FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Downgraded by US Airways (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1614284-downgraded-us-airways.html)

masamune Sep 24, 2014 2:23 pm

There is a way to view the fare code prior to booking, but it isn't obvious. On the page after selecting your flights (where you put in passenger info), next to the departing airport(s) there should be an arrow. Click the arrow and it should then show the details under Cabin. I believe this is the only place it shows up in the booking process.

Soly Sep 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Airbridge (Post 23560056)
I am a consumer and manage to make informed choices every day. If I do not understand what I am being offered I take to the time to clarify and check. It really is not a difficult thing to do.If I make the wrong choice then i accept the responsibility for that error and do not try to dump it elsewhere.

Yet you appear to be going out of your way to make sure you do not.

If you admit to not understanding codes and see no good reason for you to educate yourself before making a purchase then calling a sales person for clarification and guidance on which product to purchase would seem like common sense to me without the need for a website to treat me like a 5 year old and direct me to make that call. It is nothing to do with a consumers point of view it is all about your point of view. Millions of consumers manage to make the purchase and understand what they are buying every year.

Actually it is exactly the point, it would appear that you just do not want to agree with it because it does not fit with your view of the situation. You made a poor choice that did not fit with your needs and now want to lay the blame for that at the airlines door. A contract involves two parties each has a responsibility for understanding it.

Actually it seems like you have no idea about what you are talking about here.

US airways replied to my complaint and apologized. They offered me a $200 voucher as an apology and they will issue a refund.

If I was in the wrong, they would have stated all the bull$hit that you have been spewing.

Basically, I purchased a first class ticket. I was downgraded because they didn't have places in first class cabin after I had missed my flight because of a technical failure on the flight. The whole issue had nothing to do with the "instant upgrade" since I did not buy an instant upgrade. It is the responsibility of the vendor to be clear and transparent with their customers. Full stop. It's pathetic for someone to think that consumers should dig up hidden information before making a purchase that states they are buying a first class ticket.

Here is the actual letter from US Airways for everyone's reference. The missing part of the letter asked me to tell my wife to send an email saying that I can handle the communication on her behalf:

Dear Mr. xxxx:

Thank you for writing to US. I'm sorry your flight to Charlotte was delayed.

I understand how frustrating this delay must have been. Our records show that your flight was delayed for mechanical reasons and this is not something we take lightly. Safety is our first priority in these situations along with making repairs as quickly as possible.

It is relatively easy to provide good customer service when an operation is running smoothly. We know the test of quality service occurs when we are faced with flight irregularities and problems such as you experienced. We are truly sorry for the delay of Flight 762 and the inconvenience it caused. Your frustration with our failure to operate this flight as scheduled is understandable. It is not our intent to create difficulties for our customers and we make every effort to avoid flight interruptions.

I can see this flight’s delay caused you a major inconvenience. To reiterate my apology and as an invitation to try US again, I have issued one Electronic Travel With Us Voucher (E-TUV). Your E-TUV is valid toward the purchase of travel on US Airways. Please be advised the E-TUV is not valid with Internet bookings and must be redeemed within one year from the date of issue. In addition, please take a moment to read the terms and conditions listed below to receive the full benefit of this compensation. When you are ready to make your future travel arrangements, please call our Reservations Department at 800-428-4322 and provide the E-TUV code listed below. The customary ticketing fee will not be assessed at the time of booking with our Reservations Department.

Name Record Amount Issue Date Expiration Date
xxxxx xxxx CXRLMH $200.00 23 Sep 2014 23 Sep 2015

In addition, I’m sorry you weren’t able to sit in First Class. We do everything possible to prevent anyone from being inconvenienced, but there are certain circumstances that require our agents to move a customer from First Class to Coach.

I’ve asked our Refund Department to check for a fare difference from your flight to Las Vegas. Please allow time for them to review your refund request. The refund will go back to the original form of payment. If you used a credit card to pay, please allow 1 to 2 billing cycles for the refund to show on your statement.

Mr. xxxx, once again I want to sincerely apologize about the difficulties you experienced. Based on your comments, it appears we could have done a better job of assisting you, and I assure you the necessary steps will be taken to help prevent a recurrence. We know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling, and we thank you for choosing US Airways.

