Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Three violinists denied boarding a US flight - wouldn't check violins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!

Not a lot of background info in this article, but this was clearly an express flight. I don't blame them for refusing to gate check their instruments. Possibly over-zealous staff?

http://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/20145/15851/

Edit: here is another article with a bit more information: http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/violini...m-bach-tarmac/

Last edited by rittenhousesq; May 27, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old May 27, 2014, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Do we know where the violinists were in the boarding order?

I'm struggling to see how fitting a violin in the overhead is different from any other bag. If you're boarding toward the end and the bins are full, what can be done? Should a passenger who already boarded be forced to gate check their bag?
Old May 27, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without more facts, what is the point of simply posting links to an article?

And to aztimm's question, what does OP propose should have been done in this instance?
Old May 27, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm

I'm struggling to see how fitting a violin in the overhead is different from any other bag. If you're boarding toward the end and the bins are full, what can be done? Should a passenger who already boarded be forced to gate check their bag?
Appears to me that you may have skimmed over the linked articles, which appear to make their boarding order irrelevant.

The initial issue was that an employee handed them a slip of paper that said that violins were prohibited in the cabin:

In a phone interview on Monday night, Kendall said that incident began when he and De Pue were changing planes in Charlotte, headed for Arkansas. As they climbed the stairway to the US Airways Express commuter jet, a flight attendant reportedly handed them a blue slip stating that the FAA prohibits musical instruments on the plane, "which was stunning because we're frequent fliers," he said. "We had never heard of this."
http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/violini...m-bach-tarmac/

Originally Posted by Often1
Without more facts, what is the point of simply posting links to an article?

And to aztimm's question, what does OP propose should have been done in this instance?
The links contained the pertinent facts. Dunno if they're true, but violins are not prohibited items, contrary to the slip of paper allegedly handed to the musicians by the employee.

The articles contain the usual song and dance from spokesholes about how the employees were trying to follow policy and trying to do the right thing.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver

If I may offer some perspective...

As a violinist back in the day and have had traveled with an orchestra abroad, I can tell you a violin case may not fit into the overhead bin depending on the aircraft. Violins come in different sizes and thus the cases are proportional to the size. On the RJ as seen in the video, the bins on it probably are narrower and shallower that prevents a violin case from being put in there. You can't store it under the seat...Maybe sideways under two seats. So US Airways has a point. From the violinist perspective, instruments can be extremely expensive (up to a million plus for a Stradivarius) so people get sensitive about putting them in cargo hold. Things like humidity, air pressure, etc may adversely affect the wood of the violin too.

Some of the Philly orchestra brought their instruments on an Airbus and even played onboard! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFhYPsgroMk

Boarding order shouldn't be relevant here.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Boarding order shouldn't be relevant here.
How isn't it relevant? If they are last to board, and all space taken, then where would they put their instruments?

If they were first on the plane, perhaps they'd have pick of spots for them. Same as anyone else intending to put a bag in the overhead.

I did see the section on a US employee giving them a note. Yes, that was wrong. But space on the plane is space on the plane--first come, first served. I repeat my earlier question--should US ask someone else to gate check a bag to make space for a late-coming violin?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
I repeat my earlier question--should US ask someone else to gate check a bag to make space for a late-coming violin?
Not that there's a way to enforce that, but that's the utility-maximizing outcome, like it or not. Expensive items that are prone to damage/adverse effects if they were to be placed in the cargo hold should be favored in the aircraft cabin above those items that wouldn't, regardless of boarding time. You don't put a $1 million item at risk for someone else's $250 worth of bulky clothes that would be fine either way. The maths just doesn't make sense.

I'd be fine with airlines monetizing this strategically - have guaranteed reserved space for certain categories of items deemed to fall into this bucket and charge for it.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Why not just buy an extra seat for a $1 million instrument?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Flame-proof suit in place:

What is an orchestra doing in Arkansas?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:39 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Not that there's a way to enforce that, but that's the utility-maximizing outcome, like it or not. Expensive items that are prone to damage/adverse effects if they were to be placed in the cargo hold should be favored in the aircraft cabin above those items that wouldn't, regardless of boarding time. You don't put a $1 million item at risk for someone else's $250 worth of bulky clothes that would be fine either way. The maths just doesn't make sense.

I'd be fine with airlines monetizing this strategically - have guaranteed reserved space for certain categories of items deemed to fall into this bucket and charge for it.
So the value of the carry-on should be considered? I can see the discussion on board now: "My carry-on is worth more than your's so I get preference!" Really???!?

If its worth that much and you are prone to travel, shouldn't you get a case that protects it accordingly and associated special insurance?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:40 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
But space on the plane is space on the plane--first come, first served. I repeat my earlier question--should US ask someone else to gate check a bag to make space for a late-coming violin?
Yes they should. A violin is a very expensive, quite fragile heat/humidity sensitive item. Most carry-on luggage isn't. A violin cannot safely be checked in. Most carry-on luggage can be checked in, but isn't, as the owner considers it inconvenient (or doesn't want to pay extra for the service).

In this case the airline should (after stopping lying to the customer about FAA-regulations) get some of the other passengers to gate check their (less fragile) carry-ons, free of charge, of course.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:41 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by ksu
Yes they should. A violin is a very expensive, quite fragile heat/humidity sensitive item. Most carry-on luggage isn't.
And a Cello?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:45 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by tireman77
And a Cello?
Cellists pay for an extra seat for their instrument. Search for threads about FF miles for Mr. Cello
Old May 27, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
+1 (bold is mine)
Old May 27, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ksu
Yes they should. A violin is a very expensive, quite fragile heat/humidity sensitive item. Most carry-on luggage isn't. A violin cannot safely be checked in. Most carry-on luggage can be checked in, but isn't, as the owner considers it inconvenient (or doesn't want to pay extra for the service).

In this case the airline should (after stopping lying to the customer about FAA-regulations) get some of the other passengers to gate check their (less fragile) carry-ons, free of charge, of course.
Or maybe the violin's owner can take the initiative and make an offer to customers on the plane.
If the instrument is valued at $500,000, offering $100 for someone to check a bag shouldn't be unreasonable. And I'd expect them to get takers--I know I certainly would

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.