Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips/Tricks to maximize chance of hotel reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Tips/Tricks to maximize chance of hotel reimbursement?

Apologies in advance if this is a common thread - search only dragged up results from 2012 and prior, and I'm pretty new to doing business with AA/US.

PHL melted-down on Wednesday night, and most flights between 8-10pm cancelled. While probably 90% of them were WX, my flight to CLE actually took a MX cancellation. While on the phone with the rebooking agent, she confirmed that I would be eligible for hotel accommodation overnight.

However, after ~45 minutes waiting in the B-15 Customer Service line, around 10pm, the agent started walking the line informing us that all contracted hotels were full, and they had no more rooms to give out. The "pink slip" displaced passenger service also had no rooms available. A quick Kayak search indicated that the closest hotels with rooms were actually 20+ miles away.

Since my re-accommodation flight wasn't until 9:25pm Thursday, I chose to book one of the far-out hotels ($159) and get a rental car (~$100) so I could at least get a decent night's sleep, a late checkout, and be able to get some work done on Thursday AM. The CS desk, on Thursday, gave me the mail-in address to send my receipts with a request for reimbursement.

So! Any tips/tricks, specific phrases, or bits of documentation (other than the obvious) that have proven a higher chance of success at getting reimbursement from US? Any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: None
First, need a hotel at a connection point. US doesn't furnish hotel rooms at origin or destination any longer.

Second, need a hotel because of a factor within US' control. Weather or ATC problems don't result in a hotel room being provided by US.

Third, as you saw, US can run out of rooms to hand out so get in line quickly. Better yet call your elite desk or if you have access the club agents can also speed up the process.

Jim
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I doubt they will reimburse for a rental car. I've had issues on UA & US and they always say they won't reimburse for a car due to insurance reasons, but they usually will for taxis.

As for advice, just lay out the facts in a few simple sentences and that you'd like reimbursement for your out-of-pocket expenses due to mechanical issues.

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
First, need a hotel at a connection point. US doesn't furnish hotel rooms at origin or destination any longer.
When did this change? Are there any exceptions to this? I've had hotels at both O&D in the past ~8 months when there were MX delays.

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Second, need a hotel because of a factor within US' control. Weather or ATC problems don't result in a hotel room being provided by US.
It was a MX delay according to the OP, so he should be in a covered situation as far as the reason for delay.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: None
The change in the contract of carriage is over a year old. Although not specified, elites may get special treatment.

I guess I misunderstood the OP - thought he was asking in general terms about getting a hotel room in the future and not just in the specific situation he found himself in.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.