Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingmusicianlax
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Starting June 11th, AA elites will be able to upgrade on US flights, within 24 hours of departure.

AA E-mail:

Originally Posted by AA
We promised to keep you updated during our integration journey and want to take this opportunity to bring you the latest news. We're combining our airlines and doing this with you in mind. In January, we brought you the first merger benefits – the ability to earn and redeem miles with US Airways, along with select reciprocal elite status benefits. Here's more on what's ahead.

Upgrade on US Airways

Until we integrate our programs, we will introduce the ability for AAdvantage elite status members to upgrade to First Class on US Airways within 24 hours of departure, beginning June 11, 2014. If available, an opportunity to upgrade will be presented at check-in for US Airways-operated flights within and between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America and will be provided on a first come, first served basis. If a seat is not available, you can also choose to add yourself to the upgrade standby list.

These upgrades are complimentary for elite status members and one companion traveling in the same reservation – just as they are on US Airways today for Dividend Miles elite members.
And US elites will be able to upgrade on American flights (US Chairman Preferred members for free).

US email:

Originally Posted by US
Until we integrate our programs, we will introduce the ability for Dividend Miles Preferred members to upgrade on American within 24 hours of departure, beginning June 11, 2014. If available, an upgrade will be presented to you at check-in for American-operated flights within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America and will be provided on a first come, first served basis. We recommend you book in a single passenger reservation or upgrades may not be available.

[In version of email to US Chairman:]
Chairman's Preferred members will receive these upgrades complimentary – just as they are on American today for Executive Platinum members.

[In version of email to US Platinum/Gold/Silver:]
Dividend Miles Gold, Platinum and Silver Preferred members will be able to upgrade at the cost of $30 per 500 miles of travel – just as AAdvantage Gold and Platinum members can today
Reported rules for passengers on mixed-metal connections, and for multiple-passenger PNR's are detailed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23003452-post168.html

Note that if you are a US elite flying an AA operated flight, you can not get on the upgrade wait list. The only (published) way to upgrade on an AA flight is if you request the upgrade and the applicable inventory (books into A) is available at that time. There have been inconsistent reports on which agents are available to do this. Though, in theory, it should be possible any time after check-in. You can monitor A inventory using services such as ExpertFlyer or KVS. More info regarding inventory controls HERE. Note that, based on this post, A inventory for US elites may be more restricted than regular A inventory.

There may be a workaround to this dilemma for US elites flying AA metal; those of you from the US side may find this post from FT user Scholity helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23018850-post228.html
Print Wikipost

AA 500 mile upgrades on US?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
June 11th is the date for reciprocal LFBUs. All AA elites on USAir won't be charged sticker equivalent (per Dividend Miles program rules) while USAir elites (outside of Chairman's Preferred - EXP equivalent) will be charged $35 per 500 mile segments (per AAdvantage rules).

This should be fun!
Old May 30, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I wrote about this two days ago - <redacted>

Moderator note: We have guidelines here for bloggers; you must follow them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks
If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post and you must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link.

Last edited by JDiver; May 30, 2014 at 7:19 am Reason: redacted blog link not meeting FlyerTalk Rules
Old May 30, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by jammanxc

Sorry, I don't read your blog.

Last edited by JDiver; May 30, 2014 at 7:21 am
Old May 30, 2014, 12:15 am

1st stage of reciprocal upgrades US<->AA coming soon

LFBU? Did you mean UDU/sticker upgrade?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
One would theorize that if AA elites on US didn't have to pay for upgrades, while US elites on AA had to pay for upgrades...says that the 500-mile sticker program is here to stay. No complimentary upgrades.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
One would theorize that if AA elites on US didn't have to pay for upgrades, while US elites on AA had to pay for upgrades...says that the 500-mile sticker program is here to stay. No complimentary upgrades.
Or one would theorize that the simplest first step is to open reciprocal upgrades, but have each program continue applying its own pre-existing rules for them.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JonNYC
All sorts of signs-- RM running tests, etc-- that the first stage (which may not be all that wide-reaching) will be with us very shortly.

Of course not all that out-of-the-blue, as it was stated:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...&postcount=177
This article was referenced in another thread a while ago, and I believe it is in Reciprocal Benefits. Let me take a look and post the link.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Or one would theorize that the simplest first step is to open reciprocal upgrades, but have each program continue applying its own pre-existing rules for them.
The easiest first step is to open up complimentary / reciprocal upgrades for just CP and EXP. The rules for those two tiers are already aligned (unlimited and complimentary for domestic flights for all CP and EXP) and I would think it's a relatively easy change to make
Old May 30, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by sukn
June 11th is the date for reciprocal LFBUs. All AA elites on USAir won't be charged sticker equivalent (per Dividend Miles program rules) while USAir elites (outside of Chairman's Preferred - EXP equivalent) will be charged $35 per 500 mile segments (per AAdvantage rules).

This should be fun!
If I book my no status wife with me (AA Plat) on US metal - will we both be on the upgrade list?
Old May 30, 2014, 6:42 am
Suspended

Great, thanks for the deets.

Originally Posted by jammanxc
You shoulda posted it here then.

Sorry, I don't read your blog.
Me neither-- a huge multitude of blogs to read for one to keep up with every one, I don't even know how one could do it. If it's AA, link to it here if it's news, I'd think.

Originally Posted by george 3
This article was referenced in another thread a while ago...
It was indeed, saw it here as well.

Last edited by JDiver; May 30, 2014 at 7:25 am Reason: redacted blog link violating TOS
Old May 30, 2014, 7:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the details are rolling out, we've moved this thread to the Consolidated / merger forum and left a permanent trailing link, as this news will affect AA and US flyers.

7. Linking to content on other websites

FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. (See also, Rule 9 — Posting Copyrighted Material.) Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.

If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post and you must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link. Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website.
/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; May 30, 2014 at 10:39 pm Reason: add Rule no. 7
Old May 30, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold

This should be fun!
What in blazes is an LFBU ?
Old May 30, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by dml105
What in blazes is an LFBU ?
Load Factor Based Upgrades. Some more details listed in the Ts&Cs: http://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/mer.../LFBUTerms.jsp
Old May 30, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by iadp
Load Factor Based Upgrades. Some more details listed in the Ts&Cs: http://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/mer.../LFBUTerms.jsp
Why do we think it's going to be LFBU as opposed to aligning at least some elite tiers (CP - EXP) with complimentary upgrades at the time of initial availability? If I'm not mistaken, LFBU means that all AA status members will have already been given a shot at either complimentary upgrades (EXP) or spending 500-mile upgrade credits before any US elites (such as CP) even have a crack at upgrades through LFBU. Or?
Old May 30, 2014, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We can speculate 'til the cows come home, but we'll drink no milk before they do. It's going to be what it's going to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.