Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Upgrades -- everyone pays (eff. 23 April 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
AA fee is $75 one way up to three segments 15kmiles, wonder if they will be raising their fee to match US.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
AA fee is $75 one way up to three segments 15kmiles, wonder if they will be raising their fee to match US.
I'd bet on it.

I'd bet fees will generally the match the highest of whatever each charges to "align" fees. That is, of course, they just don't raise them higher than what either charges already.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Looking back at it, phl-mco at 6000 miles and $50 was palatable for one way to secure the upgrade ahead of time. Now I had to wait until within T-7 until seats opened but better than gambling at the silver window.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'd bet on it.

I'd bet fees will generally the match the highest of whatever each charges to "align" fees. That is, of course, they just don't raise them higher than what either charges already.
This is a case where I would not bet on it. The combined carrier I bet will use the AA model.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Mileage Upgrades -- everyone pays (eff. 23 April)

And how does it work for AA?
Old May 7, 2014, 4:30 pm

Has anyone ever had to cancel or change a flight where they used miles to upgrade? Are those miles gone forever?
Old May 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I inquired about this after having used miles to upgrade not too long ago, and was told that I could change as long as there is O space available on the other flight, but if not, or I elected to cancel, the miles would be redeposited plus a $150 fee. Not too cheap.
Old May 7, 2014, 5:33 pm

Mileage Upgrades -- everyone pays (eff. 23 April)

So you get a 200 change fee plus the 150 fee to get the miles back?
Old May 7, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by ACA321
I inquired about this after having used miles to upgrade not too long ago, and was told that I could change as long as there is O space available on the other flight, but if not, or I elected to cancel, the miles would be redeposited plus a $150 fee. Not too cheap.
Redepositing miles for any reason -- canceling an award ticket, downgrading an award ticket, or canceling an upgrade -- incurs the same fee, I believe.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: dividend miles
I just tried to book an upgrade and found this out. Very mad about it. Why do I go through the trouble of being a chairman again? It is starting to not be worth it.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
You got that right.

Some folks have been excited by the merger -- about a new, imaginary route structure; glasses instead of plastic cups in F; and F meal service on 2h45m flights.

Others of us see the "alignment" of "benefits" across programs as a net decline. I'm anticipating revocation of fee-free award miles redeposits for CPs; and far fewer upgrades than all US preferreds had been experiencing on the old airline, without glassware in F.

I hope I am wrong so that I can enjoy the glassware in F and continue to marvel at the super route structure that we are constructing. I mean, they could only have merged to increase capacity and lower fares, right?

Anyhow, welcome to FT.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
You got that right.

Some folks have been excited by the merger -- about a new, imaginary route structure; glasses instead of plastic cups in F; and F meal service on 2h45m flights.

Others of us see the "alignment" of "benefits" across programs as a net decline. I'm anticipating revocation of fee-free award miles redeposits for CPs; and far fewer upgrades than all US preferreds had been experiencing on the old airline, without glassware in F.

I hope I am wrong so that I can enjoy the glassware in F and continue to marvel at the super route structure that we are constructing. I mean, they could only have merged to increase capacity and lower fares, right?

Anyhow, welcome to FT.
I'm reserving judgment for now. However, I agree that we've seen a net negative trend forming.

I may end up doing a foreign FFP for at least some perks, like A3's *G. Other than that? Kayak.

We'll see how it shakes up. I'll enjoy the ride in the meantime.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All gonna be a balance by the time the two programs are merged when the two carriers run under a SOC.

There will be US people who paid cash for their CP who likely wind up as EXP and will be delighted. The Silvers not so much.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:24 pm

I honestly don't think they fully merge until 2016. Who knows though. It is probably the least of their worries.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've actually changed my mind on this. Initially I was disappointed in the change, but now I think I like it. I think ultimately it protects the F cabin a bit more and increases the upgrade changes for those of us who weren't going to redeem miles. I can't tell you the number of times I've been looking at flight two months out, and half the seats in F are gone - I'm presuming primarily through mileage upgrades.

If that practice lessens now as a result of the co-pays and means more upgradeable space for me, I'm all for it.

Second thought: Let's not co-opt the "change we'll like" moniker for negative merger items, as I think that's a bit tired/overused from the past few years at United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.