Search

PHL to TLV Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, United Silver
PHL to TLV Upgrade Question

Hi All,

I am going to be flying from PHL to TLV on USAirways in approx 1 month. I was wondering if anyone knew what it would cost to purchase an upgrade?

I have previously been offered the option to purchase an upgrade on other USAirways flights but wanted to see if anyone had any info on what cost would be.

I do have gold status on AA, however, I know that this is not really recognized at USAirways when it comes to upgrades.

Any information would really help.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: None
While I don't know the cost for that specific flight I suspect it will be at least $700 per international segment. Most people suggest paying it on the eastbound flight to Europe since the westbound is during the day but TLV service is overnight both directions.

FWIW no elites get automatic upgrades on the US TATL flights. CP's do get upgrade certificates for themself and a companion either 2 or 4 certs for 1 or 2 R/Ts.

You may be able to upgrade with miles but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Jim
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
40k miles + $300 (or 40k miles + $0 if on a Y or B fare). Don't know if AA miles would work or not.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:02 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by blzfan
I do have gold status on AA, however, I know that this is not really recognized at USAirways when it comes to upgrades.
AA Gold status doesn't get recognized on AA for international upgrades either, so that's a wash. You will get the free baggage, priority boarding, priority checkin, priority standby (if needed).

PHL-TLV is the longest flight in the US network at the moment. You can wait until 24 hours prior to departure and call to inquire, but don't be shocked to hear something close to $1000 for the upgrade - if available. As previously posted, if you have the points, you can try to use them (with the copay) to save some money.

I think, for the most part, US' international upgrade scheme is similar to AA. AA offers check-in upgrades (called Load Factor Based Upgrades) for a fee, and they offer point based upgrades. For their ExPLT members, they provide a handful of Systemwide upgrades to use.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:52 am

I was onced offered an upgrade, by email, from US Airways for my CLT-LHR, they wanted $1094 for an upgrade; that jumped to $1200 on the day of departure. For my CLT-GIG flight in January they wanted $950 on the day. I remember that serveral years ago, you could get Envoy for $250 plus a little something extra for the gate agent.

But seeing as PHL-TLV, is the longest flight in the system, expect a upgrade fee, probably north of $1000.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Apr 30, 2014 at 11:53 am Reason: Speeling- look I still can't spell! :)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:33 pm

Just a quick check shows almost zero availability in Business Class (it's no longer marketed as Envoy) on PHL-TLV for the entire month of May and first 2 weeks of June.

This route fills quickly and is very difficult to upgrade @ T-24.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It was $900 to upgrade at the gate in March. My parents told me that when they flew TLV-PHL, after getting 2 seats released at around T-5 to clear their CP certs, the gate agent sold 4 at the gate, and the last Envoy seat went to a non-rev.

They may jack up the price during the summer, of course.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:27 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onic
Just a quick check shows almost zero availability in Business Class (it's no longer marketed as Envoy).
Was that a quiet change that they ushered in after the merger? "Business Class" seems so bland and like all the others. The new AA should have retained "Envoy Class" for their business class product. But then, they also should have considered a different name for the former American Eagle.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
Was that a quiet change that they ushered in after the merger? "Business Class" seems so bland and like all the others. The new AA should have retained "Envoy Class" for their business class product. But then, they also should have considered a different name for the former American Eagle.
It was, to standardize the product. I liked the Envoy name too, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and "business class" is the industry standard name.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Buy-up on PHL-TLV is 40k miles and $300, other option is $900, third option for CPs is the CP cert.

Either way it is hard to get. I was lucky to be able to score 40k/$300 (not ideal but was worth for me) last year on PHL-TLV. However on my return seat was not available.

I /think/ that at T-4 the CP cert can no longer be used as control is switched to the airport and only the miles/$ is left.

Short of the above, if you want to have good experience on this route, just grab 14 $10 starbucks or amazon or something gift certs and give them to the cabin director to distribute to the crew.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Originally Posted by fordan
40k miles + $300 (or 40k miles + $0 if on a Y or B fare). Don't know if AA miles would work or not.
If anyone finds the answer to this let the board know. (if / when you can use AA miles for miles + copay upgrades on US operated flights)
Old May 5, 2014, 2:42 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumpgate
If anyone finds the answer to this let the board know. (if / when you can use AA miles for miles + copay upgrades on US operated flights)
It is not possible <yet>.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rade-chart.jsp

Upgrade awards are only valid on individual published-fare tickets on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or the American Connection carrier

AA and US still operate as two separate airlines, so the chart only applies to those as stipulated above.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, United Silver
Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it. Does any one know if it makes a difference that I paid for the ticket vs. using miles? The ticket code on the way there is N and on the return is Q.

Would I still be eligible for the 40k + $300?? Because $900 is way more than I paid for each of the segments.

Thanks
Old May 6, 2014, 2:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blzfan
Would I still be eligible for the 40k + $300?? Because $900 is way more than I paid for each of the segments.
Yes, you can use 40K and $300 each way if available. The way to check is look for Business Class award availability at the "low" award level. Especially in the days leading up to the flight. When you see that available, it's usually an indication that you can call to use miles (and cash) for the upgrade.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHL
Yes, you can use 40K and $300 each way if available. The way to check is look for Business Class award availability at the "low" award level. Especially in the days leading up to the flight. When you see that available, it's usually an indication that you can call to use miles (and cash) for the upgrade.
I'm pretty sure that TLV upgrades book into the "J bucket". For PHL-TLV this is published on EF and KVS.

This does not exactly match "I bucket" for TATL business class awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.