Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which regional jets require gate-checking rollaboards?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Which regional jets require gate-checking rollaboards?

I have a 21" Travelpro and am wondering which aircraft types cannot accommodate it in overhead bins.

Sub-question: If I simply check this bag, what's the chance it will make a 30 minute connection at PHL? Both flights are express, not mainline, in case that makes a difference.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:41 pm

Check
*Dash-8
*Saab
*CRJ 200, 700, 900 (?)
*ERJ 145

ERJ 175 do not require checking.

RJs with first class should give a blue valet tag to first passengers which come off before yellow tag.
Old May 10, 2014, 2:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by gj83
*ERJ 145

ERJ 175 do not require checking.
The ERJ 140 also requires valet checking; it is a shortened variant of the ERJ 145.

As a pedantic side note, there is no such thing as an ERJ 175; that would be the E-175. Embraer use a different naming convention for these aircraft.
Old May 10, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
In other words, everything except the E-170 and E-175....
Old May 10, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gj83
RJs with first class should give a blue valet tag to first passengers which come off before yellow tag.
At PHL, that's a definite "maybe" to "probably not".
Old May 10, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Timely issue for me...I made a tiny scene last night on delayed CR9 BNA to CLT concerning space for my rollaboard. In order NOT to have to wait for my gate checked bag in CLT and increase the liklihood of making my connection, I insisted that there would be room for my bag (Rimowa standard size) in the overhead bin in F cabin on this CR9 op by MESA. The FA stopped me and told me that it was not allowed (not that it wouldn't fit). I was decently pouty about it, but was SHOCKED to find the small, non upgraded bins that were the same size as Y -- the FA was right, my bag would not have fit.

I swear that there are CR7s and CR9s out there with really deep bins in the F cabin that can hold rollaboards, but I might be confusing UA branded flights with these bins?

Why wouldn't US require bin upgrades in F like the other majors on CR7s and CR9s or can we expect this is future? I certainly would find this a benefit, esp when outstations do not have Blue tags, only Yellows.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It also depends on what type of express plane you are connecting between.

If you connect between two planes in the F terminal (CRJ-200, Dash-8) you'll be fine, if your flights are on-time, even with a gate check. In the event of a PHL related delay, then most express flights will be delayed so you should be fine as well.

The ERJ 140s/145s flying under US Airways Express should mostly be gone by now if not all gone.

If you are connecting between an F terminal flight and a ERJ-170/175 (always in B or C), i would call and get that changed. 30 minutes is really too tight for a terminal change and a ride on the bus.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Both flights are E175s.

I'm shut out of a seat assignment on the first segment. (Booked fairly late.) Only options are paid Choice seats. Guess I'll check at T-24 and hope elites clear out of the front rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.