Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to Preferred 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Yeah I can't imagine any situation where it will be worth it if they raise it even more. For the amount it costs to buy up, you could probably pay to upgrade to first for cheaper and get any other benefits for cheaper than the cost of buying up.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I got a feeling this gravy train might be coming to an end. Maybe they'll do something similar to UA with the "pay an extra $300 for 2x PQM on your flight" or however much it is...

Go Gators
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'd expect something closer to what AA offered last year.

• If you are within 5,000 miles or 5 segments short of reaching Gold status, you can boost to the status for the cost of $399.
  • If you are you already Gold and are way off from retaining it and out of the “boost” range, you can buy it back for $649. Gold normally requires 25,000 miles or 30 segments.
  • If you are up to 10,000 miles or 10 segments short of achieving Platinum, you can boost to the status for the cost of $899.
  • If you are within 5,000 miles or 5 segments short of achieving Platinum, you can boost for $699.
  • If you are you already Platinum and are way off from retaining it and out of “boost” range, you can buy it back for $1,199. Platinum normally requires 50,000 miles or 60 segments.
  • If you are up to 10,000 miles or 10 segments short of achieving Executive Platinum, you can boost to the status for the cost of $1,799.
  • If you are within 5,000 miles or 5 segments short of achieving [Exec] Platinum, you can boost for $1,199.
  • Unfortunately there is not a renewal option for Executive Platinum, which usually requires 100,000 miles or 100 segments.
(via http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/amer...ions-now-live/ )
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by apeortdz
You are correct. 01Oct is the switchover date ... assuming they still allow buy-ups for the next year.
Well, it is Oct 1 so I checked US Airways website regarding the "buy up to preferred". The site has changed . . . It states to check back later as they are updating this program due to the merger. Just the other day, the site still had the previous US Airways way of buying up.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
It's not cheap. Probably cheaper to do a MR depending on how close you can get.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html
This link now gives no info. Says to "check back later".
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I went out of my way to get to 75,000 miles this year. I may have to fly 15,000 more just to ensure I can buy up.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sounds like it's see ya later to the buy up program...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Buy Up Preferred

That's an expensive goal.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Sounds like it's see ya later to the buy up program...
I'm thinking so. Buy up is no longer mentioned on the "how to qualify" page.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
If there is no more buy up then you would assume they have a plan in place for migrating the two programs. I really wish they would tell us before the end of the year so we could decide whether we need to do a few mileage runs.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by pkr529
If there is no more buy up then you would assume they have a plan in place for migrating the two programs. I really wish they would tell us before the end of the year so we could decide whether we need to do a few mileage runs.
You should be looking at this more critically than that. The longer you go without announcements on the material portions of the program - like tiers, qualifying rules, upgrades, etc, the harder you should be looking at other programs. In a consolidating industry, I don't at all think I'm being overly pessimistic by saying the longer you go without news, the less favorable the announcements are going to be to travelers.

Look at how fares have risen this year. Look at what the other large carriers are doing. AA can reclaim a LOT of ground from its frequent travelers and probably will.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I wouldn't count this program out completely. I am sure it won't take the same form as it has in the past, but AA has offered a similar program in the past. Usually only for the first few months of the year and you had to be much closer to your level and you couldn't get to the EXP level.

At the end of the day these programs are almost pure profit for the airline. It certainly costs them less then you taking a mileage run.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
At the end of the day these programs are almost pure profit for the airline. It certainly costs them less then you taking a mileage run.
Makes sense. You give them cash, they wave a magic wand and poof, you have status. Costs them nothing.

MRs still have crew, airport, maintenance, fuel, etc cost and the ticket may not cover all of that.

So yeah, if I were an airline, I'd rather wave the magic wand for a high price rather than encourage a cheap MR.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: WFBF
Not really sure how I feel about this.

From planning out the rest of my year of flying, looks like I'll be Platinum and within what, in years past, would've been easy buy-up range of CP. Which is what I did last year anticipating 2014 would be the merger year, but now that I've been burned once by that I'm not sure I'd do it again even if it were possible.

Of course, the flipside risk is that if I stick to (or am stuck with) just being Platinum the "new AA" might keep AAdvantage's awful three-tier system and then I wasted a lot of flying that could've got me useful status somewhere else.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Superguy
Makes sense. You give them cash, they wave a magic wand and poof, you have status. Costs them nothing.

MRs still have crew, airport, maintenance, fuel, etc cost and the ticket may not cover all of that.

So yeah, if I were an airline, I'd rather wave the magic wand for a high price rather than encourage a cheap MR.
And you can still sell that seat to another customer. Of course there are other smaller costs, higher status equals more bonus points to dole out on flights, and at the CP/EXP level you have the Chairmen Certificates/SWU to give out. The certs can have some real value which may be why the AA program excluded renewing to EXP.

Here is the details on AAs program last year, the original page is gone on the AA site, but I predict it will be back.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/amer...ions-now-live/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.