Search

US Flight Attendant training of elite status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Like this ever matters! Haha. I haven't been on a flight in months where the Priority Bags were always out first. It's a random crapshoot. Why they advertise this as a benefit is beyond me.
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I rarely check bags but have found that when I do they tend to come out pretty quickly. Checked golf clubs and a bag MIA-SJU and return last week and they came out fast on both ends, I was watching. And the bags that came out first on both ends all had Priority tags on them (I was watching that too). Even the clubs came out fast and on the regular belt at MIA, not in the oversize area, which was right next to claim area 22. I suppose YMMV but I've had decent success.
Yep, same here. My bags are among the first to come out better than 90% of the time. It even worked in PVG, and there I had to run to the AA counter at SEA since my first leg was with AS to LAX and they don't have priority tags, grabbed two orange tags after explaining the situation, and showed the AS agent how to affix them to the tag. My bags were 3rd and 4th off the belt in PVG, among other priority tagged bags.

(And yes, I know priority tagging is tied into the barcode itself, but I figured a lot of handlers just look for the visual cue anyway.)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:32 am

Priority baggage depends most on the airport, I've found. If you are in a good airport (think Asia, I guess excluding China) priority bags seem to come out first.
Have you seen that article stating KIX hasn't lost a bag in decades?
Old May 31, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EP; UA 2P; Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
<<priority tags>>

I'm sure there are many threads on this but my experience (home base is PHL) is that in almost all cases my bags come out much faster without the tags.

Sometimes I'll see a group of tagged bags come out last (mine included) which somehow does not seem like a random event.

I recently saw a group come out first at MCO but in my limited experience that was the exception at that airport.

I'm also amazed that it is listed in print as a perk for elite status. I cannot believe they are not aware of the messages in the forums.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I've had success with the priority tags on US but it's hit or miss on AA. The worst experience was in ORD when not only did my bag come out last (55 minutes after arrival), but it came out on a completely different carousel than what was announced or displayed.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Just a little fun story about priority tags. I flew to MCO on US once and had two bags checked and priority tagged. One bag was the very first out of the belt, the other was dead last. Amazing how they could get it so right and so wrong at the same time.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I got a question about the CP/EXP snack/drink in Y, does this only apply to US/AA members or also to other OWE? I was downgraded due to missed connection and even the FA checked, they had "no record" of me being OWE (my boarding pass actually said I am) and then refused snack/drink unless I pay.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I got a question about the CP/EXP snack/drink in Y, does this only apply to US/AA members or also to other OWE? I was downgraded due to missed connection and even the FA checked, they had "no record" of me being OWE (my boarding pass actually said I am) and then refused snack/drink unless I pay.
The free snack and beverage is for Executive Platinums and Concierge Keys only. It does not apply to the elites of other airlines within OW.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
The free snack and beverage is for Executive Platinums and Concierge Keys only. It does not apply to the elites of other airlines within OW.
True and agree, but there have been reports that Emeralds are listed on the handhelds (presumably as EXP) and have been offered the benefit. It's worth asking, but don't expect it.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
With the FF program fully integrated why haven't these FAs been trained with the AA merged elite levels? Every time I've flown Y on US its an argument getting the drink/snack.
Just a little update on where things are, and just how far US still has to go.

This week I was sitting in the front part of Y on a US flight (undisclosed to protect the guilty). Y beverage service started in the back, and proceeded slowly. The FA in F, after serving the F pax, came back and served drinks to the first few rows of Y. She did not acknowledge anyone's elite status, or offer anything other than Y comp beverages. I was ok with this because at that moment I didn't want anything that wasn't on the comp list.

After a while the Y FA appeared from the back. She stopped at the row behind me and had a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the pax, who was EXP. I didn't catch the very beginning of the conversation, but during the part I did catch the FA was explaining to the EXP that she is a trainer for US, and she makes sure she instructs FAs to know who the EXPs are on board, and acknowledge them.

The FA then discussed the EXP drink/snack benefit, listing off the alcoholic beverages and specific snacks available to EXPs in Y, and made a point to say that she teaches FAs to automatically offer it. Her words: "Executive Platinum passengers should never have to ask for the benefit - it should be offered to them."

The FA then moved up to my row. She asked me if I wanted a beverage refill, to which I replied in the affirmative, and then I said, "...and I'd like to get the Pringles snack as well."

You know what's coming next, because I sure saw it coming Her response was, "That will be $4 please."

I said to her, "I'm Executive Platinum...and I just heard you say that I shouldn't have to ask for the benefit."

The look of shock on her face was priceless The EXP sitting behind me burst out in laughter.

It all ended with smiles, and I did get my can of Pringles, but the whole thing showed me that while the knowledge of the benefit is slowly filtering into the US heirarchy, there's still a long way to go in execution and delivery even when an individual FA knows about the benefit.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
True and agree, but there have been reports that Emeralds are listed on the handhelds (presumably as EXP) and have been offered the benefit. It's worth asking, but don't expect it.
This is purely because the US Airways system when it prints the FA paperwork doesn't distinguish between EXP and Emerald. Once the reservations systems merge in a few months, this will go away and the FAs will see who is EXP versus just Emerald.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BSBD
...I said to her, "I'm Executive Platinum...and I just heard you say that I shouldn't have to ask for the benefit."...
I wish this were the case. Just this past Wednesday, I was sitting in the coach bulkhead having not been upgraded. I asked for the fruit and nut mix. She started to charge me and I said "I am Executive Platinum." She replied "Oh...yeah you all want your free snack ... yes ... seat 5C ... OK." It kinda made me feel like I was begging not to have to pay. But the fact is, I have paid many many dollars to get to this point!.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: US, HH
On my most recent US flight, just after the door closed, the FA walked up to me with a greeting and thanked me for my business, manifest in hand. The other FA, when I asked for a snack later, said "Oh yes, you're the emerald!" I thought that was pretty funny, apparently I was the only EXP in Y.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
it seems to be hit or miss for me. i'm exp and on some flights, the flight attendant will come and greet me by name and offer me a snack and a drink. On some, I have to ask for it. I make it a little game on my travels to see which flights I get welcomed by name.

I did a trip with my family on May 23 from RDU to LGA. We all got upgraded to first. while I didnt get greeted by name, the FA gave me and my whole family the snacks they charge in economy (pringles, hummus, m&m's galore).
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nanaflyer
We all got upgraded to first. while I didnt get greeted by name, the FA gave me and my whole family the snacks they charge in economy (pringles, hummus, m&m's galore).
Yeah, I've always been treated well in F on US. The difference between pmAA and pmUS is in Y - when I've flown in Y on AA, I've nearly always been acknowledged as EXP, and treated accordingly. On US, it's nearly always the opposite - I get the same polite indifference that everyone in Y gets.

I guess the curtain truly is a dividing line on US
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
On a recent LAX-DEN flight was in the bulkhead and asked for an EXP snack. Was told I'd have to pay and so declined. Just let it go, was tired and didn't feel like arguing.

On the return the next day was upgraded and sat in last row of F. Person in the bulkhead behind me asked about the EXP comp and was given an adult drink and snack, no questions asked.

A few minutes later the gentleman in the row ahead of me in F asked if he could get a package of M&Ms from the cart. He was told since there was snack basket service he could have the M&Ms, but he'd have to pay. He declined.

On the outbound flight the FA was clearly incorrect. Not sure who was correct on the return. Should the gentleman in F been comped the M&Ms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.