Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has CLT-BCN/LIS/MAN/BRU been cut?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
The question that is actually more important than "Is route x profitable?" is "Could the aircraft/slot/route authority/etc be used more profitably elsewhere?". This is really the key for the future of CLT to smaller European destinations.

I suspect you'll see them tinker some in the next few summers - in PHL we've seen routes like ARN, BHX, MXP and OSL come and go, SNN come, go, and come back, EDI start this year, and upgauges and season extensions on BCN and VCE among other tinkering. This could include more experimentation of routes from CLT, tries for the same routes out of JFK, PHL or MIA, or just about anything else. There are some impediments to this (spreading crews and aircraft types all over the place, regulatory hurdles for new routes, etc) but if a route is a marginal performer, something will happen. I also suspect that any slots that they can get their hands on at LHR will quickly be snapped up, potentially at the cost of dropping service on another route entirely.

What low hanging fruit are left? CPH, OSL, VIE, IST and ARN are Star hubs. Bad time to start Moscow given the political environment. HEL might make sense from PHL. More frequency to MAD? NCE, DUS? Iceland? Or do you focus on Latin America with "spare" 757s and A330s? Whatever the answer is, it should be an interesting few years coming up for AA international service.

Last edited by phlwookie; Jul 24, 2014 at 6:17 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
You don't really know that CLTBRU and CLTLIS are definately dead, there has not be any sign that they are cutting CLTBRU/LIS yet. Could you please eleborate on that comment. The CLTLIS load factor is good and the average Coach fare is well over $1,000, it could be profitable, I haven't looked at the stats yet though. As for CLTBCN and CLTMAN, they can probably run during the summer.
As the forums merge, you'll learn that among all the idle speculation and self-proclaimed experts, there are about a half dozen posters on the AA side who generally know what they're talking about. MAH4546 is one of them.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:24 pm

...... Also there is a reason why the second daily CLT-FRA has ALWAYS resumed at least two months before the second daily PHL-FRA- becuase it does better; I have seen figures that I am not allowed to post, however I can say that CLT-FRA does better than PHL-FRA. So acording to your logic, if one daily USA-FRA would be cut- I wouldn't be surprised to Philadelphia to be cut, before Charlotte.
Your emotions appear to be guiding your rationale, rather than facts. I'll say one thing, CLT is very fortunate to have a flag waver as forceful and dedicated as yourself. BTW, this year, the seasonal CLT-FRA ends on 9/1/2014. PHL-FRA seasonal ends on 10/1/2014. So I guess they decided to shorten the one that "does better", by a month this year.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:08 am
Original Poster

I'll say one thing, CLT is very fortunate to have a flag waver as forceful and dedicated as yourself. Thank you. That actually means a lot to me.

BTW- The second daily CLT-FRA started sometime in April with an A333/A332 combo, the in May the second daily PHL-FRA started with a A332/762 combo, which later gave way to double daily A332 on both routes. And next year, the second daily CLT-FRA has been loaded to start a month or two before the second daily PHL-FRA is scheduled to start- both the second daily CLT/PHL-FRA will probably be cut soon enough, due to the fact US left Star.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Jul 25, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:52 am

[QUOTE=Piedmont767;23254245]Are yes! The person who said CLT-MAN would never happn, the person who said CLT-GIG would be cut in early 2010, among other things. The person who has predicted doom and gloom for Charlotte, for years and been wrong nearly all the time. Really sounds like he know what he is talking about!

And you were correct when you recently said that Phl-Dub was down gauged to 767 because the route was not performing well and some one asked if there were issues with the A332 fleet and you said no they are running perfectly when in fact one airframe was out of service (you quickly edited that post) I live here in CLT and I believed from day one this merger would not be good for CLT internationally speaking- I know you feel otherwise. Don't worry if you get bored flying CLT- Lon and MAD- you can always transfer to another AA base that will give you lots of flying opportunities
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: 1&2
Back in February I purchased a CLT-MAN non-stop for the end of September - return in October. I just received an email a couple of days ago changing my flight to a one-stop in PHL since they apparently trimmed the "season."
Do you think I should just accept this change without complaining or should I call and try to get some sort of compensation or something else for them changing my flight from non-stop to one-stop?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
!!!!MODERATOR WARNING!!!!

I'd like to invite everyone to review the Flyertalk Rules here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

They can be found at the top of every page on Flyertalk, under HELP.

