Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Thumbs down A benefit eliminated without any warning... [friend nomination]

One benefit at US was as follows (from an email to me dated 12-11-2014):

"You’ve already earned these benefits:
• Nominate a friend to Trial Silver Preferred for 90 days"

So I call today, and am told "They say that benefit no longer applies." They being folks who I can't speak with, of course.

I planned to nominate someone who could use the "status" to get better seats on a multi-segment trip in a couple of months, so it would have had real value to him.

Anyone have any better info on this program, or did the fine folks at AA/US just screw me?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
There probably wasn't a proactive messaging campaign around it to specific members, but nearly all of the merger information indicated that Special Dividends were discontinued as of 12/31/14.

Edit: found this info that may apply. You apparently have the expiration date to redeem. I'm not sure exactly what your expiration date for that specific benefit was or is, but if it still valid you should be able to redeem it.

https://membership.usairways.com/en-US/FAQs/merger_loyaltyandbenefits.html#54

Last edited by sosfo; Apr 24, 2015 at 2:57 pm Reason: link
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How can the benefit still exist?

I don't see how Silver status in USDM can be given to someone given that the USDM scheme no longer exists.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: WFBF
pmUS discontinued new trials months ago, in order to be sure all trials would complete prior to the program merge. It was also advertised that all Special Dividends benefits would be expiring early in 2015 across the board and the info all pushed to redeem things ASAP; they even bumped the trial nomination up to just gifting a year of status outright to make up for the fact that people could no longer begin trials. And all of that was discussed in multiple threads here on FT, too.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 25, 2015 at 6:38 am Reason: Unwelcoming
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
you had to nominate on or before 2/28/15
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nominating someone for DM status is useless. There is no more DM.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: US Chairman's ––> AA Executive Platinum BIS 1.1MM
Originally Posted by PhillyFive
One benefit at US was as follows (from an email to me dated 12-11-2014):

"You’ve already earned these benefits:
• Nominate a friend to Trial Silver Preferred for 90 days"

So I call today, and am told "They say that benefit no longer applies." They being folks who I can't speak with, of course.
Even in previous years, this nomination would have expired at the end of February. "They" didn't eliminate your benefit; it just expired at the usual time.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat / OW Sapphire / Hyatt Diamond / Hilton Diamond
I had one of these that I was saving up for my wife closer to upcoming travel. I ended up nominating her before it expired in Feb and she was moved over to AA Gold and it looks like it won't expire like the old US DM program did - she looks to be Gold through the program year (into Feb of 2016). So it looks like while they took this benefit away, it got slightly better just before it died.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MikeMilzz
I had one of these that I was saving up for my wife closer to upcoming travel. I ended up nominating her before it expired in Feb and she was moved over to AA Gold and it looks like it won't expire like the old US DM program did - she looks to be Gold through the program year (into Feb of 2016). So it looks like while they took this benefit away, it got slightly better just before it died.
Yes, when the Trial program went away the Special Dividend changed to a full Silver nomination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.