FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Downgraded by US Airways (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1614284-downgraded-us-airways.html)

Soly Sep 20, 2014 6:54 am

Downgraded by US Airways

I was flying (with my wife) from DCA to LAS with US Airways with a connection throughout CLT.
Booked First Class A ticket online. I am a BA EC Gold/One World Emerald member.

Our flight from DCA to CLT was delayed (more than 2 hours) because of a technical problem on the aircraft. They switched us to another plane but subsequently we missed our connection from CLT to LAS.

In CLT they put us on another flight to LAS in economy. Mind you, it is a 4.5 hour flight! I spoke to customer relations desk in CLT and asked them if there is any sort of compensation for this downgrade and they said no. I said I will take another route to LAS but on first but they were a little rude and kept denying any of my requests. I asked for the supervisor and she told me that I have upgraded to first and that is why I am not entitled for any comp. I explained to her that I did not get upgraded! I bought the ticket online. Then she changed the tune about if they provide me with an alternative flight they do not owe me anything, regardless of what class travel my alternative flight is.

What do you guys think?

aztimm Sep 20, 2014 8:59 am

As this applies to US Airways, I'll move the thread to that forum.

aztimm

Air Rarotonga Sep 20, 2014 9:09 am

That's unfortunately how american airlines work now...

They complementary upgrade their status customers up to 72hrs before the flight in F-cl. On the day of departure most F-cl cabines were fully booked. If somebody with a paid F-cl needs to be involuntary rerouted, no seats in F-cl were empty. And they don't downgrade the status holders with free upgrade and paid Y-cl ticket, they prefer to downgrade the real F-cl customers...

I personally don't understand that! I mean upgrades are OK, but if somebody with a paid F-cl ticket needs to be booked on such a flight, complementary upgrades should be downgraded first (to what they paid for their ticket)...

cmd320 Sep 20, 2014 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga (Post 23555250)
That's unfortunately how american airlines work now...

They complementary upgrade their status customers up to 72hrs before the flight in F-cl. On the day of departure most F-cl cabines were fully booked. If somebody with a paid F-cl needs to be involuntary rerouted, no seats in F-cl were empty. And they don't downgrade the status holders with free upgrade and paid Y-cl ticket, they prefer to downgrade the real F-cl customers...

I personally don't understand that! I mean upgrades are OK, but if somebody with a paid F-cl ticket needs to be booked on such a flight, complementary upgrades should be downgraded first (to what they paid for their ticket)...

To clarify, this is how US Airways works. AA only offers complimentary upgrades for EXP or PLT/GLD traveling in full fare economy. Additionally, EXPs clear up to 100 hours from departure.

The OP purchased what is called an instant upgrade fare. Though they're marketed as F, it's in fact a Y fare with an instant upgrade to F. Under normal conditions you will always be seated in the F cabin, however in IRROPS when switching to another flight, there must be seats available in the F cabin, otherwise you will be seated in Y as that is the true fare you're on. As Air Rarotonga said, due to complimentary upgrades for all levels of elites on US Airways, the F cabin usually goes out full long before IRROPS occur and this leaves customers on instant upgrade fares SOL.

I believe this is extremely misleading to the customer and airlines should not be allowed to sell these fares as first class. AA used to actually call them 'instant upgrade' on their website, however that terminology has seemingly disappeared. Delta does the exact same thing. Poor business if you ask me. :td:

justforfun Sep 20, 2014 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 23555280)
To clarify, this is how US Airways works. AA only offers complimentary upgrades for EXP or PLT/GLD traveling in full fare economy.

Not correct. AA offers elite upgrades from all fares, even the cheapest ones.

cmd320 Sep 20, 2014 9:25 am

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 23555293)
Not correct. AA offers elite upgrades from all fares, even the cheapest ones.

Yes, but not complimentary ones. As far as I'm aware, PLT and GLD still need to use stickers for upgrades if they are not travelling full fare.

