Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should we open AAdvantage accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Should we open AAdvantage accounts

Dividend Miles Silver member here. Just recently got the 50k US Air barclay card. No real plans of getting an AA card. Is there any benefit to opening an AAdvantage account and link it to my DM account before it's done for me automatically?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
None. Unless if you need it (because of a program that credits there but not crediting to US or a card tied to it or something along these lines), no need to open an account.

I've never had one; not planning to have one until the day my US DM one converts.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abcdefghijason
Dividend Miles Silver member here. Just recently got the 50k US Air barclay card. No real plans of getting an AA card. Is there any benefit to opening an AAdvantage account and link it to my DM account before it's done for me automatically?
I created AAdvantage accounts just recently for family members that only have DM accounts. Reason? I like to control and know my FF # and didn't want to be assigned one.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
If you're planning on flying on AS or EY anytime soon that would be reason enough to get an account as miles on those airlines can only be credited to AA, not US.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chris4096
If you're planning on flying on AS or EY anytime soon that would be reason enough to get an account as miles on those airlines can only be credited to AA, not US.
That's a reason. The OP might want to make a thorough scan of aa.com's earning pages to see if other promos look worth his efforts even if he presently dismisses AA credit cards.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...false&from=Nav
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:58 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by McSam18
I created AAdvantage accounts just recently for family members that only have DM accounts. Reason? I like to control and know my FF # and didn't want to be assigned one.
How do you control your FF#? Isn't it automatically assigned or did you have some input into the characters/numbers in it (like picking a personalized phone number or license plate)?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by PHL
How do you control your FF#? Isn't it automatically assigned or did you have some input into the characters/numbers in it (like picking a personalized phone number or license plate)?
I had some input through a connection.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:33 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, as this is not a publicly available benefit then it's kind of irrelevant for the topic of this discussion. Aside from wanting your own 'vanity' account numbers, there's really little reason for a DM member to create a new AA account at this point in the game unless they intend on achieving a Gold or Platinum challenge in the very near future.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
So, as this is not a publicly available benefit then it's kind of irrelevant for the topic of this discussion. Aside from wanting your own 'vanity' account numbers, there's really little reason for a DM member to create a new AA account at this point in the game unless they intend on achieving a Gold or Platinum challenge in the very near future.
Depends on what you brings you value. If you're going to credit certain partners, you may need an AA account. Also, I'd still rather have my AA number in advance instead of waiting to be assigned one.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I have rarely used AA # and frequently used DM#. I am afraid they will go with AA# in the future, while I would prefer DM# to prevail simply because I know it (it is the 6 alphanumeric combo).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My AA number was assigned in 1991 and has been 7 alphanumeric characters ever since.

My US DM number was a 9 digit numeric given to me in 1988. It was converted to a 7 digit alphanumeric in 1998 when they moved from whatever GDS they used at the time to SABRE. US and AA were mileage partners at the time and it was rumored they were going to merge. That never happened and they moved off of SABRE to SHARES after the HP merger, but my number held.

So now I have a 7 character alphanumeric account number in each program. I don't have a preference as to which one sticks, though I suspect it will be my AA one.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
My bad, I can't count mine is 7 char alphanumeric too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.