Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renew US Club or get the Citi Exec card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Renew US Club or get the Citi Exec card?

My US Air Club Membership is up for renewal in Dec 5. I'm US PLAT and I am sure I still have the $75 coupon from my DM Mastercard. The renewal I believe is $400/yr and if they take the coupon it goes down to $325.

I am considering not renewing and instead getting the Citi Executive Card which has an Admirals Membership included for $450/yr + 50K bonus miles.

Anyone considering this option?.

Seems like a no-brainer to go with the CC offer. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you're sticking with the new AA, the Citi card is the way to go. Only downside is that it doesn't have a spouse membership option (if that is important to you).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BSBD
If you're sticking with the new AA, the Citi card is the way to go. Only downside is that it doesn't have a spouse membership option (if that is important to you).
Thanks. The Admiral does not travel on her own. We always travel together. So that s not an issue.

I will get my Citi Application going. I do not see the point of buying the membership even when it is a business expense for me (self employed). I prefer to get the membership and 50K bonus miles for the $450 fee along with a shot at 10,000 qualifying miles.

I have the Delta Amex Reserve and I am canceling that this Friday. I will be Gold next year at DL and do not plan to travel much with them but I did like the 30,000 qualifying miles they offer. DL was good to me for many years. I guess living in Philly means AA all the way.

Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by PepeBorja
Thanks. The Admiral does not travel on her own. We always travel together. So that s not an issue.

I will get my Citi Application going. I do not see the point of buying the membership even when it is a business expense for me (self employed). I prefer to get the membership and 50K bonus miles for the $450 fee along with a shot at 10,000 qualifying miles.
FYI, airline lounge memberships are specifically disallowed as personal or business deductions. However, that rule does not apply to credit cards annual fees that might give you the same benefit.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Can you use your PLAT pricing for the club and the CC discount? I thoght you couldn't?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Can you use your PLAT pricing for the club and the CC discount? I thoght you couldn't?
I don't know the answer but the 50K bonus miles certainly help to offset the cost substantially. The extra 10K miles after 40Gs on expenses also sounds good.

Originally Posted by nall
FYI, airline lounge memberships are specifically disallowed as personal or business deductions. However, that rule does not apply to credit cards annual fees that might give you the same benefit.
Thanks for the info. I will check with my company. I did not know that credit card fees were deductible expenses.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by nall
Thanks for the info. I will check with my company. I did not know that credit card fees were deductible expenses.
This is regarding IRS deductions. Your company might/might not allow it.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Does anyone know when they charge the annual fee, it it on your first statement or at your card anniversary statement?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
An answer to this outstanding question. No. The T&C state that the $75 is off a new membership only. I learned this because I tried to renew with the coupon and was denied.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
CP renewal rate also went up with the merger too. I just renewed at the DCA AC on Sunday. Used to be $325 for CP, now it's $350. Not a huge increase, but still sucks nonetheless.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Superguy
CP renewal rate also went up with the merger too. I just renewed at the DCA AC on Sunday. Used to be $325 for CP, now it's $350. Not a huge increase, but still sucks nonetheless.
Ah the entitlement of elites ...

It's because you are buying a membership in the Admiral's Club now, as opposed to the US Club. For that extra $25 you are getting access to how many new clubs? Been in the ACs in ORD or DFW and compared them to the US Clubs in PHL or PHX? Did you complain when we gained access to the entire AC system this year at no additional cost, even though we paid the lower US rates last year?

In reality you are getting a much better value for your money, even if it is an extra $0.0685 per day for your membership.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
I posted near same scenario in Aviator card thread

My US Air Club Membership is up for renewal in Dec 5. I'm US PLAT and I am sure I still have the $75 coupon from my DM Mastercard. The renewal I believe is $400/yr and if they take the coupon it goes down to $325.

I am considering not renewing and instead getting the Citi Executive Card which has an Admirals Membership included for $450/yr + 50K bonus miles.

Anyone considering this option?.

Seems like a no-brainer to go with the CC offer. Am I missing something?
Hello.

I am CP who holds Barclays DM card. Highlights for me of card is the Certificate for 2 $99 travel companions and 10K PQM with card spend.

As CP I have the $100 deduction on Club membership brining cost to now $350.

I was one of the few who were targeted by Barclays to "upgrade" to new Aviator Silver Card. New card costs $195. It also offers the 2 $99 companion certs, 10K PQM's plus 3X mileage bonus for air purchases.

So both cards offer 10K PQM.

Citi Elite includes Club at $450 but had no companion ticket offering and 2X mileage bonus.

So for me, its do I think paying extra $95 is worth the 1x extra mile bonus and 2 companion tickets that Aviator card offers over Citi card.

Club cost of $350 and Aviator card cost of $195 = $545
Citi Elite card cost = $450

With a family of 6, i think its stay the course and upgrade to Aviator because I use the 2 certs every year for vacation trips at least.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Buffaloflyer
Does anyone know when they charge the annual fee, it it on your first statement or at your card anniversary statement?
For the Citi Exec? Its either the first or second billing statement... depends on when your first statement is cut relative to your approval date.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Don't forget the no foreign transaction fees when using the card overseas. That's what made the card a no brainier for me vs paying for an AC membership. That benefit alone will save me at min $600-800 annually over the standard AAdvantage card. Factor in it includes the Club there was really no question there.

Last edited by grahampros; Nov 8, 2014 at 3:34 pm
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Ah the entitlement of elites ...

It's because you are buying a membership in the Admiral's Club now, as opposed to the US Club. For that extra $25 you are getting access to how many new clubs? Been in the ACs in ORD or DFW and compared them to the US Clubs in PHL or PHX? Did you complain when we gained access to the entire AC system this year at no additional cost, even though we paid the lower US rates last year?

In reality you are getting a much better value for your money, even if it is an extra $0.0685 per day for your membership.
What about the loss of access to the United clubs? Need to look at the pros with the cons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.