Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Change (different from what was booked)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Aircraft Change (different from what was booked)

Recently flew on a US Airways flight and every indication was that things were normal until I actually got on the plane and it was a different plane. Does this happen often?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Different how?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

The plane went from A321 to 757.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
On occasions there is an equipment swap from time to time for various reasons. Depends on which configuration and which cabin you had your seat it might be a slight improvement (i.e. if you got old Envoy is better than domestic F).

If you would be less vague in your question you could get better answers. I.e. date, flight number, etc.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Poster

September 14, 2014. Flight 660 from PHX to SNA. It wasn't improved for me. Im just wondering if that happens often for US Air. I don't fly US Airways often.

Last edited by hsumh316; Sep 15, 2014 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hsumh316
September 14, 2014. Flight 660 from PHX to SNA. It wasn't improved for me. Im just wondering if that happens often for US Air. I don't fly US Airways often.
No, I've flown HP/US for years and have never had a last-minute plane swap. However, it can happen due to operational considerations. PHX-SNA is less than an hour in duration. Does it really matter?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
No, I've flown HP/US for years and have never had a last-minute plane swap. However, it can happen due to operational considerations. PHX-SNA is less than an hour in duration. Does it really matter?
Does it really matter? Not really for a short flight. I do have multiple upcoming transcontinental flights where it would definitely matter. I wasn't complaining. I was just wondering if it happens often. There is a reason why I left the question vague.

Last edited by hsumh316; Sep 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...I was just wondering if it happens often. ...
It doesn't happen often, and I've been flying US as my primary airline for years. I recall once being switched PHL-CLT from an A321 to 767/757 without notice, and that was years ago.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kudzu
It doesn't happen often, and I've been flying US as my primary airline for years. I recall once being switched PHL-CLT from an A321 to 767/757 without notice, and that was years ago.
Thanks kudzu...I will keep my upcoming transcontinental flights....
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
ExpertFlyer's flight status lists it as the 757 with registration N905AW and that it was out of the gate 24 minutes late from PHX but not the reason for the swap. My guess? Maintenance, and rather than cancel, they swapped. Could also have been a delayed crew, etc or something of that nature.

I would say that these kinds of swaps happen to me once or twice a year domestically on my average 120-150 flights/year. It's not common, but it's definitely preferable to the alternative, which is generally cancellation or a big delay.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phlwookie
ExpertFlyer's flight status lists it as the 757 with registration N905AW and that it was out of the gate 24 minutes late from PHX but not the reason for the swap. My guess? Maintenance, and rather than cancel, they swapped. Could also have been a delayed crew, etc or something of that nature.

I would say that these kinds of swaps happen to me once or twice a year domestically on my average 120-150 flights/year. It's not common, but it's definitely preferable to the alternative, which is generally cancellation or a big delay.
Yup, it was 757. They did mention some maintenance issue for the 757 which was the reason for the delay. The delay was fine. The flight was great and I am thoroughly appreciative that it didn't get cancelled or delayed further.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I have been on both the winning end and the losing end of a swap a few times.
It does not happen often. I think in all my years of flying with US, the last-minute swap to totally different hardware has happened maybe 5 or 6 times.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Does it really matter? Not really for a short flight. I do have multiple upcoming transcontinental flights where it would definitely matter. I wasn't complaining. I was just wondering if it happens often. There is a reason why I left the question vague.
Honestly, US doesn't have that many 757's in its "West" (former HP) fleet. They have a whole lot of 321's. So, from a numbers perspective, it's unlikely.

I have heard of A320/A319 swaps on flights with light loads, but have never experienced such a swap. But, in general, it can happen on any airline. IME, Delta has been the worse at this on the day of departure without notice.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Honestly, US doesn't have that many 757's in its "West" (former HP) fleet. They have a whole lot of 321's. So, from a numbers perspective, it's unlikely.

I have heard of A320/A319 swaps on flights with light loads, but have never experienced such a swap. But, in general, it can happen on any airline. IME, Delta has been the worse at this on the day of departure without notice.
thanks formeraa....I don't think it happens often...I was just surprised that it happened when I flew US for the first time in quite a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.