• Some sort of priority reservations line
  • Guaranteed full-fare availability if booked 24 hours in advance
  • Priority check-in, boarding, etc.
  • No award processing or close-in fees
  • Priority standby
  • Confirmed move to an earlier flight (within 6 hours) for free
  • $400 club membership
  • Complimentary Upgrades for companions on same itinerary

Whereas, here's what AAdvantage Platinum gets (differences in bold/strike-through):
  • Sticker upgrades at 72 hours out
  • 100% mileage bonus
  • 2 free bags and priority baggage handling
  • Reserve preferred seats
  • Some sort of priority reservations line
  • Guaranteed full-fare availability if booked 24 hours in advance
  • Priority check-in, boarding, etc.
  • No award processing or close-in fees
  • Priority standby
  • Confirmed move to an earlier flight (within 6 hours) for free
  • $400 club membership
  • Complimentary Upgrades for companions on same itinerary
Print Wikipost

No more platinum / 75k for US

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

No more platinum / 75k for US

I guess there is no reason to shoot for 75K now. I plan to hit 50k then spread around to other airlines. I used to be able to hit 100k but without the credit card bump I don't see it ever happening.

(Obviously the new AA has 50k as "platinum" but the point is there is no 75k status).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
I agree 100% - so stupid

Literally no reason to go above 60 segments / 50k miles unless you know that you are going to hit EXP.

How hard would it have been to create that 4th level and give it a day earlier upgrade request window and a different mileage bonus????
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
How hard it is to do a MR for $1000 to get top tier status and grab 40k+ RDM?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keepssmile
Umm... hard. I haven't seen a $1000 MR for 25k miles plus some of us have families and can't spend a weekend flying just for status. Maybe a day sure but not 2-3 days.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle

Seriously ?? I've already spent 15K and 95 segments, I shouldn't have to!!!

They give ZERO incentive for half of my spend in terms of status.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
The best you'll do is about $800 for 20k miles, so you could in theory do it for $1600. Most likely NOT on AA metal, which means you will be sitting in the back of the bus guaranteed.

AA/OW almost never goes below $0.04 per mile (4 CPM). Which means again, about $1600 at the minimum to get what you want.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tt120
I agree 100% - so stupid

Literally no reason to go above 60 segments / 50k miles unless you know that you are going to hit EXP.

How hard would it have been to create that 4th level and give it a day earlier upgrade request window and a different mileage bonus????
That's like saying there's zero reason to go above 100k miles...

how about to actually USE your benefits you have as a AA PLT? Continue earning RDMs in a single program to burn for travel. There's a whole host of reasons.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I agree 100% - so stupid

REALLY? So after earning status, and all of the corresponding bennies, you are going to sit in the back of the bus, without status on another carrier?

Face facts - With all of the mergers, reduced first class capacity, there are simply too many elites running around, many who have not truly earned it (credit cards, EQM bonus promos, buy-ups), airlines have no choice but to thin the herd, focus on their best customers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:25 am

There's no reason to do mileage runs to hit 75k. I doubt airlines consider this a major factor in designing FF programs.

As others have said, you earn status to get better treatment when flying. This is a strong incentive to keep flying AA/US.

What airline are you going to switch to for a 75k elite level?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
I guess all flying rest of year goes to Delta, very easy decision. On US I'm at 72 segments with zero chance at 120 but had planned on getting to 90, now there is zero benefit to getting to 90. I'm really surprised they decided to totally screw 2014 qualifying Platinum's. Sounds like they are even going to have the Special Dividends expire early, nice bait and switch. If I had known this earlier I would have gone for Gold requalification on Delta, now I will be stuck at Silver on Delta next year. Only upside for me is there is no reason for a mileage or segment run in December now unless I find an incredibly Cheap 20K MR on Delta.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Looking at DL and UA's platinum levels (75k) they offer very few notable benefits over the gold (50k) levels with the exception of higher priority complimentary upgrades. With AA sticking with stickers for the time being, this becomes less important as the likeliness of upgrades for lower tiers clearing tends to be higher in general than airlines which offer complimentary upgrades for all.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by diver858
REALLY? So after earning status, and all of the corresponding bennies, you are going to sit in the back of the bus, without status on another carrier?

Face facts - With all of the mergers, reduced first class capacity, there are simply too many elites running around, many who have not truly earned it (credit cards, EQM bonus promos, buy-ups), airlines have no choice but to thin the herd, focus on their best customers.
Legacy AA folks like you should be happy. This is basically the 30 year old AAdvantage program with very few changes. Still stuck in the time warp.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by diver858

Nowhere is this more evident than a Friday afternoon ORD-DFW flight. By the time "priority" boarding has finished, the flight was 70% full.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I agree 100% - so stupid

\

Why would you want to spend the time earning your status here, then essentially giving it up to go sit steerage on another carrier?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
\

Why would you want to spend the time earning your status here, then essentially giving it up to go sit steerage on another carrier?
I have Gold on Delta and US, so I wont sit in steerage on Delta. Many of us have status on a second airline, which was apparently rare for the AA cult members. I am already past Gold and was going for Platinum on US. I was struggling to even make it to Silver on Delta but that will be easy now. Delta will now be my preferred carrier until the end of February 2015 when I go down to Silver from Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.