Sincerely,

xxx xxxx
Representative, Customer Relations
US Airways Corporate Office

I actually do not care about the refund or the $200 Voucher. I might not even use it. I just wanted the admission that the airline was wrong. That was enough for me.

I really appreciate how US Airways handled my complaint. They were very professional. I am sure I will fly with them again.

chyvan Sep 28, 2014 12:46 pm

You have to be careful with posts on here. I want to believe stuff by people that have flown a lot, but if they don't buy these UP fares, how would they know from first-hand experience what really happens.

I bought one of these UP fares because it was a smoking deal (but it was with Delta so it's not really applicable to US Airways). I'd read the downgrade threads about how I wouldn't get much money back. I was downgraded on the short segment of a multisegment trip, but I complained anyway. My total ticket cost was $292, and I got a $200 voucher and $122 as a refund. I made money on the deal.

Maybe the better outcome was I did know beforehand what could happen, so I was complaining IMMEDIATELY, and not after the flight was flown. The first person I dealt with said the standard, "but you really have a coach ticket," but I went to next level.

scottsam66 Sep 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 23557572)
Granted you have every right to feel you've been cheated, however, that does not change the facts that they were within the rules to do what they did. You may not like it, but it is up to you to know the codes, they are part of the contract you agreed to regardless of what portions you chose to read.

Agreed, they should be more transparent, but the industry has built many rules solely to protect themselves. Until enough people complain it will continue. Expect government intervention to take a long time. Consumer protection has migrated to protecting businesses from consumers.

A well worded complaint might get you some traction, but don't expect it. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Except US doesn't publish these hidden rules anywhere!

scottsam66 Sep 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 23559884)
You are absolutely, positively correct in your comments. Many threads on FT about the "deceptive" nature of these fares.

As a new to US Air (or AA) flyer subject to irrops you found the problem quickly. On 99% of flights it's not an issue.

I now always look before paying. If it says refundable then it's probably a F fare if it is not refundable then it's probably an upgrade.

Deceptive and annoying I agree.

I think you need to read up thread. US sells First class refundable tickets that are instant upgrade fares.

scottsam66 Sep 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Airbridge (Post 23560056)
I am a consumer and manage to make informed choices every day. If I do not understand what I am being offered I take to the time to clarify and check. It really is not a difficult thing to do.If I make the wrong choice then i accept the responsibility for that error and do not try to dump it elsewhere.

Yet you appear to be going out of your way to make sure you do not.

If you admit to not understanding codes and see no good reason for you to educate yourself before making a purchase then calling a sales person for clarification and guidance on which product to purchase would seem like common sense to me without the need for a website to treat me like a 5 year old and direct me to make that call. It is nothing to do with a consumers point of view it is all about your point of view. Millions of consumers manage to make the purchase and understand what they are buying every year.

Actually it is exactly the point, it would appear that you just do not want to agree with it because it does not fit with your view of the situation. You made a poor choice that did not fit with your needs and now want to lay the blame for that at the airlines door. A contract involves two parties each has a responsibility for understanding it.

I disagree with 100% of your comments, particularly the condescending tone directed at OP. So millions of Pax buy these fares and educate themselves, huh. Two words, prove it. My position is millions buy these fares and have no idea what they are buying. Only time it matters is IRROPS and when first seats aren't available on next flight.
Your anti-consumer attitude is troubling.

scottsam66 Sep 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Airbridge (Post 23568910)
A gives you 150% as does C, D, F and Z everything else is 100% with the exception of I and X which are not really applicable

As mentioned by NYCommuter this was NOT always the case :p

You are viewing this through the prism of an airline employee? With a name like Airbridge just a guess. Great! You know then that the ONLY mention of US website says FIRST CLASS that it doesn't mean first class. 99.9% of flyers don't. It's called a deceptive practice.

Dave Noble Sep 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Even with a full 1st fare, if involuntarily downgraded , the airline will only provide a refund back to an economy fare; no different with an instant upgrade; the big difference would be the magnitude of the refund due to the higher cost of the F fare

If the OP believes that the reply from US admits some wrongdoing in relation to upgrade fares, that's great , but don't see it myself in that letter

If there was consumer protection such as in EU that properly penalised airlines and compensated passengers for downgrades, I suspect that the issue would almost vanish