airlines.
I wasn't aware of the reciprocal arrangement.
I know that AA/USAIR is now ONE entity; Spirit is NOT in the ONE WORLD alliance = "direct link".
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
As mentioned above, it has nothing to do with alliance or ownership. When WN used to fly PHL-PIT there was a large number of US employees commuting. I remember at least one occasion the WN FA calling it the US employee shuttle.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by nrr
I wasn't aware of the reciprocal arrangement.
I know that AA/USAIR is now ONE entity; Spirit is NOT in the ONE WORLD alliance = "direct link".
Correct-- Spirit is not in OneWorld, nor any alliance. There is no business relationship between AA and Spirit. I don't think they even interline. Nevertheless, they do allow each others' crew to fly standby, after all of their own non-revs have been accommodated.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by nrr
The flt. left on time and landed 30 minutes early
How long was it blocked for? In my experience it has always been pmUS protocol to build a lot of slack into their schedule. That way they can take forever on the ground and still be on time.

Agree that US service and crew are generally great.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:39 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by arlflyer
How long was it blocked for? In my experience it has always been pmUS protocol to build a lot of slack into their schedule. That way they can take forever on the ground and still be on time.
This is exactly what US did over the years to overcome the "delayed flight" reviews and DOT negative stats. And I'm fine with that. If I book a flight that says it should arrive at 5:15pm, and it arrives within a reasonable time frame of that scheduled time, that's ok with me.

They publish their gate departure/arrival times based on all sorts of factors and if these include anticipated ground delays and they happen to arrive 30 minutes early, then all the better. We were at least given the anticipated schedule before purchasing the ticket so we knew what it could have been under "normal" circumstances with air traffic.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by PHL
This is exactly what US did over the years to overcome the "delayed flight" reviews and DOT negative stats. And I'm fine with that. If I book a flight that says it should arrive at 5:15pm, and it arrives within a reasonable time frame of that scheduled time, that's ok with me.

They publish their gate departure/arrival times based on all sorts of factors and if these include anticipated ground delays and they happen to arrive 30 minutes early, then all the better. We were at least given the anticipated schedule before purchasing the ticket so we knew what it could have been under "normal" circumstances with air traffic.
I completely agree. It made/makes schedule planning much easier. And takes the guesswork out of connections most of the time. When I book one of those scary-looking <60 minute E connections in CLT or F connections in PHL I know that, in all likelihood, I'm going to be there in time to hang out in the lounge and take my time, and that it will only even approach the listed connection time in the event of IRROPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.