Soly Sep 20, 2014 9:28 am

If I knew that this is an instant upgrade, then I wouldn't have bought it. I usually buy full fare First class, its not a big difference in price. Actually the fare I bought said non refundable First class as up posed to the flexible first. there was no mention that it was any sort of upgrade. I was sure of the dates of my travel, so I decided to buy the cheaper one as there was no reason to pay extra when I was sure of my dates (I had date sensitive commitments).

When you buy a non refundable first class, it still is a first class ticket!

This sort of ticket is available irrespective of your membership status, so in no way is this an upgrade.

aztimm Sep 20, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Soly (Post 23554809)
I was flying (with my wife) from DCA to LAS with US Airways with a connection throughout CLT.

Was the DCA-LAS nonstop not offered on the day you flew?

Soly Sep 20, 2014 9:58 am

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 23555370)
Was the DCA-LAS nonstop not offered on the day you flew?

It was no offered. I would have loved to fly direct!

Dave Noble Sep 20, 2014 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Soly (Post 23555315)
If I knew that this is an instant upgrade, then I wouldn't have bought it. I usually buy full fare First class, its not a big difference in price. Actually the fare I bought said non refundable First class as up posed to the flexible first. there was no mention that it was any sort of upgrade. I was sure of the dates of my travel, so I decided to buy the cheaper one as there was no reason to pay extra when I was sure of my dates (I had date sensitive commitments).

When you buy a non refundable first class, it still is a first class ticket!

This sort of ticket is available irrespective of your membership status, so in no way is this an upgrade.

There is quite a big difference in price; the cheapest instant upgrade base fare is $772 vs $1617 for a 1st class fare that is not an upgrade fare

It sucks, but in the USA airlines can get away with this so called claim that it is not a 1st class fare but an upgrade and the refund should get downgraded is quite pitiful

Soly Sep 20, 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 23555446)
There is quite a big difference in price; the cheapest instant upgrade base fare is $772 vs $1617 for a 1st class fare that is not an upgrade fare

It sucks, but in the USA airlines can get away with this so called claim that it is not a 1st class fare but an upgrade and the refund should get downgraded is quite pitiful

Actually when I bought the tickets, the difference was around $300 - $400 for each ticket. However, the difference between Y and A was substantial. We bought a one way ticket, not a return.

It really is a pity how they treat their customers. I use US airways almost exclusively when I fly within the conus since I am based in PHX when in the US. The supervisor did not care at all to what my membership status was. It was really disappointing.

Dave Noble Sep 20, 2014 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Soly (Post 23555460)
Actually when I bought the tickets, the difference was around $300 - $400 for each ticket. However, the difference between Y and A was substantial. We bought a one way ticket, not a return.

It really is a pity how they treat their customers. I use US airways almost exclusively when I fly within the conus since I am based in PHX when in the US. The supervisor did not care at all to what my membership status was. It was really disappointing.

That is the 1 way fares that I listed. If you paid $1400 ish for the one way fare , then indeed only about $300-$400 less than an F fare.All of the 'A' fares listed are Instant Upgrade fares; it is only the F fares that are truly 1st class fares - plus are fully refundable so if an airline pulls such a trick, easy to refund and go to another airline

Membership status has no bearing on fare rules

It is dismal that the airlines can get away with it in the US and that there is no proper protection against it

cmd320 Sep 20, 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 23555498)
It is dismal that the airlines can get away with it in the US and that there is no proper protection against it

Agreed. I've complained to the DOT about this practice before but about Delta which does the exact same thing. DOT seemed uninterested. Perhaps more people need to flood them with complaints.

Soly Sep 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 23555753)
Agreed. I've complained to the DOT about this practice before but about Delta which does the exact same thing. DOT seemed uninterested. Perhaps more people need to flood them with complaints.

I sent US Airways a complaint 3 days ago. So far no reply!

Fanjet Sep 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 23555303)
Yes, but not complimentary ones. As far as I'm aware, PLT and GLD still need to use stickers for upgrades if they are not travelling full fare.

Yes. And they're issued complimentary stickers for every 10K miles they fly. And their upgrades off of the cheap fares can clear as early as 72 hours before their first flight (24 hours for Gold).