Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Fast Track UK customs as Silver (and adding Silver status after buying ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

My parents are flying to the UK and they are taking US after all. I have a Special Dividends Trial Silver to give them.

Other than maybe an exit row, faster security and a better baggage allowance, does Silver status get anything on a trans-Atlantic flight, such as "Fast Track" pass through UK custom? (United gave me one of those when I was flying UA as a US Gold years ago, which I liked.)

Also, if a ticket is bought and then I give the person Trial Silver status after the ticket is bought, I assume that the person can then try for an exit row or Preferred seat, just as if the person were Silver all along?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Silver will not give them Fast Track in London.

Silver will give them the ability to change seats to a "preferred" seat.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
If you give the Trial Silver after ticketing, US will have to be called to "refresh" the DM number of the PNR. Otherwise, the new Silver status won't show up (as it will reflect what was the case at the time of booking). Once that's complete the Preferred/Exit seating can be selected.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There is no Fast Track through Customs. Business Class passengers get offered Fast Track through Immigration, but Customs is a separate agency and process.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed there is no fast track in customs , but there is rarely anything to hold anyone up betweern collecting baggage and getting landside.

Fast track for 1st and business class through immigration can make a lot of difference though
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
There is no Fast Track through Customs. Business Class passengers get offered Fast Track through Immigration, but Customs is a separate agency and process.
Yes. The line issue problem is almost wholly with UKBA and the immigration/passport control process. It's very uncommon to encounter a customs line at LHR, although if you or many others get pulled for a customs search in or after the baggage claim area, there is some chance of having a line -- just not common.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The last time I flew US in Envoy they were still not giving Immigration fast track passes (one of the many reasons I preferred LGW over LHR was the significantly shorter lines for passport control).

If they are flying into LHR they should try to sit as close to the middle door of the plane as possible, as usually they will deplane from that middle door and the fewer people ahead of you off the plane = the fewer people ahead of you in line, assuming you walk briskly once off the plane.

At MAN and GLA it is not so brutal. Fast Track is nice but not as critical as the lines are much more manageable.

You can occasionally find Fast Track passes for LHR and other airports on offer in Coupon Connection, assuming you've got the right post count and account age to get access to that forum. The CC rules have recently changed so make sure you read them carefully before trying to make a trade. If you present a Fast Track pass issued by an airline other than the one you are flying, it doesn't usually cause any issues. For a while I was hoarding passes from Virgin Atlantic, which they give you when you fly Upper Class, as my husband is a UK citizen and their lines are so short, might as well save his pass to save me some heartache when we fly coach.... all gone now unfortunately
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dcpatti
The last time I flew US in Envoy they were still not giving Immigration fast track passes
Out of curiosity, when was this (pre/post *A exit?) Three flights in the last year, all en Envoy, all with fast-track; but not since we left *A, though that shouldn't really have anything to do with it...
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyer78
Out of curiosity, when was this (pre/post *A exit?) Three flights in the last year, all en Envoy, all with fast-track; but not since we left *A, though that shouldn't really have anything to do with it...
My experience in the past several years is also that I've gotten the fast track cards when arriving LHR consistently on US in business (into CDG as well).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Thinking back, my last trip to LHR in Envoy was all the way back in November. No wonder my mother in law is so mad at us for not visiting!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:27 pm

For the record, I believe One World Emerald (CP) gets Fast Track even if you are in Y. I know that won't help the OP, but I thought I would mention it for the subsequent posters.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
For the record, I believe One World Emerald (CP) gets Fast Track even if you are in Y. I know that won't help the OP, but I thought I would mention it for the subsequent posters.
You believe incorrectly however. There is Fast Track security for some airlines as a OW benefit but Fast Track through immigration is not a benefit
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:52 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...migration.html
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:12 pm

That is very specifically a benefit to those travelling on BA and not a OW benefit and not a listed benefit for US

From http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges

Originally Posted by OW
Fast Track through security at select airports

We know your time is precious and you would rather be in one of the over 600 oneworld lounges rather than waiting in line at airport security. That is why, at select airports worldwide, our member airlines have arranged for oneworld Emerald frequent flyers to access the ‘Fast Track' or ‘Priority Lanes' at security check points. See below for details and the list of airports where this privilege is available:
There is no Emerald benefit for fast track immigration , just fast track security
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:44 am

Fast track for connections

It appears according to this http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...ies/fast-track that US customers are supposed to get Fast track for arriving and departing, but not connecting, in LHR. AA customers do get connecting Fast Track service.

I'm connecting from US in C (terminal 3) to TG in F (terminal 2) in Jan 2015. The minimum connecting time is a whopping 75 minutes, and it looks like I am not eligible for Fast Track connecting service.

I don't have a concern over missing my connecting flight, but my question is: is there really a different Fast Track card issued to arriving vs. connecting passengers on AA? Assuming I do receive a Fast Track card for arriving passengers, how likely is that to work for my connection?

I'm arriving into LHR at 7:05am from CLT on Jan 2. I'm imagining the day after New Year's will be somewhat slow.

I thought I'd see if others flying US have been able to use their arrival Fast Track cards for connections, and whether it saved them any time at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.