Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free checked bag on US Airways with AA credit card?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Free checked bag on US Airways with AA credit card?

Hey everyone! So I have both AA's and US Airways' entry-level credit cards, both of which offer a free checked bag. However, I booked a flight on the AA website using my AA card, but the flight is operated by US Airways. Does this mean that I won't get my checked bag for free since I didn't use my US Airways card? Or does the AA card cover US Airways as well?

Thanks!
Old May 19, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
FIRST CHECKED BAG FREE:
For benefit to apply, the Citi®/ AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on domestic itineraries marketed by either American Airlines or US Airways, and operated by either American Airlines or US Airways, or on flights marketed by either American Airlines or US Airways, and operated as American Eagle® flights by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Trans States Airlines, LLC, or as US Airways Express SM flights by Mesa Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Trans States Airlines, LLC., PSA Airlines, Piedmont Airlines, or Air Wisconsin Airline Corp.. This benefit will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines or US Airways flight number but operated by another airline. For the Citi® / AAdvantage® card, up to four (4) customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. Waiver does not apply to overweight or oversized bags. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see AA.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Cra1g
Hey everyone! So I have both AA's and US Airways' entry-level credit cards, both of which offer a free checked bag. However, I booked a flight on the AA website using my AA card, but the flight is operated by US Airways. Does this mean that I won't get my checked bag for free since I didn't use my US Airways card? Or does the AA card cover US Airways as well?

Thanks!
Both cards will cover you on both airlines. Makes no difference what card you used to purchase the flight.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
Both cards will cover you on both airlines. Makes no difference what card you used to purchase the flight.
Ok, that's what I figured, but wanted to absolutely make sure. This wasn't the case when I flew in September. I booked on AA's website with my AA credit card, but the return flight was on US Airways and I had to pay for my checked bag, even though I showed them my AA credit card..
Old May 20, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Technically, having either card with a linked AAdvantage account applies the free bag benefit to that travel profile. In other words, any reservation you make using that AAdvantage number (regardless if you use the AA or USAir credit card or not) will get the free checked bag. I know because I have gotten the free bag on a company-paid reservation using my FF number.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
any reservation you make using that AAdvantage number (regardless if you use the AA or USAir credit card or not) will get the free checked bag.
Really? So just being an AAdvantage member will get you a free checked bag? I thought you had to have the credit card. Like I mentioned above, I flew in September and booked it on AA's website with my AA credit card entering in my AAdvantage number, but the return flight was on US Airways and I had to pay for my checked bag, even though I showed them my AA credit card..
Old May 20, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cra1g
Really? So just being an AAdvantage member will get you a free checked bag? I thought you had to have the credit card. Like I mentioned above, I flew in September and booked it on AA's website with my AA credit card entering in my AAdvantage number, but the return flight was on US Airways and I had to pay for my checked bag, even though I showed them my AA credit card..
No. If you have a Barclay U.S. Airways (now Aviator) and/or City AAdvantage credit card, you'll get a free checked bag on both airlines. The free bag benefit is linked to your AAdvantage account number. So as long as your credit card is open and in good standing, you'll get a free checked bag as long as you book using your AA account number, regardless of which credit card you use to pay the airfare. As soon as you close your credit card, you'll no longer get a free checked bag.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:20 pm
formerly mattrendell27

how about if I used BA Avios to book a short haul domestic award that is operated by US Airways. I have both Barclay Red Aviator and Citi AAdvantage cards. However, of course I wasn't able to enter my AAdvantage number when I booked the reservation since it was through BA's website. Any way to still get the free checked bag when I check into my US Airways flight?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
how about if I used BA Avios to book a short haul domestic award that is operated by US Airways. I have both Barclay Red Aviator and Citi AAdvantage cards. However, of course I wasn't able to enter my AAdvantage number when I booked the reservation since it was through BA's website. Any way to still get the free checked bag when I check into my US Airways flight?
If you search in the AA/US forums, there have been a few threads on the topic. I know it's possible to change your FF# number on a BA-made AA award reservation and use those benefits, but I am not certain about US.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
No. If you have a Barclay U.S. Airways (now Aviator) and/or City AAdvantage credit card, you'll get a free checked bag on both airlines. The free bag benefit is linked to your AAdvantage account number. So as long as your credit card is open and in good standing, you'll get a free checked bag as long as you book using your AA account number, regardless of which credit card you use to pay the airfare. As soon as you close your credit card, you'll no longer get a free checked bag.
This.

I flew in March before the merge. When flying/transfering to AA, the free baggage did not automatically apply because I used my US Airway CC and Divdent Miles Account number. When I returned, I requested a refund for the baggage amount(very simple process). The refund was approved and proceed in less than 3 days.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Yes, but you must change the FF number on your reservation to AA. You can do this on the Royal Jordanian website - there are detailed instructions on how to do that somewhere in these blogs if you google it. Once the AA FF # is there you don't need to have the card on you - the free bag is automatic. And you can also buy the ticket with any card as well. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do yet is cancel an Avios award ticket after this process - the AA site says it can't be done online and the BA site doesn't show the ticket any longer at all.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to AA forum because discussion pertains to a benefit administered by the airline, not by the credit card issuer.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by ryanmcv
Not with the blue Aviator card.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Not with the blue Aviator card.
Correct, only the Red and Silver Aviator cards receive a free checked bag. Red card gets free checked bags for up to 4 companions on the same reservation, while Silver allows 8 companions.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/aviator
https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/blue
https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/red
https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.