Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share Miles Split 100% Bonus until 6/30

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I've made a spreadsheet with the trips I've taken with the miles I have purchased in various programs where I compare the money spent with actual pricing for the flights I got at the time of booking (and the flights that could have been used as an alternative).

What I tend to notice is that I get less value for miles than I would have thought without that info. Because there's almost always an alternative that's better because it get's me the exact dates I want, with less stops or on a more preferred carrier/plane.

The two factors that are almost impossible to value are the flexibility of some award tickets for cancellations/changes bit also having a stopover. Sometimes that is worth a lot, and sometimes it isn't. But you normally know only after the trip if you should have bought/compared to a flexible or deeply discounted ticket. And then there flying Business/First vs Coach.....

And you are right, the personal use of the miles is a big factor as well. But what I see in general is that people tend to value their miles too high....
Plus there's the fact that by having the miles I tend to travel more, spending even more money :-). Especially due to the fact that when an error fare materializes I tend to look at that as well.

And AwardBee, that time spent searching award availability is both a blessing and a curse...

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 17, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AwardBee
I think of award vs paid travel as 2 different products that aren't perfect substitutes for each other. And so any valuation of miles is a rough approximation at best.

Miles will buy you trips that you wouldn't take on a paid ticket. Like visiting 2 distant continents on 1 ticket. I would never do that on paid travel. Generally wouldn't be cheap, and with that much flying in a short period of time I want to fly business class, and I can't be assured I can book J cabins on several different carriers at a reasonable price.
They also, as in my case, have paid for trips I would otherwise have been purchasing a 1st or business class ticket for , so have saved a lot of money and m even with the new share rate. a great value over buying tickets ( where I can be flexible on dates )

On valuation, I value them based on what I save over purchasing normal tickets . Obviously they have flexibility restrictions ( cannot change at all after departure on the ones I get ) and not useable in all cases, but where flexibilty like that is not needed, great value.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
And you are right, the personal use of the miles is a big factor as well. But what I see in general is that people tend to value their miles too high....
Plus there's the fact that by having the miles I tend to travel more, spending even more money :-). Especially due to the fact that when an error fare materializes I tend to look at that as well.

And AwardBee, that time spent searching award availability is both a blessing and a curse...
Finding a good mistake fare is like finding all the flight segments you need for an award in J/F. Either way you're getting an amazing deal. $500 around the world flight in economy? Awesome. $1200 all-in for a 2-continent business class trip? Also awesome.

Don't have time to search availability? Pay a booking service to do it, only adds marginally to the overall cost.

As for whether this promo is a bargain, it might be if it can be used strategically to top up 2 or more accounts to the levels needed for an award. But I think we can all agree, it's only half as good as the last promo in April, if even that.

This may be an omen of things to come - USDM will only be around for a little while longer. By this time next year they may have folded into AA completely and these buy/share mile promos may be a thing of the past. Same goes for their extremely generous routing rules
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Ok, newbie in this forum here - I don't even know if this is the "100% Share Miles Bonus Returns"

So let me get this right, I would have to have 50,000 miles in my account for me to do this. The recipient would then get MY 50,000 miles and then a 25,000 mile bonus. Then I would get 25,000 miles as a bonus for doing it.

Am I reading this right? Anyone have an extra 50,000 miles they want to give away
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
...So let me get this right, I would have to have 50,000 miles in my account for me to do this. The recipient would then get MY 50,000 miles and then a 25,000 mile bonus. Then I would get 25,000 miles as a bonus for doing it.

Am I reading this right? ...
Yes, you're reading it right. This new promo is discussed in this thread ... it's not as straightforward as before

Last edited by kudzu; Jun 22, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.