If you see something that doesn't belong:
* Use the caution triangle to the lower left of the post to alert a moderator to the post
* DO NOT reply to the post
* DO NOT QUOTE the post

Thanks.

aztimm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by brero
Back in February I purchased a CLT-MAN non-stop for the end of September - return in October. I just received an email a couple of days ago changing my flight to a one-stop in PHL since they apparently trimmed the "season."
Do you think I should just accept this change without complaining or should I call and try to get some sort of compensation or something else for them changing my flight from non-stop to one-stop?
Is the price less now for this one-stop trip than it was when you purchased it for your non-stop? If so, you can easily cancel your flight and re-book it with the new route and get some money back that way. Otherwise, I wouldn't really expect any type of compensation from them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Are yes! The person who said CLT-MAN would never happn, the person who said CLT-GIG would be cut in early 2010, among other things. The person who has predicted doom and gloom for Charlotte, for years and been wrong nearly all the time. Really sounds like he know what he is talking about!
I have never predicted gloom and doom for Charlotte; I firmly believe the hub will remain a large on and is very important to AA. I predicted that CLTGIG would be discontinued as soon as US got access to GRU. I was right.

I don't recall ever saying CLTMAN would never happen - there's enough Florida feed for it to work; but the route is likely being discontinued anyway. There is no point in AA flying CLTMAN with it's higher cost structure instead of MIAMAN.

US and AA will still be separate for 2015, so this junk yield flying might last one more summer. And there's plenty of junk yield flying from PHL that won't survive, either.

If we really need any proof that CLT-Europe has an incredibly bleak future, look no further:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-domestic.html

AA officials have made it abundantly clear to CLT officials that CLT will not be a long-haul/international hub for the airline, hence the international terminal was canned.

Last edited by MAH4546; Jul 25, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
US and AA will still be separate for 2015, so this junk yield flying might last one more summer. And there's plenty of junk yield flying from PHL that won't survive, either...............
Lots of international connecting traffic is "junk yield" flying. So are you predicting that AA will discontinue all international connecting traffic via PHL and CLT, that does not have sufficient international O&D to produce glowing Yields? if so, then you must also be predicting that JFK will be magically upgraded via AA's extensive slot pool to add most of the PHL international connecting services as well as new services to compete with DL, etc. - and PHL relegated to a mostly domestic Hub, with limited service to only a very few high yielding destinations, such as LHR. Although I don't agree with the referenced posters glowing international future for CLT, IMO, it has nearly the same level of non-citation referenced credibility as those of the MIA flag wavers.

My prediction, at the expense of being repetitive, is that JFK/PHL will both be upgraded. JFK to support additional NYC O&D centric international traffic and bleed DL in an attempt to establish better HUB profitabilty. PHL to support the majority of connecting Europe/Near East traffic. CLT could retain some Caribbean tourist traffic, LHR, MAD and possibly 1 or 2 seasonal European destinations, which can be supported with local tourist rate O&D. If LH dropped CLT-MUC, I could see either a corporate supported year round FRA or MUC, with some established feed into CLT to enhance the yields. Unless AA feeds CLT-LHR, I'm uncertain if it could support 2 year round flights.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I have never predicted gloom and doom for Charlotte; I firmly believe the hub will remain a large on and is very important to AA. I predicted that CLTGIG would be discontinued as soon as US got access to GRU. I was right.
You predicted a lot of things for CLT-GIG since the service was applied for. One thing we can safely say is that we will never know what US would have done with it had the airline stayed independent.

GRU and GIG have been operated concurrently for more than a year now, so even your prediction of "as soon as" failed.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by C010T3
You predicted a lot of things for CLT-GIG since the service was applied for. One thing we can safely say is that we will never know what US would have done with it had the airline stayed independent.

GRU and GIG have been operated concurrently for more than a year now, so even your prediction of "as soon as" failed.
For an airline I read "as soon as" to be within a year. Now that both GIG and GRU are gone, what's next? My bet is that only the OW hubs and perhaps FRA will remain as year round TATL destinations from CLT.

This will leave CLT as something similar to what MSP is for DL, a dominant domestic regional hub with a handful of international destinations.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by C010T3

A one year overlap is certainly "as soon as," and GRU was operated with a horrendous daylight schedule that probably lost US hundreds of thousands.

But now we finally know that not only did CLTGIG absolutely suck in terms of financial performance, but CLTGRU was as big a disaster. Shocking.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Speedracer2
For an airline I read "as soon as" to be within a year. Now that both GIG and GRU are gone, what's next? My bet is that only the OW hubs and perhaps FRA will remain as year round TATL destinations from CLT.

This will leave CLT as something similar to what MSP is for DL, a dominant domestic regional hub with a handful of international destinations.
I just found more concrete evidence that CLT- LIS,MAN,BCN and BRU will not return in Summer 2015. Checking flight schedules for late June I noticed that none of these flights have been added in US Airways.com system. Some have argued they were new in 2014 so it will take time to evaluate. I found the PHL-EDI which was a new seasonal route in2014 has been added for the 2015 schedule this leads me to believe that CLT routes will not be back in 2015.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I can't seem to find LIS at all anymore from CLT. I know BCN is operating, but were MAN/LIS/BRU cut from the schedule this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.